Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #16
Iced Tea
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Quote:
You should be able to select map tiles in the Atlas and send them if the product shows as Unlocked. Make sure you can see the map detail at street level.
Yes in mapsource I see detail at street level, but my GPS only shows North American maps on it, there is plenty of space for the Mexico maps in the memory. Dont know what you mean by Atlas, cant seem to find any way to get the maps to the GPS........
Iced Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:52 PM   #17
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,126
In MapSource you must have the Mexico GPS Atlas 2010 v5.2 showing in the map product window, zoom way out so you can see most of the country. Then click on the Map Tool and you should see the map change showing the "tiles" that can be selected with the Map Tool. If you click on a map tile it will show up in the Maps list to the left. Select all of the tiles you want on the GPS and then use the Transfer -> Send to Device function to send them to the GPS.

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:51 PM   #18
BurnieM
Nipple boy

Oddometer: 4,104
It seems that the new Garmin maps are using a new unlock file on the PC

The old unlocking scheme still works but the problem with third party maps is that MapSource v6.15.9 onwards only supports FID (internal map id) of up to 2047.
Many third party maps are using FID higher than this and the maps stayed locked with the latest version of MapSource (v6.15.11 is now on the Garmin website).

Stan (from GPSmapper) can allocate a new FID for your product but then you have to recompile your maps and give your users a complete new copy of the maps as well as a new unlock code

You could always ask why Garmin would put this limit on the old unlocking scheme when they are introducing a new scheme for the latest Garmin products ? Why would they care unless they deliberately wanted to screw third party maps ?
BurnieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:39 AM   #19
Iced Tea
Gnarly Adventurer

Fantastic!!! Everything is working as it should, this is great. DRTBYK it seems that in a few posts you accomplished what 3 tedious calls to Garmin could not. I have to remember to not update my mapsource unless they make a fix for this problem. I purchased the NU Map lifetime download for my street pilot though, not sure iffin that was a good idea. Thanks, you da man!
Old 02-05-2010, 12:50 AM   #20
Iced Tea
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh Yea, ADV rocks!
Old 02-05-2010, 03:05 AM   #21
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
They probably came up with a new algorithm for locking maps???
Sorry - I should have put the "dripping with sarcasm" smiley in there.

The security they are enhancing is their own.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:09 AM   #22
Emmbeedee OP
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 9,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave
the "dripping with sarcasm" smiley
That's an oxymoron if ever there was one...
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:33 AM   #23
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnieM
It seems that the new Garmin maps are using a new unlock file on the PC

The old unlocking scheme still works but the problem with third party maps is that MapSource v6.15.9 onwards only supports FID (internal map id) of up to 2047.
Many third party maps are using FID higher than this and the maps stayed locked with the latest version of MapSource (v6.15.11 is now on the Garmin website).

Stan (from GPSmapper) can allocate a new FID for your product but then you have to recompile your maps and give your users a complete new copy of the maps as well as a new unlock code

You could always ask why Garmin would put this limit on the old unlocking scheme when they are introducing a new scheme for the latest Garmin products ? Why would they care unless they deliberately wanted to screw third party maps ?
Yep, all of the 3rd Party map makers that I have been in contact with over the past two weeks are well aware of what Garmin's done. I've tested several "test fixes" from many of them over the past week. The issue isn't whether they can re-FID their applications, it's really, why should they have to disrupt their customers [us]?

Garmin took a poorly conceived approach to a DRM problem and now their customers have to suffer for it. To some [me] it might appear as though Garmin's decided to start acting like Microsoft - act and let the rest of them react. Which leads me to the conclusion that I've spent my last dollar with Garmin.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 02-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #24
Iced Tea
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Which leads me to the conclusion that I've spent my last dollar with Garmin
Yes but is there a better product out there to replace our Garmins?
Old 02-05-2010, 01:27 PM   #25
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

I think so....check out the TwoNav thread

But, as the thread above will inform, we still need NA Maps (but I think it will happen sooner rather than later)

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 02-05-2010, 01:29 PM   #26
9Dave
Bazinga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK
The issue isn't whether they can re-FID their applications, it's really, why should they have to disrupt their customers [us]?
I hear you - but Mapsource isn't an operating system. It is a program that Garmin distributes to users of its products. So if others want to use that product rather than provide their own, it's up to them to make it work.

dunno.....
Old 02-05-2010, 02:00 PM   #27
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Interesting viewpoint...

Garmin established a 3rd Party Map Development Program quite a few years ago now in an attempt to attract map makers to develop products for the fledgling hardware company they were. Now with over 25 companies (and growing) creating Locked map products Garmin seems to be treating them rather harshly. Yes, Garmin technically "....does not support 3rd Party Map Products." And I suppose they tell all of their MPC "partners" that they will get a "best effort" approach to API support.

Actually, I really don't care - that's business in the OEM world...

What I do care about is how it impacts me when Garmin does something this stupid. I don't think Cliff Pemble told the head of Cartography to screw all of the MPC partners, but if I were in his position I'd have a new head of Cartography about now. My view is that businesses should never negatively impact their customers. And, if they do (things happen) they should own-up to it quickly. Anyone seen a response from Garmin with an apology? Just a view point - YMMV.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 02-06-2010, 08:34 AM   #28
9Dave
Bazinga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK
Interesting viewpoint...

Garmin established a 3rd Party Map Development Program quite a few years ago now in an attempt to attract map makers to develop products for the fledgling hardware company they were. Now with over 25 companies (and growing) creating Locked map products Garmin seems to be treating them rather harshly. Yes, Garmin technically "....does not support 3rd Party Map Products." And I suppose they tell all of their MPC "partners" that they will get a "best effort" approach to API support.
If they are not supporting 3rd party developers they promised to, that is a whole 'nother issue.

If people are developing their own apps and tying them into Mapsource, that's not an OEM issue.

dunno.....
Old 02-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #29
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

We're talking about the "'nother issue" condition. In this case the issue is that Garmin told Map makers to use Family ID's above 2400. Now the new schema won't read those Unlock codes. So, map makers are forced to change and we get to reinstall our 3rd Party Maps. Again, the act of installing a new version of a map is not the issue.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 02-07-2010, 07:53 AM   #30
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,447
Any software developing company with half a brain makes their current releases "backward compatible", so they don't fuck their customers over.
Microsoft have a nasty habit of rejigging the internal document formats every bloody time they do a new release of Word, for instance, but they make real sure that it will read and process earlier versions, and save in earlier formats too. Despite them being rapacious bastards, they still have enough nous to realise that alienating their customer base is a recipe for bankruptcy.
Given the serious competition from the proliferation of GPS-enabled phones these days, I am stunned that Garmin allow this to occur. It says to me that the people in charge have no idea what their company is actually doing to their customers.
And I agree with whoever said Garmin needs to sack the person who thinks this crap up. Their DRM is a moving disaster for customers.
They would do better to hand the source code over to the open source community, frankly it would result in a far superior product.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote