Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 10:54 PM   #136
FuzzyNugs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Here is a different take on the BBQ rack from Precision Motorcycle Racks. He sells his stuff on eBay and used my bike for a test fit. I've had it on since April and it has taken quite the beating with no let up. If you look closely you'll notice it has 4 thumb-screws and you can remove the wider footprint of the rack when not needed or desired. Oh and it accepts a Rotopax mount in the middle.

I've seen the center rack listed on eBay since, but not the attaching BBQ piece. Maybe he doesn't have the inventory yet...not sure. If interested I'd try to find his eBay listing and contact directly.
FuzzyNugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #137
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,843
BBQ Racks

Like this one steve
or was it like the one below

jungleplant screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 08:15 PM
jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #138
DR.steve
wheelidiot

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleplant View Post
this one already phased out?
DR.steve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #139
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.steve View Post
this one already phased out?
found these in the prototype room

Old 06-16-2013, 12:09 AM   #140
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
As someone who has a Manracks "BBQ" rack, I have to say I dont understand the current design. Unless Im seeing it wrong, the sides "droop" or are angled down. This defeats the entire purpose of the rack IMO. The one I have is almost identical to the current model, but the sides come straight out with no droop. The prototypes listed above seem like a much better BBQ rack than the current design and seems to be more what people are looking for- why dont you just offer that as an option to people and list it in your website?

Im not sure what finish you use now, but powdercoating would be very nice. Mine just had paint which has now been rubbed away and is starting to rust. I will have it powdercoated myself since my version suits my setup well.

Also, the biggest problem with my version and the current version is that it doesnt work very well with aftermarket seats. Imagine the rack mounted on the bike- the "bar" which is rectangular and closest to the FRONT of the motorcycle is just a bit too far forward. You have to force a Sargent seat to fit by literally bending it and snapping it under the rack (which has taken its toll on the material of my seat). I will fix this myself or if they havent been addressed prolly buy another one like the precision concepts one above.

You know what we want- ill be frank and say give it to us and we will buy it- stop pushing a design on us because the result will be less business for you and all of us not having a rack we want. BTW, I say this as someone who has beat the hell out of the rack and it has held up. Im fine with its flaws as I knew what they were when I bought it and it overall has carried a bunch of shit from Florida to Alaska. Still, it could be better and you could have more business..
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #141
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,999
here is another option is you don't like the design
http://www.moto-racks.com/DR650-buy-page.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
As someone who has a Manracks "BBQ" rack, I have to say I dont understand the current design. Unless Im seeing it wrong, the sides "droop" or are angled down. This defeats the entire purpose of the rack IMO. The one I have is almost identical to the current model, but the sides come straight out with no droop. The prototypes listed above seem like a much better BBQ rack than the current design and seems to be more what people are looking for- why dont you just offer that as an option to people and list it in your website?

Im not sure what finish you use now, but powdercoating would be very nice. Mine just had paint which has now been rubbed away and is starting to rust. I will have it powdercoated myself since my version suits my setup well.

Also, the biggest problem with my version and the current version is that it doesnt work very well with aftermarket seats. Imagine the rack mounted on the bike- the "bar" which is rectangular and closest to the FRONT of the motorcycle is just a bit too far forward. You have to force a Sargent seat to fit by literally bending it and snapping it under the rack (which has taken its toll on the material of my seat). I will fix this myself or if they havent been addressed prolly buy another one like the precision concepts one above.

You know what we want- ill be frank and say give it to us and we will buy it- stop pushing a design on us because the result will be less business for you and all of us not having a rack we want. BTW, I say this as someone who has beat the hell out of the rack and it has held up. Im fine with its flaws as I knew what they were when I bought it and it overall has carried a bunch of shit from Florida to Alaska. Still, it could be better and you could have more business..
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 03:02 PM   #142
GSF1200S
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
here is another option is you don't like the design
http://www.moto-racks.com/DR650-buy-page.html
I would OWN that rack were it not for one thing.. the bars used to mount the front of the rack. When I drop the bike, I use the handlebar nearest the ground and the front tube of the rack to lift the bike the right way. Not sure that rack would be good for that.

I do like the precision concepts rack listed above. I guess I post my message because I own a man racks rack and it IS well made. The welds are solid, its tubular design takes abuse and lends itself well to be used as a handle to pick up the bike and/or drag it around. It is the closest to perfect with just a few tweaks. I can make the one I have perfect with a hacksaw, torch, and some powder coating..
GSF1200S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:02 PM   #143
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSF1200S View Post
I would OWN that rack were it not for one thing.. the bars used to mount the front of the rack. When I drop the bike, I use the handlebar nearest the ground and the front tube of the rack to lift the bike the right way. Not sure that rack would be good for that.

I do like the precision concepts rack listed above. I guess I post my message because I own a man racks rack and it IS well made. The welds are solid, its tubular design takes abuse and lends itself well to be used as a handle to pick up the bike and/or drag it around. It is the closest to perfect with just a few tweaks. I can make the one I have perfect with a hacksaw, torch, and some powder coating..
we are still working on the BBQ Rack design , i still like the original BBQ rack the best. still haven't heard from him so we can get his OK to copy,,,,,,,,,,,,,BUT he is no longer making them
not gonna wait much longer