Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 9,808
Got it, and PMed you back.

Looking forward to it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kildala2000
Hey Jarvis,

I sent you a PM on this subject. Let me know if you got it OK.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 04-26-2005, 07:27 PM   #47
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,721
velcro on f/c guard (ADV)

the velcro idea has been tested for 500 road miles (just got the plates a week ago) and so far it's fine. the top of the plate is held on to the crash bars with the hardware rick supplies with his product. so it is already stable. i just tossed some velcro on to keep the bottom of the plate affixed to the top of the stock bash plate. i was just being lazy and didn't feel like drilling both plates.
great product and great service.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:52 AM   #48
urbancowboy
Vicious Cycler

Oddometer: 1,721
velcro

hey rick,
just wanted to update you on the velcro experiment. remember, i velcroed the bottom of the front bash plate to the stock skid plate because i was too lazy to drill holes (the top of the bash plate is fastened to the crash bars). a few weeks (maybe a thousand miles) later, it's holding up great.
yesterday i went off-roading for the first time on state forest roads. getting your skid-plate gave me a little confidence that the bike would be protected on those "roads." the plates worked great! at the very least, they stopped a ton of mud from getting on the front and underside of the bike. thanks again for a solid product.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 05:09 AM   #49
FreeTheBeast
Chocks away!

Oddometer: 2,837
Thumb Installed. Looks great!

Rick,
Thanks a LOT for shipping quickly. I got the bits and immediately installed them. I'm off in an hour to hit the trails, so I'll give them a good test off-road. I, too, used hook-and-loop for the bottom of the front plate based on the suggestion. Seems pretty solid with the bolts at the top handling most of the strength for holding it in place.

Great products, Rick. Very fairly priced!! You're a good man!

Here are a coupe shots (pre mud ) :

Front cover:

Rear:

~ap blog
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 08:34 AM   #50
kv
[none]

Oddometer: 5,045
Regarding Rick's Products...

I was going to start another thread in here but this one seems to be getting a lot of attention so I'll post this here.

About a year ago I saw that Rick had posted a skid plate up for sale in the Flea Market. I sent him a PM and got a response in about 5 minutes. This was at like 3:00 a.m. mind you! He described his product and we agreed on terms.

I received the skid plate in about a week's time (Canada to Georiga) and immediately mounted it. I took some pictures for Rick of the skid plate mounted on my bike and he noticed that I was using the ultra short rear rack on my Adventure for hauling dry bags. He suggested that I purchase one of his rear rack extenders. After seeing a picture I did just that. Again, the rack arrived in about a week.

While en-route to the RA last year in the Canaan Valley I was traveling on I-81 about 7 miles north of Roanoke. It had just rained, was dark and getting cold. I was traveling in the number 1 lane, with traffic at 74 mph (according to the GPS V). The car in front of me moved about 4" to the left in it's lane and I didn't really think anything of it. Surely if there was something in the road he would have tapped his brakes or moved more abruptly. From under his right rear tire I see a muffler with about 4' of exhaust pipe sliding in the lane. I was cautious as to not to cross my bike up thinking that if I "had" to hit it was best to hit is square. It was sliding at me as fast as I was heading toward it. My avenues of escape were diminishing because I was dealing with a moving object. Thinking that running over the muffler was my best option as it would likely deform under the load of the bike I hit it...

I can still feel the impact of the bars against the inside of my hands. It rotated under the bike bending my brake lever and passenger peg. It broke both my right foot as well as Walgreens Chic's right foot. We pulled over about 1/4 a mile up the road to examine the damage and to the thank God that we were alive. With the bike sitting on the side of the road I could immediately see where Rick's skid plate very well prevented us from going down. The skid plate took a nasty hit and had some deep scrapes. Without it in place the muffler or exhaust pipe could have easily snagged on the center stand or even the cat and pulled the bike to the ground. The skid plate allowed it just glide under the bike and prevented even more damage.

We both agreed to get back on the bike once we realized that it was safe to ride (after I pulled the brake lever out from under the transmission) and rode to the next exit. We figured that our boots being on would keep the swelling down so we went on to the RA and had a wonderful weekend. Mind you, we both limped around for a few weeks but I'll take a broken right foot over any other outcome that evening.

In the end, I repaired the damages over the course of the weekend without ever putting a penny into it. Thank you Rick for making such a great product. Since that trip my skid plate has seen it's share of dirt and gravel and has always left me impressed. The rack extender has proven itself on each and every trip since purchasing it from you.

