User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2004, 11:17 AM   #1
TEXASYETI OP
Call me "thread killer!"

Oddometer: 1,894
High mileage tires

Needing some new shoes for the PD. Any suggestions for the rear? I'm running Avon Gripsters and am a bit disatisfied with the milage - this tire lasted 5,000 miles. I've tried Sahara 3's (okay), TKC 80's (not again), Tourances (eeehhh, so so).

Any suggestions?
James
TEXASYETI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 11:49 AM   #2
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Maybe some Pirelli Scorpions MT 90 S/Ts or... if your more dirt oriented, ATs.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:01 PM   #3
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
IMO "High Mileage" tires suck ass. In order to get "high" mileage you end up trading grip (safety) for mileage. Hard tires dont hold the road well and arent forgiving in heavy braking and turning. The worst ones will hold fine then suddenly give up. A good tire will give up grip gradually. 5k is pretty good for a DS rear tire.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:34 PM   #4
norton73
drinkin'

Oddometer: 8,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopperman
IMO "High Mileage" tires suck ass. In order to get "high" mileage you end up trading grip (safety) for mileage. Hard tires dont hold the road well and arent forgiving in heavy braking and turning. The worst ones will hold fine then suddenly give up. A good tire will give up grip gradually. 5k is pretty good for a DS rear tire.
I'll second Chopperman here. I run Avon Distanzas on my R100GS and get 5-6k out of a rear. Sticks real well on the road, I really like Avon's rubber compounds. I've drug footpegs in the rain on some of my other bikes on Avons. However, the treadpattern on the Distanzas isn't very open, so anything tougher than fireroad is going to be more challenging offroad.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:46 PM   #5
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
Mitas (barum) E07 or was it E70? There is a german site .. google it.
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 04:56 PM   #6
Chopperman
I am dead

One thought. Go street tires with a dual compound for commuting duties. Just be aware of the limitations of the tread and compound.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:15 AM   #7
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,133
We use Dunlop 491s on everything. These are likely the hardest tires out there, and I can't ever recall having a traction issue wet or dry with them. They also handle a luggage load like nothing else. I tried the Dunlop 591 stickies a couple of times and hated them.

I don't even know if you can get 491s in BMW sizes any more. The damn things last such a long time, sales voumes musta been pretty low.

Jon
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:49 AM   #8
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz
We use Dunlop 491s on everything. These are likely the hardest tires out there, and I can't ever recall having a traction issue wet or dry with them. They also handle a luggage load like nothing else. I tried the Dunlop 591 stickies a couple of times and hated them.

I don't even know if you can get 491s in BMW sizes any more. The damn things last such a long time, sales voumes musta been pretty low.

Jon
i knew someone would mention 491s.
i had a set and canned them after about 5k miles. i had several traction issues with them, wet and dry. i know lots of people run them, but i'd rather change tires out more often and use tires that i trust.
to each his own, just be aware that there is a trade off for only having to change tires every 20k or so.
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:57 AM   #9
Chopperman
I am dead

Quote:

Jon

491 Itried a set on my /5 on a tire guy recommendation. They not only started hard...they got harder as they wore. And they had binary grip. all or nothing. and they would flip the switch without warning. Most quality tires will give a greasy feeling when they are starting to lose it. But not those. I got rid of those and cut themso no one could "rescue" them.

Sure there are plenty of folks who run Chen Shen concrete compounds and never have a problem. But those guys never attempt a corner on anything less than bright sunny day or over 30 mph.

That said, I tooka chance on my old goose and got some Maxxis tires (CS' "americanized" brand) I wanted whitewalls and those werefar cheaper than the dunlops. I knew it was a risk. But I was pleasantly surprised. they actually do wear. And grip well enough to take the old geezer to the frame on corners with confidence.

Like performance mods, there is a trade off in trying to maximise the investment on rubber. In performance there is a few things you can do to improve on the factory tolerances, designs and government restrictions...but quickly that curve becomes nearly vertical when inputting dollars vs return vs reliability. Same for tires. the more mileage, time and lower dollars put into them, the les you can expect from them when you need that bare 10 square inches of contact patch.

It's your ass and your bike. Do as you like.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:27 AM   #10
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,514
Gripsters

I think Gripsters are the best all around for a PD / GS. I used them on KLR's for years and when I got my PD many folks recommended them. I've got almost 5K on mine this summer and have loads of tread left. However, I ride my PD easy and my Adventure hard. Might make a difference.

I agree that REALLY high mileage tires suck for everything except getting high mileage.

Tom

tom_vervaeke screwed with this post 10-05-2004 at 01:08 PM
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 12:06 PM   #11
Tim McKittrick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,705
I went through something like 16 sets of dual sport tires (and tried just about every brand) on my XR 600 dualsport bike before I sold it, and I don't think I ever got 5000 miles out of any of them. Even the Pirelli Scorpions on my 950 were toasted in 5000 miles- but I really liked the way they worked while they lasted.
A general rule of thumb for me was "the taller the knobs the shorter the life"- tires that were more dirt biased couldn't take the heat and stress of road use. It comes down to where you plan to ride- I would investigate either street biased tires or go with full streets if you want to maximize mileage and don't plan to ride on very much dirt. But if you ride on a lot of gravel or trails and need a tire that will perform well you are doomed to buy a lot of them and change them often.
FWIW I really liked the Metzler Saharas as a 50/50 tire, GP-1s and their bretheren are dangerous on the street in the rain, none of the DOT knobbies will give you much confidence on the street and seem to evaporate before your eyes (but are the ticket off road), Siracs work fine on the road but not as well as the Metzlers in the dirt, Gripsters seem to last the longest but are not so hot in the rough, and so on and so on. I think I must own 6 sets of tire irons, and I finally made myself a wheel balancer and a bead breaker tool.
Tim McKittrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 07:48 PM   #12
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwblake
i knew someone would mention 491s.
i had a set and canned them after about 5k miles. i had several traction issues with them, wet and dry. i know lots of people run them, but i'd rather change tires out more often and use tires that i trust. to each his own, just be aware that there is a trade off for only having to change tires every 20k or so.
Give me a break. I have 200K miles on Dunlop 401s and 491s on two K75s! Stop trying to blow smoke up my ass because these tires have worked for me.

Its fine with me if no one else buys them. Just leaves more for us.

Jon

jdiaz screwed with this post 10-06-2004 at 07:54 PM
jdiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 08:24 PM   #13
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,282
Quote:
Give me a break. I have 200K miles on Dunlop 401s and 491s on two K75s! Stop trying to blow smoke up my ass because these tires have worked for me.

Its fine with me if no one else buys them. Just leaves more for us.

Jon
i know you and sue have lots of miles on 491s - more power to you. i know lots of folks that use them, it certainly doesn't negate my experience. its obvious that i'm not the only one that has had traction issue with them.

i'll gladly not use any of the world's stock of 491s you guys can have them all.
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote