Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #1
sparky831 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Wicked CB500X ABS vs. Non ABS

Hey Folks,

I couldn't find the answer to my question which could already be answered somewhere else. I'm trying to decide if I should get the ABS version of the CB500X that I will mostly ride on pavement but will occasionally take off road.

Has anyone installed a kill switch for their ABS? Does anyone have first hand experience of the on/off road limitations of the ABS?

Thank you and I apologize if this is somewhere else already as I looked but I couldn't find any info on how the ABS was limiting on the dirt side.

Regards,

Carl

PS. Finally sat on one today and she felt good!
sparky831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #2
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,035
if you haven't already go read the CB500X thread. lots and lots of info there.

ABS is ABS. I didn't get it because I have road bikes all my life with out it. on this bike I think it's personal prefrence. a new rider I would say get it.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 06:31 PM   #3
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,762
Buy what feels best for you.

For what you describe, i would buy the abs model.
I do a fair amount of dirt and bought the abs. It works very good off road, better than my bmw abs.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
sparky831 OP
Adventurer

Thank you both for the input. I will search that thread. I'm leaning towards the ABS version. Can;t wait to pull the trigger!
Old 09-03-2014, 06:34 AM   #5
sparky831 OP
Adventurer

Help!

I read through more of the CB500X thread and can't find much on people's opinion of ABS for off road. Would you folks on ABS equipped models throw in your two cents regarding any off road riding you've done?

Thanks for any info!

sparky831 screwed with this post 09-03-2014 at 06:55 AM
Old 09-03-2014, 07:08 AM   #6
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky831 View Post
I read through more of the CB500X thread and can't find much on people's opinion of ABS for off road. Would you folks on ABS equipped models throw in your two cents regarding any off road riding you've done?

Thanks for any info!
Not about a CB500X but it is about ABS...

I used to have a 2006 BMW Dakar 650 GS. I was once riding it on a gravel road and went for the front brake and nothing... I had forgotten to turn ABS off. But I continued pressing all the way in and soon the brakes worked and I was fine. It was just a scare when I realized I had not turned it off.

Now I ride a 2012 Tiger 800XC. It has ABS. I ride it on dirt a lot and I NEVER turned ABS off. The ABS systems are so much better today. I don't even know how to do turn it off (well, I know, it involves a few menus through "settings" but never went trough the process).

ABS nowadays is good enough that I would not worry about it off road. Just that I would test it (practice it) anytime I go off road so you know what to expect. It is more important to know how to ride off road then to have ABS or no ABS, actually.

Here is a video of me riding my Tiger 800 and then realized I was going too fast on a reducing radius curve that goes through a bed of gravel before the curve tightens to the right. I stood up the bike and went firm on the front brake (I only use front brake, even on dirt) and the bike slowed down plenty well! I would never risk that maneuver if I did not have ABS.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:18 AM   #7
sparky831 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the response and cool video. That area looks a lot like the area I ride east of the Sierras. I come mainly from off road experience (XR400) and have never experienced a need for ABS while riding street bikes. I have a 1992 CB750 that the CB500X will replace. My friends say get the ABS but none of them ride off pavement, so it's nice to hear about first hand experiences from guys who have it and actually use it off road.

Just wondering how it would react in downhill turn situations on similar terrain as in your video. I think I'm going the ABS route so I'm sure I'll find out.

Thanks, again!
Old 09-03-2014, 09:24 AM   #8
Cypress
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Given the equal choice of going with ABS or non, go for ABS. $500 well spent. But if there's a leftover 2013 model with no ABS, and it's considerably discounted over a 2014 w/ ABS, I'd personally save the $$.
Cypress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:25 AM   #9
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky831 View Post
Thanks for the response and cool video. That area looks a lot like the area I ride east of the Sierras. I come mainly from off road experience (XR400) and have never experienced a need for ABS while riding street bikes. I have a 1992 CB750 that the CB500X will replace. My friends say get the ABS but none of them ride off pavement, so it's nice to hear about first hand experiences from guys who have it and actually use it off road.

Just wondering how it would react in downhill turn situations on similar terrain as in your video. I think I'm going the ABS route so I'm sure I'll find out.

Thanks, again!
Yes, Southeast Oregon is not too different than east of the Sierras. Sage brush country.

ABS also works on downhills: On the video below I'm going down a steep hill with ABD on (the video doesn't quite show how steep it is). Exception to the rear brake rule... I was using front and rear rear brake on this steep down hill. The bike had an idling problem, so the two times the rear wheel locked up was when the bike died which disengages the ABS and the wheel locks up (I was in first gear and was managing the clutch to keep the motor running, so I could have messed that up as well).

Check your insurance quotes for the CB500X with ABS and no ABS. I believe ABS will save you money in the long run.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 09-03-2014 at 07:35 PM
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #10
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,528
ABS for $500 more?
that's a no brainer, go for it.
ABS works when things are going wrong real fast. Most riders will say they can handle it when shit is going wrong real fast...they can't!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:20 PM   #11
sparky831 OP
Adventurer

I'm going ABS. Thanks for helping out. I may pull the trigger this weekend. I'm already working on my pvc fly rod travel case!

Happy trails!