ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2015, 03:07 PM   #1
Baja Designs OP
Baja Designs
 
Baja Designs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: san marcos, ca
Oddometer: 683
Baja Designs: General Discussion Thread

This is a Baja Designs General Discussion Thread!

A place to post:
-Product information
-Photos
-Questions
-Complaints and comments

Have our lights or want to know more about our products?
Please post up!
__________________________________________________

__________________________________________________ _

NEW PRODUCT! XL Series Driving/Combo Amber Lenses


Found Here: XL (Pro & Sport), Amber Driving/Combo Lens Kit




Website: bajadesigns.com
Facebook: facebook.com/BajaDesigns.truckbuggy
Instagram: instagram.com/bajadesigns/
Email: bailey@bajadesigns.com
Phone: 1-800-422-5292 x114
Call me to get your forum discount! If I'm not available, I'll get back to you within the next business day! Thanks!

Baja Designs screwed with this post 06-26-2015 at 04:27 PM
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:38 PM   #2
coffman300
Gnarly Adventurer
 
coffman300's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: stagecoach Nevada
Oddometer: 265
Ill be the first to reply. I want to do a on-x 8"ligt bar on my 03 yzf450 my stator is to small to run any lights so what im thinking is to just run it off a battery if it goes dead while im out riding ill just switch batterys with my buddys wr450 .so what im asking do you know what battery would be the best for this .

This is what im running on my xr650l and im more than happy with it.

coffman300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 11:21 PM   #3
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer
 
One Fat Roach's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2013
Location: PNW
Oddometer: 1,617
Recently placed an order to replace my headlight lens for my Baja designs kit on my KLR. got a call this morning from a 760 area code and thought WTF!?? Turns out it was BD and they wanted to confirm my order and that it's for a KLR. Hahaha. They also threw in a rock guard for free. Should of upgraded the bulb too but I'm a nimrod.

I like these guys.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
just cause we ride fast doesn't mean we're in a hurry
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 02:17 PM   #4
Baja Designs OP
Baja Designs
 
Baja Designs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: san marcos, ca
Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffman300 View Post
Ill be the first to reply. I want to do a on-x 8"ligt bar on my 03 yzf450 my stator is to small to run any lights so what im thinking is to just run it off a battery if it goes dead while im out riding ill just switch batterys with my buddys wr450 .so what im asking do you know what battery would be the best for this .
We used to offer a product with our old race light kits.
It was a 9600ma 14v Battery pack. Lipo w/ internal shut off.
Make sure you purchase one with a low voltage cut off. That battery would produce about 3 hours of run time.
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 05:50 PM   #5
coffman300
Gnarly Adventurer
 
coffman300's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: stagecoach Nevada
Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Designs View Post
We used to offer a product with our old race light kits.
It was a 9600ma 14v Battery pack. Lipo w/ internal shut off.
Make sure you purchase one with a low voltage cut off. That battery would produce about 3 hours of run time.
Thanks for the reply. Do you have any info on it or a part # orbrand name.
coffman300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 12:01 AM   #6
J&K
Gnarly Adventurer
 
J&K's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: Wasilla Ak
Oddometer: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffman300 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Do you have any info on it or a part # orbrand name.
If you go to rpphobby.com it's a commonly used battery for r/c cars and airplanes. You can get a charger from them as well. They are light you can throw a couple in your backpack for extended night runs.
__________________
2013 F800gs (his) 2014 KTM 1190r (his)
2015 F800GS (hers) 2009 F800gs (hers) 2003 ural (dogs)
J&K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:26 AM   #7
Mgriesi
n00b
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Kenosha Wisconsin
Oddometer: 7
Setup for 2015 BMW R1200gs

Saw the new lights on this post and was wondering what would you recommend for the following.
Want light for daytime visibility
Want to have a high and low setting as I live in a rural area with lots of Deer coming out from the brush
Want longer throw on the light as well as a wide for illumination of the brush
Currently have the LED headlight and wonderwheel

What would i need to accomplish the above. Also what would be the price tag.
How would all this be wired. Would I have to splice into wiring?
How would I activate the high and low output?
I think the 4300 lumen version might be overkill.

Thanks
Mike
Mgriesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:22 AM   #8
Baja Designs OP
Baja Designs
 
Baja Designs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: san marcos, ca
Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgriesi View Post
Saw the new lights on this post and was wondering what would you recommend for the following.
Want light for daytime visibility
Want to have a high and low setting as I live in a rural area with lots of Deer coming out from the brush
Want longer throw on the light as well as a wide for illumination of the brush
Currently have the LED headlight and wonderwheel

What would i need to accomplish the above. Also what would be the price tag.
How would all this be wired. Would I have to splice into wiring?
How would I activate the high and low output?
I think the 4300 lumen version might be overkill.

Thanks
Mike
Mike,

Here is a list of the parts needed,

Squadron Pro, LED BMW 1200GS Light Kit (13-ON)
49-7043
http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...Light-Kit-13on
MSRP: $519.95

Squadron (Pro & Sport)/S2 Motorcycle Skene Dimmer Kit
63-9207
http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...mNumber=639207
MSRP: $89.99

Squadron (Pro & Sport) Wide Cornering Kit
66-0001
http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...-Cornering-Kit
MSRP: $24.95
Running one lens Driving/Combo and one Wide Cornering will provide you the perfect amount of lighting near field and distance.

The additional skene dimmer kit will supply wiring harness and instructions allowing you to run your lights dimmed on Low Beams and Full power on High Beams.
When you switch from low beam to high on your stock switch, it will change the light to full brightness. You will need to splice into your stock Hi-Lo beam wires.

Here is an installation manual for the skene dimmer:
http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/im...manual-web.pdf

Your total would be $634.89 for that order.
There is an ADV Rider discount of 10% off bringing your total down to $571.39

Baja Designs screwed with this post 03-10-2015 at 09:24 AM
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 08:15 PM   #9
Mgriesi
n00b
 
Joined: Sep 2013
Location: Kenosha Wisconsin
Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Designs View Post
Mike,

Here is a list of the parts needed,

Squadron Pro, LED BMW 1200GS Light Kit (13-ON)
49-7043
http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...Light-Kit-13on
MSRP: $519.95

Squadron (Pro & Sport)/S2 Motorcycle Skene Dimmer Kit
63-9207
http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...23506023073596
MSRP: $89.99

Squadron (Pro & Sport) Wide Cornering Kit
66-0001
http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...-Cornering-Kit
MSRP: $24.95
Running one lens Driving/Combo and one Wide Cornering will provide you the perfect amount of lighting near field and distance.

The additional skene dimmer kit will supply wiring harness and instructions allowing you to run your lights dimmed on Low Beams and Full power on High Beams.
When you switch from low beam to high on your stock switch, it will change the light to full brightness. You will need to splice into your stock Hi-Lo beam wires.

Here is an installation manual for the skene dimmer:
http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/im...manual-web.pdf

Your total would be $634.89 for that order.
There is an ADV Rider discount of 10% off bringing your total down to $571.39
Thanks Bailey

I read on the Skene design that the controller can not be used on 2014 bmw r1200gs model with LED headlight
Quote from their website:
Note 1: The 2014+ BMW R1200GS with LED headlight option provides no access to the high beam wire, so the IQ-175 cannot be used with this vehicle. The model with normal headlights works fine.

Would need to come up with another option for this feature.
Mgriesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:49 AM   #10
Baja Designs OP
Baja Designs
 
Baja Designs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: san marcos, ca
Oddometer: 683
2015 Husqvarna XL Pro Kit!

We are pleased to announce that the 2015+ Husqvarna XL Pro Kit is now being produced and making its way onto husky bikes!!!
http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...mNumber=507002


You have from now until 3/13/15 to get in on the group buy:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1044865

Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 12:49 PM   #11
shrederscott
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: denver
Oddometer: 560
Hi

I own the squardon xl

Baja Designs was awesome to work with in getting my light, and the light is sooooooooo good !

I highly recommend the company.

But....since you ask for recommendations and complaints here is mine.

I want a DOT lens for my squardon lights !

I have ask this in the past.....and.....gotten the brush off with a " DOT lens will degrade race light performace " for an answer.


Of course that would happen......but......off road folks would not run this lens.

I run DOT knobbies to be legal for street use

I and others who use your lights would like a DOT lens so our lights are legal for street use to.

A DOT lens is safer for the rider on the street ... less likly to blind on coming traffic.

I am sure your talented light engineers can design a DOT lens.....be cool if there was a quick change option between the lens.

Baja Designs clearly understands the lighting needs of both the off road, and road riding dual sport riders better than any other lighting company.

If Baja Designs were to offer a DOT lens option, I feel that there many dual sport riders like myself that would utlize that lens.

Baja Designs rocks for comming to adv community with such great products, support, and openness for feedback from its users !

Now exactly when can I expect that lens

Ride on !

Scott
shrederscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:12 PM   #12
Baja Designs OP
Baja Designs
 
Baja Designs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: san marcos, ca
Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrederscott View Post
Hi

I own the squardon xl
Baja Designs was awesome to work with in getting my light, and the light is sooooooooo good !
I highly recommend the company.
But....since you ask for recommendations and complaints here is mine.
I want a DOT lens for my squardon lights !
I have ask this in the past.....and.....gotten the brush off with a " DOT lens will degrade race light performace " for an answer.
Of course that would happen......but......off road folks would not run this lens.
I run DOT knobbies to be legal for street use
I and others who use your lights would like a DOT lens so our lights are legal for street use to.
A DOT lens is safer for the rider on the street ... less likly to blind on coming traffic.
I am sure your talented light engineers can design a DOT lens.....be cool if there was a quick change option between the lens.
Baja Designs clearly understands the lighting needs of both the off road, and road riding dual sport riders better than any other lighting company.
If Baja Designs were to offer a DOT lens option, I feel that there many dual sport riders like myself that would utlize that lens.
Baja Designs rocks for comming to adv community with such great products, support, and openness for feedback from its users !
Now exactly when can I expect that lens

Ride on !

Scott
Scott,

I really appreciate your feedback!
We have received a lot of inquiries about DOT approved lights.
We do not offer a street legal light, but many people often avoid problems with law enforcement by using a skene dimmer:
http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDe...mNumber=660055

This allows you to program desired brightness for low beam and full power on high beam! It adjusts in increments of 10% (10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, etc.)
Currently that is the chosen method for running on the street.



Thank You,
Bailey, Baja Designs

Baja Designs screwed with this post 03-12-2015 at 09:02 AM
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:36 PM   #13
Baja Designs OP
Baja Designs
 
Baja Designs's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: san marcos, ca
Oddometer: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgriesi View Post
Thanks Bailey

I read on the Skene design that the controller can not be used on 2014 bmw r1200gs model with LED headlight
Quote from their website:
Note 1: The 2014+ BMW R1200GS with LED headlight option provides no access to the high beam wire, so the IQ-175 cannot be used with this vehicle. The model with normal headlights works fine.

Would need to come up with another option for this feature.
There is a way around this!
You could splice the low beam wire from the skene into the Daytime Running Lights. The dimmed mode will be on during DRL. To activate the full power you will need to push the Red Switch. I'll send you a PM!
Baja Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:41 PM   #14
shrederscott
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2014
Location: denver
Oddometer: 560
Hi Baja Designs

I do run dimmer, aim my light low, and I seldom get flashed.

It does seem to an effective solution.

BUT .....I still want a DOT lens to be fully compliant.

What is preventing the production of a DOT lens ?

Customer demand seems strong.

Are there significant regulatory - legal hurdles ? .....although cars now have DOT headlight systems.

It seems like your talented light engineers have the skills to design a lens to DOT requirements.

If I was a baja factory team manager and wanted a custom a lens / light pattern. .... would you make it ?

Regardless thanks for such a great headlight ! It is a signficant improvement over stock.

Ride on

Scott

shrederscott screwed with this post 03-10-2015 at 06:55 PM
shrederscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 10:30 PM   #15
tr0yy
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2013
Location: West Coast
Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Are there significant regulatory - legal hurdles ? .....although cars now have DOT headlight systems.
I am totally unaffiliated with anyone but here ya go ...

Quote:
DOT does not approve any automotive lighting products. All items to which a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard applies, must be certified as complying with all applicable federal safety standards by the party responsible for it entering commerce in the US. That means that every item must comply, and the party certifying that is legally responsible for that compliance and noncompliance, if the item is determined to be so. That also means that the party is responsible for the recall and remedy of that item.

Headlamps, headlamp bulbs and headlamp ballasts must all be certified as complying with Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 108. The bulbs must comply with the information specified for them in the public docket established in Title 49 Code of Federal Regulations, Part 564. It also specifies the requirements for ballasts. Ballests themselves, must be registered with NHTSA in accordance with the procedures in Part 564.
tr0yy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015