Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2015, 10:55 AM   #1
DYNOBOB OP
lucky dog

Oddometer: 1,073
Planning a trip to Nova Scotia, PEI, etc. Advise?

Hi All,

I'm planning a two-week trip northeast for my "Northern Rockies" crew (sig line) this July. Looking for advise on; things not to be missed, favorite places to stay, best roads, coinciding special events, places to avoid, etc. I've read a good half dozen RRs and started marking waypoints on the garmin.

Stuff that's on my radar:
Possibly camping at Meat Cove
Overnight near Bay of Fundy for the tides
Louisbourg Fort
Cabot Trail
A couple days in Acadia NP (Bar Harbor)
A couple days on PEI
Adarondacks/Mt Washington
Might spend two nights in NYC to see 9/11 Monument on way home

I'm unsure of my route after PEI and overnights up toward Glace Bay, Cape Breton NP, etc. We're thinking of taking our camping gear for a few exceptional places, but mostly finding reasonable lodging. Might splurge a few nights (Dalvay By The Sea/PEI ?)...

Thanks in advance!

Bob

DYNOBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 12:17 PM   #2
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,902
Cabot Trail is best as a loop.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:54 PM   #3
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,272
There is the Yarmouth ferry for the return trip. It cuts out a return run of the same sights. If you could squeeze in a trip to Gaspe Quebec you would be happy, the sights through Northern N.B. from Edmonston to Campebelton to Quebec are nice. Than down the so called North Shore of N.B. or the Acadian Pennisula. The highest tides are at the Eastern tip of the Bay of Fundy. There is the bridge and ferry in PEI so you could come onto the island one route and leave another. Come on the bridge and leave on the ferry and only pay one way.
2004 Honda XR400R
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:08 PM   #4
Antennas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Or take the ferry from Digby over to NB and see a lot more of NS that way. There are a lot of nice roads to take in NS and very scenic.
Also if you are going to the "trail" go along the eastern side of CB and take the Forchu-St.Peters road. It is absolutely fabulous and twisty and deserted. Some of the best riding I have ever done, just amazing. Then you can come back along the 105 or along the water side along the west side of CB, which is nice too.
Check out my blog for info if you wish. In sig line.

Andrew

http://ridethemaritimes.blogspot.ca

http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/bay...y-harbour.html
Antennas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:28 PM   #5
DYNOBOB OP
lucky dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA View Post
There is the Yarmouth ferry for the return trip. It cuts out a return run of the same sights. If you could squeeze in a trip to Gaspe Quebec you would be happy, the sights through Northern N.B. from Edmonston to Campebelton to Quebec are nice. Than down the so called North Shore of N.B. or the Acadian Pennisula. The highest tides are at the Eastern tip of the Bay of Fundy. There is the bridge and ferry in PEI so you could come onto the island one route and leave another. Come on the bridge and leave on the ferry and only pay one way.
I didn't know the Yarmouth ferry was running again, thanks for the heads up.

We have friends that frequent Gaspe Bay - I'm afraid that might be ambitious for a two week trip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antennas View Post
Or take the ferry from Digby over to NB and see a lot more of NS that way. There are a lot of nice roads to take in NS and very scenic.
Also if you are going to the "trail" go along the eastern side of CB and take the Forchu-St.Peters road. It is absolutely fabulous and twisty and deserted. Some of the best riding I have ever done, just amazing. Then you can come back along the 105 or along the water side along the west side of CB, which is nice too.
Check out my blog for info if you wish. In sig line.

Andrew
Didn't know about that ferry either...hadn't planned to see the southwest area of NS but that opens some options. Is it fair to say the Liverpool/Shelburne/Barrington side is more scenic than Bridgetown/Wolfville. Although I guess the Minas Basin has some of the more dramatic tides...

Old 05-03-2015, 07:45 PM   #6
DYNOBOB OP
lucky dog

Interesting - Digby/St Johns $180, Yarmouth/Portland $333 (2 people+bike w/ trailer).

I guess it's the Bar Harbor/Yarmouth ferry that no longer runs...

Old 05-04-2015, 05:07 AM   #7
tbas3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
The ferry from Yarmouth is indeed the one that used to run to Bar Harbour. It is not the original boat its a new one. After a 4 year or so absence it was restarted last year. The economy here has been crap for a long time and the removal of the ferry made it worse. Years ago we had 2 ferries one to Bar Harbour and another to Portland.

I'm hoping that the ferry will increase the amount of motorcycle traffic through here. If you are camping feel free to PM me I have many acres of grass you can camp on with inside space to work on your bike.

Tom
tbas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:52 AM   #8
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,929
PEI has three scenic loops, one for each county, which are much better than the highways, but there are tons of beautiful side roads, dirt and otherwise. Don't be afraid to get off the beaten track a little.

Also, talk to the locals. They know where to find the best seafood, and beaches.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote