Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 05:50 AM   #1
RedDogAlberta OP
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,686
Dual Systems. A Mistake?

Forgive me if this ground has been covered. I have a Garmin in my Jeep and have been bidding on Ebay for motorcycle units, unsuccessfully so far. In fact the Buell unit is a Garmin.

So a friend just won a motorcycle Tom Tom at the local motorcycle show. It's available to me brand new in the sealed box for a screaming hot price.

Is it stupid to embark on two systems from a download and map upgrade perspective? I'm very new to this GPS business and would appreciate opinions from those in the know.

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,199
Depends on how many types of maps you use and where. If you only use one of them in the cage, then no worries. Since most (if not all) Licensed Routable map sets are locked to only one GPS these days you don't really get any multi-unit advantage by having many Garmin - for example - when it comes to Locked Map sets.

For maps that are not Locked it is certainly easier if you only have Garmin since all Garmin use the IMG file format. Not all TomTom use the same map types so you should check the model you are considering vs. other models.

There are usually Map Converters that will convert one vendors format to another (just haven't found one for TomTom) for non-Locked maps only.

For example, I have several Garmin GPS and I'm considering a TwoNav Aventura. The CompeGPS Land PC software for the TwoNav will convert my non-Locked Garmin maps (in IMG format) to maps I can use on my TwoNav.

Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com

DRTBYK screwed with this post 02-02-2010 at 04:30 PM
DRTBYK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,135
It's a huge mistake. Now gimme the guys name and number and I will take the temptation away!
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
RedDogAlberta OP
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,686
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie
It's a huge mistake. Now gimme the guys name and number and I will take the temptation away!
LOL Thanks. I went ahead and bought it for a song. I just opening it up this morning and can't believe the number of things in the box - WAY more assorted components than came with my Garmin for the Jeep. Looks like I have some reading to do.

The "guy" is actually a "she" and thought her Harley riding boyfriend would be thrilled. He's a city cruiser type and wasn't remotely interested in it (for free from her) which made it available to me for a song.

RedDogAlberta screwed with this post 02-14-2010 at 11:25 AM
RedDogAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote