Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #16
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Oddometer: 5,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper-at-heart
Please fill in on details if you can when it's finished.
You got it. I'll probably post pics and a write up over at the Dorso forum on www.apriliaforum.com.
YakSpout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:42 AM   #17
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipChip
As (not)featured on the back page of the current Cycle World!

You wouldn't even know they had the bike in the lineup.

It's a bit of a sleeper isn't it? The 'Dorso was voted 4th best Aprilia, by readers, in one of the mags here.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 02:06 PM   #18
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
Just ordered the PUIG removable windscreen and gel seat from AF1. I'll post pics and reviews as soon as I get them. I also ordered another puig windshield from a local dealer. If they are the same thing I'll resell one in the package for exact cost if anybody wants it. We'll see.

I actually got to put some miles on it yesterday and like it a lot. The ride did prompt me to order the seat and windshield though which should adress my only issues. I'm gonna like it a lot more when I get it on some twisty back roads.

I want to order the OEM saddle bags eventually. I know there are cheaper options but they look pretty sweet, any reviews yet?

(Ram1000- your set up is sweet but I'm going the lazy and expensive route)
Excellent. You'll like the seat better than the stock one, I'm sure.

Could you put be down as first in line for the windscreen if you choose to sell the duplicate? I saw the Puig on AF1 and, depending on mount options, it looks okay. (I'd like to know in advance if it requires any drilling, etc., but AF1 doesn't give a whole of detail on their descriptions.)

In other Dorso news, mine is at the dealer for the 600mi service. Goodbye 6K rpm break-in period.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #19
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
You will be first at the screen. I will give full review and pics right away. I bought it because I believe it is like the shiver one on AF1. There are a lot more pics of that one. Looks to be mounted on top the handlebar clamp and very easily removabe wich is why I want it. Only for long stretches, not everyday.

I'm on the aprilia forum now but I'm not giving up on our thread here. I'll continue to post the adv touring type mods here.
Sweet! Thanks.

I performed an evap cannister-ectomy today. Pulled the vacuum line that runs to the rear cylinder and plugged the hole. Then re-routed the fuel tank vent line to the right side of the engine. Definitely cleaned up the look of the engine.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #20
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakSpout
Not yet. I'm going to put grip heaters on it when I get a chance. I may add an outlet then.
Forgot to add... I was going to tackle the grips today and add a molex connector as well, but ran out of time this morning. I'm going to put a small terminal block and a relay under the seat. The block will get its power from the battery, but won't be on until the taillight wire powers the relay.

I'll use the block to power the grips and the molex connector. Or I might just leave the molex plugged right into the battery so I can use a battery tender on it... Not sure yet.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:46 PM   #21
YakSpout
Obstacle Allusion

Update: I ordered the Aprilia DD tailbag from my local dealer about 5 weeks ago. Just received the call to come get it last weekend.

I was finally able to pick it up last night and tried installing it... Not a bad looking bag overall, but I'll be returning it this weekend.

The side bags are sort of useless and the straps that hold them to the seat are both too short. They won't install the way the instructions tell you to install them and I can't figure out a way to get around that. The shorter of the two straps that goes around the rear-most section of the seat was also sewn upside-down to the base, so that, even if it were long enough, you couldn't lay the velcro sides onto each other properly.

The other deal killer, is the strap system that holds the bag to the base is composed of 4 straps that require you to thread the straps through those small backpack-style plastic cinches. Useless if you're in a hurry...

Thumbs down from me. Save your $270 and look for another bag system.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:59 AM   #22
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,904
Quote:
Good info. I am about to look into some kind of bags. I might just try some non aprilia saddle bags and see how well they mount. I'll post pics if it works out.

I do have an update on the Puig windscreen. I only got one by the way so no extra to sell. It is of high quality. I can not really attest to it's wind blocking yet. One thing is for sure it is f#&king ugly. It just does not flow what so ever with what I think is a great looking bike. It is easy enough to remove so I am definately going to keep it for longer trips. I just don't understand why they styled it the way they did.
Since it's a windscreen, they probably styled it to do something about
the wind, not to "flow" with the lines of the bike. Since you bought it
regardless of how it looked, you're obviously also more concerned about
wind protection then looks, so.. I don't see what the problem really is.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #23
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

The Factory version is coming with free Arrow cans in the UK, and is available on 0% APR.

A pity my credit-rating is shot to hell, then
IBA #40578

Old 04-25-2010, 10:39 AM   #24
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev
The Factory version is coming with free Arrow cans in the UK, and is available on 0% APR.

A pity my credit-rating is shot to hell, then
Free Arrows good. That whole unfinished carbon look does nothing for me though.

Why is this in Beasts?
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:13 PM   #25
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,344
Question

Where are the pictures you goofballs!

I would surely like to take a spin on this bike. I see the seat is a bit narrower than the shivers. -1 on the comfy factor?
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #26
Cos
Re-Greekified

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T.

I would surely like to take a spin on this bike. I see the seat is a bit narrower than the shivers. -1 on the comfy factor?
It's not just narrower. It's more of a bench. It's all relative though. Where i ride the Dorso, my ass is never flat on the seat for long anyway.

Short range, definitely no couch of a bike. Engine is as sweet as they come, sound out of the stock cans is amazing and they look good too.

Old 04-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #27
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.T.

You can get a gel seat as an official accessory.
IBA #40578

Old 04-25-2010, 02:10 PM   #28
Cos
Re-Greekified

Quote:
You can get a gel seat as an official accessory.
This is a rhetorical question since you live in England...have you ever been on a gel seat in 45 Centigrade?

Old 04-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #29
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos
This is a rhetorical question since you live in England...have you ever been on a gel seat in 45 Centigrade?

Nope

But DT is in Minnesota . The gel seat looks very nice btw, but then again I had a gel seat on a DRZ400 and this stretched 45 minutes of saddle time to, ooh, about 55 minutes
IBA #40578

Old 04-25-2010, 02:20 PM   #30
Cos
Re-Greekified

Quote:
Nope

But DT is in Minnesota . The gel seat looks very nice btw, but then again I had a gel seat on a DRZ400 and this stretched 45 minutes of saddle time to, ooh, about 55 minutes
I think it'd be about the same for the Dorso. The nice thing about Cyprus is that i can cross most of it through roads that don't keep me on the seat much.

I might go down a tooth on the CS sprocket for some more snap though. That should make it waaaaaaaay fun.