User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2010, 11:36 PM   #1
Luke wl. OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Two 20something's, 2 BRP's and 2 Months

So I have sinned a little. I have been done with my first ride since October 31st, my 23rd birthday. And I am just now sitting down to write this.

I will set you up with the scenario. I just finished my BFA in Motion Graphics from the Savannah College of Art and Design. My name is Luke. My riding buddy/drinking partner/guy whos ass I whop in pool is named Jake. Jake and I have known each other since Junior High. We both grew up in SW florida and after highschool went our seperate ways. He went out to Colorado, and I went to savannah GA. He being a year older than I graduated before me and wanted a change of pace. So he signed on as a roughneck on a platform in the gulf of mexico... We would see each other periodically, mostly on his breaks since I was close to where he was stationed. One day he brought over his 1978 triumph bonneville and asked if he could store it/work on it in my garage for a few months. I said no problem. This is where the conversation started about a trip. Jump forward a few months, I had graduated and he had been laid off. The decision had been made and we decided on Dual sport as opposed to old bikes that break every day (this is our next ride). We began our adventure outside Brevard North Carolina, where the parentals were kind enough to let us work on the Hondas for a few weeks and get ready.

Our workspace.

Supplies.

This is us.

jake is on the right and i am on the left in green.

Day one.

We wanted to take it easy, since Jake was still very new to this bike, so we did a bit of trail riding in the past few weeks but decided to ride the blue ridge parkway up to his sisters on the virgina border.

a little 'character' introductions

It was a beautiful day to ride, not too chilly, not too hot. We hit the road at about 9:30 and besides all of jakes bags falling off and me nearly running them over, it was mostly uneventful.

Not too many photos today since we wanted to get to his sisters before dark. This is where the bikes slept for the night.

You will have to excuse me as my journal is not sitting infront of me, so I do not know exact dates or locations but I will update this post with them asap.

Day two is just a teaser tonight as I am going to bed, and not very good at this writing thing (if you couldnt tell from my grammar).

We hit the TWVT!

This is the entrance to the trail... if you have ever ridden it im sure you have seen this little road.

That is all for tonight, except for these two teasers to show you how far/how interesting things got.

Can anybody guess where these are??? Stay tuned, more will follow soon.
Luke wl. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:44 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,249
No clue where that snowy part is.. surely not the BRP..
Old 02-08-2010, 04:18 AM   #3
M1tch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
they look a couple of nutters

so im subscribed
Old 02-08-2010, 06:01 AM   #4
rockjohn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
I have to look. These two whack packers should prove to be quit entertaining. Be safe boys.

Free Your Mind...And Your Ass Will Follow
rockjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 06:09 AM   #5
Thorne
Sherpa-ing around

Oddometer: 1,204

Thorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #6
Luke wl. OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok. Another free moment to write. I left off at a day two teaser.

Day two was from Jakes sisters place is bluebird (i think?) virgina to the TWVT and as far as we could make it before it got dark. This was September 12th 2009. I should have remembered that we left on Sept 11.

As great as the TWVT was as a warm up... it was a bit slow and windy for us. We didnt stop much to take photos on this part because we were learning the bikes still and the road just wasnt that interesting. Here is a shot from Hatfield Mccoy (im sure this is not day two, but I am king of lumping the whole TWVT into one post)

We had planned to camp the entire trip (aside from staying at friends in major cities) and were lacking tents. Jake was the one who pushed for this, saying it was more 'pure'? I fought, but ended up being glad I didnt have a tent. Our first camp in WV at some national park.

This night was actually very eventful. I will write a passage from my journal.

"Day 2

Survived Bear attack.
Last night, after a nice bean and Jerk chicken rehydrated meal around the campfire, jake and I retired to our tarps. Only about an hour into the night we hear a loud CRASH. Both of us are immediately awake. Im sure he had the same thought as I did... shit, I knew we should have tied the food up in a tree. The loud crash was a bear full on tackling the trash can where our empty food containers were discarded. I hear 'hey, luke' in a worried whisper. I respond with 'fuck, yea I heard it, what do we do?!?!' and he responds with 'dont worry, I have my machete'. At that point, I know a machete wont do a damn thing against a bear so I stay as quiet as possible until it leaves. If it comes closer, I will tear my tarp off and make as much noise as possible, jake agrees"

You can see in the photo the imprint from our two sleeping areas in the foreground, the bear was as the second furthest trash can in the photo. Too close for me.

Day 3

Started the day off a little tired, falling asleep was hard after the bear incident. You really dont experience things when you are camping with a car.... its too much of a safety net.

Woke up at first light and found our way to a breakfast spot. Man I am going to miss the south...

Once out of breakfast we walked outside to realize the temp. had dropped to about 35 and the visibility was near zero. We continued on to meet back up with the TWVT (we had to get off to find a spot to camp). Another not amazing, but most definately more fun than the previous days road. A lot more faster sections. We came into a clearing and I wanted a photo in the dense fog so I pulled over. right when I get off my bike I hear a low GRRRRRR and turn around to two dogs that didnt look very friendly... Me loving dogs and knowing with my jacket and gloves I would be fine if they bit me I kneeled down for a pet. They turned out to be great dogs that just wanted some loving.

Aside from both of them pissing on my front wheel!

Heres the shot I just HAD to stop for haha.

We continued on and I kept smelling a plastic melting smell... turned out I had missed a bolt on my muffler when repacking it and hot exhaust what shooting into my number plate and into my bag. I found an old beer can and wired it into place temporarily. Today was also our first encounter with the law. Nothing major, just pulled us over and asked for id's and reg. than we were on our way.

Day 4

We continued on the TWVT to Wolf Mountain, beautiful little climb, but there was no way to get thru. So we skipped off the trail and stopped for gas & food in Union WV. We met a dude name Frank Balls... which was strange.

We ended up getting to a park named Island Campground, which was a national park. This was one of my favorite spots (which was good because you will read ahead that circumstances made us come back the next night). We found this beautiful spot right next to a small river.

We made sure to tie up our food!

and built a fire.

And before dark I had to do the obligatory sitting down self shot (tho no bike or helmet).

That is all for this post. Maybe I will get bored at work and come back this afternoon. As we get further west the photos get alot more interesting I promise! We figured out how to shoot while moving haha.

Luke wl. screwed with this post 02-08-2010 at 11:24 AM
Old 02-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #7
Montek
Eternal Noob

Oddometer: 928
o.k.

yep, looks good - the two young bucks show good signs of gettin' in a little deep.

keep up the good report
Old 02-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #8
B DIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,376
o man this is good stuff, I'm in
Old 02-08-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
keithm1
the bestest

Oddometer: 56
im looking forward to the next episode
keithm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:39 PM   #10
kta
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
kta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #11
Luke wl. OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Day 5 was a great and a horrible day. It was the best part of the TWVT we had hit yet. A 2 lane all nice gravel road through a national forest. Nothing below 3rd gear, ass hangin out on every corner. We needed a road like this.

But I am getting ahead of myself... you cant forget to eat! This started our tradition of Jimmy Dean sausage biscuits with mustard... which is not what jake has here... but this is his second course of breakfast.

Jake was still learning the bike but getting more and more able on it every turn. I already felt like I was on my 125 sliding around corners. The road was about a 2 hour ride of pure bliss. A couple of close calls, but no downs or anything more serious than getting hit with some rocks.

Heres a shot from an overlook on one of the nice gradual long corners.

We get to the end of the road and pull into a gas station and jake said the famous words.... "dude, your plate is gone". At first I thought he was joking... but soon saw that he wasnt.

This is where I started to think 'oh shit'

We stop and regoup, think what to do and we decide that backtracking and looking for the plate was the best option (yea, like we would ever find it...)

This was our 'regrouping' snack.

So we head back towards island campground at a slow pace and scan the ground the whole way. It took us about 4 1/2 hours to backtrack going slow and still found nothing. We did see a few dual sport'ers on the way back though. We get back to the main road and realize that it is a lost cause. On top of that, I had coasted the last couple hundred yards with my bike off but my gas on... so I fouled a plug and had to completely unload and pull the tank to change my plug. This wasnt a lost cause because i got the bike tuned a little better while tinkering with the pumper carb.

This was my solution to the plate.

This actually got me all the way to Boulder CO before I got my actual plate, with NO issues with the law!!! Damn I kind of gave away one of our better stops on the trip, but I thought that was amazing.

That brought us to our second night at island campground. Unfortunately I was not as excited to stay here the second night as I was the first... but shit happens.

I'll throw in another teaser... just because I am too anxious to write all the way to this point, but want to show the photos! I know its not riding, but it was a great stop on the trip!

Old 02-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #12
ThumperDRZ
Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer: 2,399
Angus - Nice..... Keep it coming.......!!

On Hiatus
ThumperDRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:14 PM   #13
NewHampWoodsRider
Tag Captor

Oddometer: 447
Great report so far!!!

Looking forward to the next installment!!
NewHampWoodsRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:17 PM   #14
DualSportDad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,280
i've been waiting a long time for this. i wish i could have joined you guys.... damn job

what's the last teaser? is that....? i still wouldn't know the guy if he punched me in the face.

this is going to be one of the best ride reports i will read all year. keep it coming Luke
DualSportDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:29 PM   #15
mattherat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
acca dacca its a long way to the shop if you want a sausage roll
mattherat is offline   Reply With Quote