Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2010, 10:16 AM   #16
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,641
Been using the Ram mounts on my 60csx for years. Broken one in a crash and another has widened over the the last year to the point the unit rattles inside the mount.

Question: I download my tracks after every ride so would like access to the port so that I can plug in the USB cable into the back of the GPS. Any chance you will be making one with that option? If not is it possible to just drill out the material for access or will this significantly weaken the mount?
Team "Fingering The Bean"

Looking for the woman that takes the wheel when I'm seeing double.
team ftb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #17
Stovebolt OP
Team Ruptured Buzzard

Oddometer: 462
Can Do - Will Do....

Team Ftb,

It's no trick for me to drill out all the ports in the back, to include the external antenna and usb port - my first cradles had them drilled out. I just think it's more elegant without them, and of course less labor involved for me when I sell them. I have no plans on making them standard with drilled ports other than for power port, because most users might take the unit out of the cradle and head toward the computer. But it would be easy enough for me to do for you and I can send you one how you want it. No problem. It shouldn't affect the strength or durability of the cradle in any measurable way, if our field tests are any indication. All the field testing and crashing we've been doing has been with Kydex units with all the rear access ports relieved for access, save for my current crop of concealex that I just decided not to relieve for retail production. Most users would not be using the external antenna option on this GPS for off-road applications, and I figured to blow off the labor, and let a user drill a hole if they wanted to. In most cases there, I should suspect, folks might opt to drill out for just the USB port like what you ask about. It's not a bad thought, and I can get you one like that. Just sharing my thoughts on how I came to the decision, for what it may be worth...

If you want a Kydex one, I have those right now and can ship as soon as I get a check. If you want concealex it will be about 2 weeks and I can put you on the list. I'm only taking checks right now, and you can shoot me an e-mail or a pm to get one. I have flat rate US Priority Mail boxes to just drop in the mail that makes it a good-to-go operation for me.

For the first few months of this hi-tech operation (look out Donald Trump) I will mail all my units to my new friends US PRIORITY MAIL CONUS for free, my dime. As demand may increase and I am able to manage my numbers better, I'll probably charge the $4.95 for that. When I have my IPO, I'll never forget all the people who made me rich and famous. For a while, regular US PRIORITY MAIL flat rate is on me.

Also, just to clarify - since people use terms differently - what I make and sell are CRADLES, not "mounts." The RAM mounting system is what it is, and I think it's great, and refer to it as the "mount" or mounting system. I don't sell them - RAM has them, and my CRADLES are supplied to replace just the RAM CRADLE in their mounting system. The cradle being the plastic thing that, in RAM's case looks good, but as has been noted by some users and agreed with by me, and only in my opinion of course, is sucky at keeping the 60CSX secure. "Sucky" is a technical term I have learned from getting ramped up in the business world, and working with high-tech materials, studying about roHS certifications, dealing with NAFTA and the IRS, the NAACP, the CIA, MI5, and all other manner of agencies and literature over the course of this endeavor so far. I have also heard RAM cradle users banty the term about as they wandered off into the sagebrush looking for $400 navigation devices that had gone missing from their cockpits. I listen, and I continue to learn.

The RAM CRADLE is easy to get a GPS into and out of, and mine are harder to get a GPS in to. Not difficult - just harder. And more durable. And offer more unit protection to include the antenna. And getting prettier. And that's the secret.... they are made to retain the GPS - PERIOD. There have been ZERO accidental ejections from any of my cradles so far. I would bet that any GPS loss from one of my cradles would have to occur only during a catastrophic failure of the entire front end of a motorcycle; like a loss of handlebars, triple clamps, steering head. You would then find the decapitated GPS still secured inside my Buzz Bomb cradle. Except you would probably already be dead at that point. The RAM (mounting) system is that good, in my opinion, and my "Buzz Bombs" are the first thing to come along that aren't a weak link in that chain. In my opinion.

Thanks for your interest, and let me know if I can help.

Sincerely,

Stovey

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb
Been using the Ram mounts on my 60csx for years. Broken one in a crash and another has widened over the the last year to the point the unit rattles inside the mount.

Question: I download my tracks after every ride so would like access to the port so that I can plug in the USB cable into the back of the GPS. Any chance you will be making one with that option? If not is it possible to just drill out the material for access or will this significantly weaken the mount?
http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-jankowsky/86/31/b04

Stovebolt screwed with this post 02-19-2010 at 05:49 PM
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 06:46 PM   #18
Jwats
Bike till u Die

Oddometer: 173
repeat for clarification

Huh, what. please repeat
Jwats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #19
advjackass
orange crusher

Oddometer: 925
what is the ETA of the new batch?
advjackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:16 PM   #20
Stovebolt OP
Team Ruptured Buzzard

Jay,

Hey there..... Shipping Concealex starting end of next week - you will have yours for Baja, guaranteed.

I have these mugs lined out for next run of CONCEALEX, checks on the way from some of them now:

Jwats built / PAID / delivered :-)

advjackass built / PAID / installed
Pigpen in-build / needs ASAP / PAID / shipped and PM'd
Terrapin84 pm / built / PAID / Shipped
Teton Bailey built / PAID / delivered
Bumpylogz built / PAID / delivered
Knobbiethrower built / PAID / shipped and PM'd
JoeNuclear built / PAID / shipped and PM'd
Bicycle Phil
/ built / Paid / PM'd shipping

and five others from a different forum, and a handful from other sources. I am keeping busy, and more raw material is ordered, but not enough time in the day.

Anybody else wants one, shoot me a PM.

Make check out to:

Dave Jankowsky
P.O. Box 656
Victor, ID 83455

I'm paying the USPS flat rate PRIORITY MAIL for the next couple months.

You will miss me in Baja this year............... what will you guys do without somebody to have to babysit?

advjackass - I'll be in the shop tomorrow (Friday) if you will be around. I am working on cradles, but won't have them done until next week. I will not forget you brutha......

Stovey

Quote:
Originally Posted by advjackass
what is the ETA of the new batch?

Stovebolt screwed with this post 04-19-2010 at 08:13 AM
Old 02-26-2010, 10:33 AM   #21
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,146
Check is in the mail.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:59 PM   #22
Stovebolt OP
Team Ruptured Buzzard

Joe,

PM sent - and THANK YOU Sir!

Stovey

Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear
Check is in the mail.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #23
Jwats
Bike till u Die

consealex mount

We did a Baja test run on the bikes today. The new concealex mount is fabulous. I did not upset the apple crate but also had no worries the new mount is SOLID. Thaks Jenks, Joe
Old 02-27-2010, 08:21 PM   #24
Stovebolt OP
Team Ruptured Buzzard

Jwats -

Thanks Joe, words I appreciate for sure. Not only for the report of good news on the current production units, but for the fact that you are okay with it - I know how hard you can be on equipment.

(For those who haven't had the opportunity to ride with Jwats - he took a whipper in Baja last year and rung his bell so hard he had to toss a new Arai XD into the trash....)

I appreciate all your support and encouragement, Joe. I wish I was with you in Baja this year. Glad the shakedown ride today went good!

Seizure,

Stovey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwats
We did a Baja test run on the bikes today. The new concealex mount is fabulous. I did not upset the apple crate but also had no worries the new mount is SOLID. Thaks Jenks, Joe
Old 03-05-2010, 10:33 AM   #25
Stovebolt OP
Team Ruptured Buzzard

Cradles have been shipping...

My last run of Concealex cradles has all but entirely shipped - only 1 left unsold. A new run starts next week. Still have a few Kydex left on hand and will make more of those as well. My posse left for Baja yesterday with all new Cradles on board, they will reach San Felipe tonight and start riding for a week tomorrow. I'm sure they'll chime in here after they get back. if they get back.....

I am away from the computer from now until Tuesday, blowing holes through the powder on my sled near Mt. Jefferson in the Continental Divide in Idaho with a snow ranger buddy of mine - new improved cradle on board. Thanks to everybody who has purchased so far, let me know how they work for you.

Looking forward to the Montana 1000 already!

Sincere,

Stovey
Old 03-14-2010, 11:32 PM   #26
Stovebolt OP
Team Ruptured Buzzard

New Run starting this week for Concealex

Well, my little concern has a following - small but growing, and everybody who has purchased is greatly appreciated. I haven't heard back from everybody yet, but from those who have contacted me - reports are favorable. I especially appreciate the feedback and suggestions received from PIGPEN and KNOBBIETHROWER on how to make improvements.

My posse called me from Mesquite this evening on their way home from 10 days riding in Baja, and I got a short but powerful earful from inmate Berg Briggs on some of the highlights of their ride. I don't want to steal their thunder, but they got mobbed up in the middle of the 250 racecourse and had ringside seats for some great death-defying action, rode up on a guy who had gotten welded to a cactus after an endo, and his mates had to pry the guy loose from the stem he snapped off because he was velcroed to it and it was acting like a splint, and they couldn't get him off the ground; watched Robbie Gordon tear through the finish line in San Felipe in his trophy truck sideways through the arches "like something out of the 'Book of Revelations" and also managed to keep Jay's bike from becoming a $10,000 signal fire in Gonzaga Bay by the skin of their teeth. Pretty much got their money's worth of adventure in Baja, as usual. I hope my cradles held up...... I was so caught up in the stories on the phone that I actually forgot to ask. Can you believe it?

I left off other misadventures and excitement and glory - not mine to tell. I hope they post up after getting back. I hope my cradles worked as intended. We'll find out here, and I'll have to stand for it, one way or the other. (Shoulda asked before I posted..... but my nuts are as into this as they are on the line, so might as well roll solid.....)

I have orders for more cradles coming in that I am aware of, and need to keep making more. Shoot me a PM if you want one and I'll make you one.

Thanks

Stovey
Old 03-15-2010, 02:54 PM   #27
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

Stovey,

I'll take one of them pretty units with that oh so high dollar carbon fiber look. Can you drill out the USB port (keep the external antennae covered)area for mine? That way I only have to remove the unit for batteries which is not too often since it's hardwired.

One thing I'm back to Thailand the first week in April, if I send out a check to you tomorrow what are the odds the unit gets to me in Los Angeles before my flight leaves on April 8th? If you can do it I'll mail the check tomorrow.

Now where the hell is the checkbook , I haven't written a check in two years and Stovey is gonna have me on a wild goose chase now I reckon looking for it.

Let me know if your schedule can get it to me before April 8th. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:00 PM   #28
Stovebolt OP
Team Ruptured Buzzard

Fingerin The Bean, (WTF?!)

PM sent!

Coolio - I'll take care of you.....

Stovey

Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb
Stovey,

I'll take one of them pretty units with that oh so high dollar carbon fiber look. Can you drill out the USB port (keep the external antennae covered)area for mine? That way I only have to remove the unit for batteries which is not too often since it's hardwired.

One thing I'm back to Thailand the first week in April, if I send out a check to you tomorrow what are the odds the unit gets to me in Los Angeles before my flight leaves on April 8th? If you can do it I'll mail the check tomorrow.

Now where the hell is the checkbook , I haven't written a check in two years and Stovey is gonna have me on a wild goose chase now I reckon looking for it.

Let me know if your schedule can get it to me before April 8th. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:05 PM   #29
team ftb
Befuddled Adventurer

This guy has lost his marbles.

Stovey sends me a PM, knows nothing of me except I've got a deviant user name.

I ask him if his work load and shipping schedule will allow the unit to be sent to me in time as I'm flying out of the country soon. He replies, no problem I'll send a unit off to you tomorrow (keep in mind he has no payment from me yet). No idea whether I'll stiff him or not as our whole interaction has been one post in his thread, giving him not much to judge my character by. That my friends is serious Karma and a whole lot of faith. Hats off to you Stovey for your outlook on things. Wish the whole world was a bit more like you.

Love doing business with decent folk. You're top of my list Stovey, thanks mate .

Stovebolt wrote:
Quote:
Fingerin The Bean, (WTF?!)

You'd of loved to have seen the car hood when I was racing stockcars years ago with our Team FTB logo, told to remove it by the santioning body at the time .

Cheers,

Justin

Old 03-16-2010, 10:53 AM   #30
Jwats
Bike till u Die

Concelex durability

Just returned from BAJA a shit load of miles in a short time frame. A couple of stumbles but hey look the friggin GPS is still there. Good job Jenks, a stellar product, very convenient & tuff, Thanks Jwats