Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #166
Dudu
n00b

Oddometer: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Not only did they NOT fix the issue on the newer Pegaso bikes (5 years now!), but they're making other bikes with different parts (different dash/tach) and still manage to implement the same issue!
Thats how Aprilia show its consistency !
Dudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:39 AM   #167
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Good idea, Cortez. I tried to search for more info on which areas should/could be sealed, but couldn't find anything. Any tips?

I wonder if the tach issues I had in the hot sun were from the heat causing previous moisture to turn into steam. If so, I would plan on opening it up and letting it sit in the sun to evaporate before sealing it up.

I've got nearly two years left on the warantee, so I'm not too worried just yet.
I'd take it to the dealership as soon as there's any visible fogging up, but
I'm sure they'd just defog the thing and give it back. It would be great if
there was just a few faulty items, but this issue seems widespread, so even
a new dash under warranty would fix the problem just temporarily.

Sooner or later you'll have to fix it yourself.
Unfortunately I have no specific pointers what to do and how, but the info
I DID see was on the AF1 ApriliaForums on the Pegaso subforum, but I'm sure
you'll find it on the Shiver / DD subforum too.

I've been researching the Pegaso and Mana for a long time so this kind of
info usually remains in my head, since it's been mentioned so many times.

Anyways, any Aprilia owner should be a member there, great bunch of
informative peeps.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #168
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nttra View Post
Thats how Aprilia show its consistency !

That consistency is what's kept me from owning an Aprilia for a while now!

I wanted a Pegaso Strada Factory instead of my ER6F, and now want a
Mana.. but..

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 06-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #169
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,773
Oh well, gauges are a distraction anyway. The majority of the bikes I've owned didn't even have any (at least not that worked).

From what I have read, the solution is to seal up the top, and add filtered vent holes to the bottom of the cluster. So far it hasn't affected how it runs. I'll rely on the warantee until it runs out, then tackle the fix when its my dime.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 11:19 AM   #170
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,423
Quote:
The instument cluster on the Dorsoduro sure is sensitive, for a "dual sport" bike.
Dual sport? The Dorso? You're kidding,right? Aprilia makes no pretense about this being anything other than a street bike. The fact that some owners choose to take it off pavement does not change that fact, nor the fact that the suspenders are longer than what you'd find on an R1.

Dual sport...
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #171
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

OK, so dual sport isn't quite realistic, but Aprilia calls it a supermoto on their website. Surely, Aprilia knows what supermoto means? Every supermoto race I've been to involves some jumps, dirt, and paved sections. It better be able to do all that if they're going to call it supermoto. It certainly has better off road suspension than the Hypermotard.

I plan to make a skid plate for it and take it off road. After all, it's a whole lot lighter than a GS, and I've seen those tackle some moderately rough stuff.

How 'bout we meet in the middle and call it an adventure bike?
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2011, 11:26 PM   #172
Cos
Re-Greekified

Quote:
OK, so dual sport isn't quite realistic, but Aprilia calls it a supermoto on their website. Surely, Aprilia knows what supermoto means? Every supermoto race I've been to involves some jumps, dirt, and paved sections. It better be able to do all that if they're going to call it supermoto. It certainly has better off road suspension than the Hypermotard.

I plan to make a skid plate for it and take it off road. After all, it's a whole lot lighter than a GS, and I've seen those tackle some moderately rough stuff.

How 'bout we meet in the middle and call it an adventure bike?

With a hundred mile range, it will be an adventure.

Supermotos involve dirt because they're essentially dirtbikes. Dirtbike suspension etc etc.

The Dorsoduro is a supermoto STYLED motorcycle. Big difference. The suspension will do fine on well groomed dirt roads but put it into any kind of washboard situation and you'll know it's not an SM. Suspension is street stiff and it don't get much looser. It's not sport bike stiff but it's not too far. It'll knock your fillings out

The other limiting factor for off road is tire selection with those 17s.

Not to mention that the bike is too pretty to trash off road.

That's my take on it though...it's your bike and you can pretty much do whatever ya want with it. I wish you luck and i want to see the photos.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:17 AM   #173
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos View Post
With a hundred mile range, it will be an adventure.

Supermotos involve dirt because they're essentially dirtbikes. Dirtbike suspension etc etc.

The Dorsoduro is a supermoto STYLED motorcycle. Big difference. The suspension will do fine on well groomed dirt roads but put it into any kind of washboard situation and you'll know it's not an SM. Suspension is street stiff and it don't get much looser. It's not sport bike stiff but it's not too far. It'll knock your fillings out

The other limiting factor for off road is tire selection with those 17s.

Not to mention that the bike is too pretty to trash off road.

That's my take on it though...it's your bike and you can pretty much do whatever ya want with it. I wish you luck and i want to see the photos.
+1

Just like a Versys.

I have no doubts they're more capable offroad then a 'normal' street bike,
but I wouldn't go off road with them.

Old 06-24-2011, 07:17 AM   #174
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,863
The Dorso has more travel than the versys!

I've had mine offroad and it does fine until you need traction from the street tires

100miles to reserve, kinda like the 950se

It does need some protection

The ergos are all dirtbike, I can stand comfortably for as long as needed.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:44 AM   #175
Cos
Re-Greekified

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
The Dorso has more travel than the versys!

I've had mine offroad and it does fine until you need traction from the street tires

100miles to reserve, kinda like the 950se

It does need some protection

The ergos are all dirtbike, I can stand comfortably for as long as needed.
To reserve? How'd you do that? I routinely got 75 miles to the light.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #176
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

There seems to be some variability in mileage. I also go 100 miles before low fuel light, with 2 passengers (400 lbs). I fugure I can easily do 140 miles per tank by my self. That's pretty close to what my old XL600R got.

Yes , I will probably be upset the first time I scratch it, but once that's out of the way it should be loads of fun.

I'm not doing much jumping and technical rock climbing any more, so I think the Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires should be fine. I just want to be able get to my favorite fishing spots via mild 4X4 trails. I've softened up the dampers a bit, and it actually handles bumps pretty well. For me, the seat height is the most intimidating part of off roading the Dorso.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:37 AM   #177
Cos
Re-Greekified

Quote:
There seems to be some variability in mileage. I also go 100 miles before low fuel light, with 2 passengers (400 lbs). I fugure I can easily do 140 miles per tank by my self. That's pretty close to what my old XL600R got.

Yes , I will probably be upset the first time I scratch it, but once that's out of the way it should be loads of fun.

I'm not doing much jumping and technical rock climbing any more, so I think the Pirelli Scorpion Trail tires should be fine. I just want to be able get to my favorite fishing spots via mild 4X4 trails. I've softened up the dampers a bit, and it actually handles bumps pretty well. For me, the seat height is the most intimidating part of off roading the Dorso.
Ya gotta watch the little things with the Aprilia.I had a coolant hose blow out on me spewing coolant on my leg. Had i not been in gear i'd be in some deep kaka. It's stuff like that that would make me feel iffy about taking the bike into the gnarly stuff.

They're thenthitive machines.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #178
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Yeah, I agree that there are certainly risks with water cooled bikes. There aren't that many air cooled bikes any more, though. I almost bought the Hypermotard because of that, but the wheelbase felt too short, and the suspension too stiff. I always wear pants, so I don't expect any worse than 2nd degree burns. I would be more concerned with a coolant covered rear tire on pavement.

Another issue is the electric start. It would be a bummer to get stuck with a dead battery out in the boonies. It would be nice to have a back up kick starter, but that wouldn't help all of the other electronics that run the engine.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #179
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider

Oddometer: 3,389
Sat on the 1200 this week, and have ridden the 750 in the past. Gorgeous bike in person and I know I would just do bad things on these.

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #180
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Has anybody installed the GPR steering stabilizer on the Dorso? I get a little wobble in front when I'm really flogging it through the gears. I think it might be a good upgrade.

When they first came out, a few people commented that the kit would require the removal of the anti-theft steering lock to add the GPR parts. I cannot find any confirmation of this, and think it would be a deal killer.

I also heard the kit requires (and includes) handlebar risers to allow the GPR to fit under the bars. I think that would be fine, since they feel a bit low when I stand up.