Good luck with everything...

KV

Save $5.00 on a subscription to Smugmug by entering SmYAucfONBnH2 in the 'Referred by' field on the signup form.
kv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 02:46 AM   #51
Jarvis
DC GSer

Oddometer: 9,808
Rick --

Got the rear rack plate. It looks fantastic! Check your new "telus" email account for a pm re:same.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:14 PM   #52
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,578
Skid Plate

Received the skid plate and installed it today. I recommend Rick's products highly. All hardware was provided and it all went together extremely well.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED...........

"You guys could f#@k up a one person line to a two hole shithouse!" ... Pam Vickery ... RIP
Ural Patrol - R1200RT - Harley Ultra Limited - 4 X 4's - ATV's - RV - Nikons -
Mr. G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 05:16 PM   #53
Fin
Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer: 2,301
Hey Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kildala2000
Hey all,

I'm getting tired of kicking this around the shop.
I'll let it go for $40.00us inc shipping and hardware. Fits the R1100gs & R1150gs. Coated with two coats of clear fiinish.

Protect your bike with Rick's gear.
Pm me with address and I'll have it out ASAP.

Thanks,
Rick
I'll take it... check your pm for details.

Cheers

Fin

IBA#12239
BMW MOA #124707
Save $5 when you open your own smugmug account. Use code: ByFAeFySLnQKM
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 09:55 AM   #54
bruno twip
On Island Time

Oddometer: 403
1200gs

Do you make a skid plate extender and centerstand guard to fit the 1200GS. Will your rear rack fit the 1200GS?

I hate to go to touratech for this stuff if I can get it from an advrider. I can make an 'as built' drawing in autocad if you need dimensions for mounting hole locations on the rear rack and the skid plates.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
Mark Twain
bruno twip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 10:05 AM   #55
mreimler
Adventure Crasher

Oddometer: 333
Just got 'em

I received my skid plate and front cover guard the other day. The skid plate is a snap to install. For the F/C guard, I used the supplied fasteners and then drilled and tapped a hole at the front of the BMW skid plate to attach the guard solidly.

Rick does nice work. The fit and finish are very good and the price is what you would spend to buy the materials and build the parts yourself. He's honest and understands what great customer service is. Buy your stuff from him. He probably gets lonely up there in canuk land.
mreimler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 05:29 PM   #56
Fin
Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer: 2,301
Wow!

Hey Rick

I got my skid plate today and like many before me had it installed in a snap. It looks great and I'm sure it adds to the handling of the bike... At least that's what I'm trying to pass to my wife as I gear up for a test ride at 8:30 pm. Whatever works right?

Thanks for the great plate and the great price.

Tim

IBA#12239
BMW MOA #124707
Save $5 when you open your own smugmug account. Use code: ByFAeFySLnQKM
Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 07:17 PM   #57
FreeTheBeast
Chocks away!

Oddometer: 2,837
Thumb Great product after several weeks and rides!

Rick,
Just wanted to say your products are first rate. I've been abusing my bike a few times in the last several weeks. The front cover and rear plate definitely keep the mud splatter on the bike to a minimum. The rear cover keeps the brake light clean for when you get back on to main roads.

Great stuff. Maybe see you in the Canadian Rockies next month!

~ap

~ap blog
Max the Motorcycle - children's book written by Mrs. FTB
SmugMug Photo Gallary

FreeTheBeast screwed with this post 06-07-2005 at 07:21 PM Reason: add picture
FreeTheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:24 PM   #58
zarly
Action Pants!

Oddometer: 342
Thanks Rick! I received my centerstand skid plate, front cover and LP rear fender extender for my Adventure in the mail in very short order! I installed them one sunny afternoon in my driveway with minimal tools and effort including drilling through the skid plate. Very simple design and rugged good looks, I especially love it in black! Anyone thinking about this product, I give it the Zarly seal of approval. Made right here in good old British Columbia! Excellent.

Victoria, BC
Canada
zarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 04:03 PM   #59
split28
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Thumb

Another thumbs up for Rick's skid plates. Sent them over to me in the UK. Top product, top bloke.

Martin
Old 06-15-2005, 08:09 AM   #60
RoadNotTaken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Good stuff

Another happy customer. Excelent quality at a great price!

Thank you!
RoadNotTaken is offline   Reply With Quote