Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Canada
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2015, 04:04 PM   #1
therider OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
First visit to Vancouver, where to ride?

Background: I am an Indian software engineer working in bay area. Will be visiting Vancouver (first Canada trip) in March for work. Decided to ride a R12GS there instead of flying. That way I won't get bored in the weekends while I am there.

My farmers insurance says canada is covered, so that headache is no more.

Now I need to list the exciting rides starting from vancouver downtown area. Getting to know local riders would be a great help too.

Can't wait to pick up my first bmw - a 2009 GS, this weekend from Phoenix.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:20 PM   #2
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,843
www.bcsportbikes.com and www.dualsportbc.com would be good starts to meet more local riders.

Some of the better riding is actually just south of the border in WA and OR states. If you qualify for a NEXUS pass it makes those areas very accessable for weekend trips, otherwise you need to time your border crossings to avoid weekend crowds.

The other thing you NEED to get now is a copy of Destinations Highways BC http://www.destinationhighways.com/

That will give you the full gamut of local rides, and give you some great trip planning ideas before you even leave.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:58 PM   #3
dustin2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter Boy View Post
The other thing you NEED to get now is a copy of Destinations Highways BC http://www.destinationhighways.com/
Most definitely worth it. I will say that there is basically no nice riding within an hour of Vancouver with exception of the Sea to Sky Highway from West Vancouver to Pemberton; it's very pretty. The Starbucks in Squamish is a VERY popular bike hangout in the summer so you can hang out there and rack up some major poser points on that GS!

If you want some incredible riding, go west to the Thompson Okanagan and the Kootenay regions of BC. These are a must. It's pretty tough to beat the ride from Kelowna, up to Nakusp and across to Kaslo then back around for a swim in Lake Okanagan :)

Oh, and absolutely agreed regarding Washington and Oregon! You're riding through there to get to Vancouver anyway

I hope you enjoy your stay in BC.
dustin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:03 PM   #4
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,163
You are going to want some pretty good gear to ride in March weather.
The Sea to Sky can be freezing cold, the sun doesn't hit until later in the day.
Shady spots can be pretty dangerous.
I do not think that you will be riding past Squamish, that time of year.
Things can get dangerous in March. To be quite honest, I am not sure that I would recommend it.
You do not want to ride around in Vancouver. It is scary, at the best of times. People are absolutely mental behind the wheel.
There is no way that you will be able to ride the mountain passes, this time of year. If you are set on riding, southern Vancouver Island may be your best bet.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:11 PM   #5
therider OP
Adventurer

Thanks, the destination highways site looks fantastic, I will dig into it tonight.

Since I am visiting for a month or two, I hope I don't have to deal with any import paperwork and too much fees.

Shoot, sounds like it will be cold and icy indeed. I will do some more research.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:27 PM   #6
filterx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I live in Squamish and the weather here today was fantastic. I saw at least 15 street bikes on the sea to sky.

With that said we are in the pacific wet coast so things can change pretty quick and we can have no snow in squamish and 2 feet a couple of miles up the highway since the elevation changes quick towards whistler.

I usually put my street bike on the road mid april since the days get progressively longer from now to then but that's just me.

Washington/Oregon
ferry to Van Island
ferry to the Sunshine Coast
Bikes get on and off the ferries first and relatively cheap

I've got 2 buddys with rs100's something like this which I have access to.

Send me a PM if hook up for a ride
Old 01-19-2015, 06:34 PM   #7
therider OP
Adventurer

filterx, thanks, I will surely get in touch.

That bike looks great!
Old 01-19-2015, 07:06 PM   #8
filterx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I've also got access to some dirt bike's if your into that sort of thing and the trails in squamish should be OK in march.

Yeah the my buddies bemmers look very close to that pic. My street bike is a lot less inspiring.

Here's the sea to sky from squamish to whistler as well as were we have dirt bike access to.

Keep in touch
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2015, 07:55 PM   #9
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 4,240
Sunshine coast.. may not be a lot of sunshine then, but it's a wonderful ride.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:06 PM   #10
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,870
Quote:
Originally Posted by therider View Post
Background: I am an Indian software engineer working in bay area. Will be visiting Vancouver (first Canada trip) in March for work. Decided to ride a R12GS there instead of flying. That way I won't get bored in the weekends while I am there.

My farmers insurance says canada is covered, so that headache is no more.

Now I need to list the exciting rides starting from vancouver downtown area. Getting to know local riders would be a great help too.

Can't wait to pick up my first bmw - a 2009 GS, this weekend from Phoenix.
March is not a good month to consider an extensive ride around Vancouver. It most definitely not be warm. Expect temps highs of 7-10c. Probably rain 50% of the time you are here. Try to get your work set up for summer., then we'll talk.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:57 PM   #11
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 3,132
BC Sportbikes is it's own community and some of us here find it quite entertaining.

Once you are settled I am sure that a few of us will be able to get together and meet you for a bite to eat or something.

Before you ride across the Border you will need one of these

http://www.ccir-ccrra.org/en/pau/Can...ance_Cards.pdf

There has been some chatter that they are no longer required so you might want to check that out.

Since you are arriving by MC and will be working in Canada, may sure that all of your paperwork is in good order below you get to the Border.
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 12:12 AM   #12
therider OP
Adventurer

Bill, thanks for the info about that insurance card.

My moto insu is progressive and agent said it will cover Canada as well. I will re-confirm.

I am going for a 1-2 month visit. Will continue to be based in San Jose. Travel visa has been applied for and attorney said no issues to take the road.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:11 PM   #13
dustin2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
2 months gives you plenty of opportunities for riding! It is rainy season from October to May but there are many, many nice days in between. The rain is less and less as you go east as well. The Kootenays are the best place to go riding :)
dustin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 05:32 AM   #14
Deuce
Crazy Canuck

Oddometer: 2,780
Vancouver Island

Lots of great roads here. Less rain and less traffic than the Mainland.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:22 PM   #15
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,163
I believe the Sea to Sky is vastly overrated.
Sure, the views are great. Fabulous.
Cops everywhere, and citizen"rats" filling in the gaps.
Super dangerous. The idiot drivers hang in the fast lane going 10 k under. There can be as many as 20 dimwits lined up in the fast lane. Worth your life to pass on the right hand side.
Oh, and in the summer, the congestion is unbearable. Unless you ride out before 7am.
Friggin line ups of crawling traffic for miles, around Britannia Beach, on the weekends.
The ride to Whistler from Squamish? Nothing spectacular, aside from the glorious views. Whistler? Lined up for miles in the summer. Good luck getting through there. Cops everywhere.
The ride from Mount Currie to Lilloett? They changed the speed limit. 60 god damn kph, for the whole bloody way.
The ride from Mount Currie to Darcy and beyond(with a dual sport)? Now, that's a road.That is where the fun begins.
Starbucks in Squamish? Jeez. Go ride your bike.
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote