ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2010, 03:54 AM   #31
EvilClown
Reality show stunt double

Oddometer: 16,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by baiku
Quote:
Originally Posted by baiku
I'm gonna take a deep breath and try the ice on the DRZ tomorrow.

Where you going?

My rear ice tire is still laying on the machine after our 'session' last night. What a suck fest. I'm no mechanic but I'm pretty sure when you attempt to fix a flat all the air should stay in the tire - at least until you get it on the bike. It layed there for a moment then "Pfffftt...." Felt like the kid who just popped his tire pumping it up. Last tube of course...

Don't ask.

Picked up a couple more tubes late before throwing in the towel. Shoulda just kept running it flat.

Maybe later today. Found a great spot for quiet pipes.

----------------------------------------------

I was thinking of the the last place you, Chris and Rob tried. Rode around the preimeter but didn't see an entry point that looked public. If you go, let me know where & when.

It's ice today or being an elitist prick in Newburyport, Portsmouth and Kittery. The stars don't align like that often.
You'd better get suited up. That Portsmouth tag won't be there long. The old Pig is itching to take a run. Have a place in mind for it tomorrow.

BTW, we got on the pond right at the end of the paved road at the 'beach'. Might sneak over there every day this weekend. All 3 of them. We're not going to have too many more chances for ice riding this season. Did you happen to notice if the snow has blown off?

The future is no place to place your better days. ~ DMB

ECUADOR: Maintaining Rigid Flexibility
EvilClown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:56 AM   #32
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Oddometer: 7,429
well I guess I will give the new thread a workout...

My youngest son Nathan who graduates High School this spring has enrolled in the University of Northwestern Ohio. It is one of the best mechanical schools in the country. He will also take some business classes and will graduate with a degree versus a certificate.

Since we are going to be investing a fair amount of money here my wife and I decided a visit was in order before we start sending $$$$.

My wife is not one for long car trips so she talked me into flying, which I hate for a great number of reasons But the flight out was uneventful and everything went well.

Grabbed a few pics over the area before landing in Dayton Ohio..Lots of straight roads

The following day we went for a tour of the school. I was very impressed. The automotive shop probably has 24 service bays over half of which have lifts.

There are classrooms on both sides of the garage area as well. They do a little class work then step out the door and work on a car..

The diesel shop has at least 8 trucks in it with a pile of engines as well. This is what my son is taking, but he may also take regular auto as well.

They also have a large Agricultural garage and classes..there were 3 of these harvesters and at least 6 other tractors in the building

They also have a very large High performance section where they teach chassis construction and set-up, engine building and tuning. They have 2 engine dynos and 2 rear wheel dynos. They have one garage devoted to fabrication..( I wanted to stay there )

They just put NOS in the cougar and are hoping for low 11's

and yes they do race most of the cars you see. They have a local drag strip and a dirt circle track as well as paved.

They have sent students on to nascar and big league drag teams..

after the tour we went for a ride around the area, Lima is alot like Lewiston Auburn region. As soon as you leave town though everything turns flat and open. Looked like a lot of cornfields. I have never seen roads so straight and flat. And they suck at plowing this is 3 days after a 10" storm..

The following day another storm blew in and we spent the day lying around the hotel, we were going to go exploring but they suck at clearing the roads. That evening we found out our flight out the next day was canceled due to this most recent storm. So we got our tickets refunded and decided to drive the rental car home. Man I am glad I took the laptop and gps. I drove about 550 miles the first day on snow covered roads in a rented malibu..not fun. The last day was much nicer as we saw blue sky's the entire way.. Ended up being about 950 miles and probably 16 hrs.

It was hard to keep track of the road at times..

a couple of state lines from the first day driving home..

I cant wait to go out next summer to visit him, we are planning a bike trip of it. There were some areas we passed through that I would like to see from the bike in the summer months..
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"

PWRCRZR screwed with this post 02-13-2010 at 04:10 AM
PWRCRZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 04:00 AM   #33
EvilClown

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRCRZR
Nice wagon.

Looks like a great school.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:19 AM   #34
baiku OP
Manaical Engineer

Oddometer: 1,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown
You'd better get suited up. That Portsmouth tag won't be there long. The old Pig is itching to take a run. Have a place in mind for it tomorrow.

BTW, we got on the pond right at the end of the paved road at the 'beach'. Might sneak over there every day this weekend. All 3 of them. We're not going to have too many more chances for ice riding this season. Did you happen to notice if the snow has blown off?
Don't know. I was there a day before the snow. Guess I'll load the DRZ and do stuff here. Let me know when you head out to the pond -- I'll want someone around to pick up the pieces.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:39 AM   #35
EvilClown

Quote:
And they suck at plowing this is 3 days after a 10" storm..

...The following day another storm blew in and we spent the day lying around the hotel, we were going to go exploring but they suck at clearing the roads.
Part of the problem may be the price of salt there. The farther you get from the port, the more ungodly the price.

Imagine what it must be like trying to get anywhere in the 'snow belt' of Texas right now? I'll bet 10" of snow there is like 4 feet all at once here.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #36
MsLizVt
pfft ...

Oddometer: 1,543
Do you have college student envy ...

Quote:
My youngest son Nathan who graduates High School this spring has enrolled in the University of Northwestern Ohio. It is one of the best mechanical schools in the country. He will also take some business classes and will graduate with a degree versus a certificate.

The following day we went for a tour of the school. I was very impressed. The automotive shop probably has 24 service bays over half of which have lifts.

There are classrooms on both sides of the garage area as well. They do a little class work then step out the door and work on a car..

The diesel shop has at least 8 trucks in it with a pile of engines as well. This is what my son is taking, but he may also take regular auto as well.

They also have a very large High performance section where they teach chassis construction and set-up, engine building and tuning. They have 2 engine dynos and 2 rear wheel dynos. They have one garage devoted to fabrication..( I wanted to stay there )

They just put NOS in the cougar and are hoping for low 11's

I cant wait to go out next summer to visit him, we are planning a bike trip of it. There were some areas we passed through that I would like to see from the bike in the summer months..
Dave, Hi!

That is just plain FANTASTIC!!!! What an incredible school for Nathan, the opportunities he'll have are unbelievable. Good choice on his part, great parents on your part!

Okay, I have to ask. Did you walk through all those shops thinking "oooOOoooo I'd love to have ... and that ... and that ... and this .. and .."

Best wishes to Nathan.

Enjoy,

Liz
MsLizVt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #37
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsLizVt
Dave, Hi!

That is just plain FANTASTIC!!!! What an incredible school for Nathan, the opportunities he'll have are unbelievable. Good choice on his part, great parents on your part!

Okay, I have to ask. Did you walk through all those shops thinking "oooOOoooo I'd love to have ... and that ... and that ... and this .. and .."

Best wishes to Nathan.

Enjoy,

Liz
Oh ya I wish I had a few years to kill and a pocket full of money to back it

I will be happy enough to send my son, the kid has a natural talent that will take him far in life..
However, I am not complaining because I know that I am probably better today then I will be tomorrow, so I try and enjoy every day as it comes, and stay determined to live well and be appreciative of what I still can do..."Stromsurfer"
Old 02-13-2010, 03:04 PM   #38
EvilClown

Another afternoon on the pond.

drc42 gives the DR a workout...

I'll post some video as soon as it's done loading.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:07 PM   #39
EvilClown

Old 02-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #40
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Ya know I will have to try that in VT
Old 02-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #41
EvilClown

Quote:
Ya know I will have to try that in VT
I've know that for weeks.

Be forewarned, you will be hooked.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #42
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown
I've know that for weeks.

Be forewarned, you will be hooked.

I am still working on Internalcombust...he said if there is no fresh snow here he will try to go..

I will let you know as soon as I know

I will get the KLR ready this week..barring a big storm Saturday I am in
Old 02-14-2010, 06:33 AM   #43
Poacher Bob
Persona non grata

Oddometer: 2,099
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaw4Life
I thought was to the Granite State Boys?

Why are we planning Maine rides here?
OK anybody interested in a dirt ride after the White Horse Press BBQ? (we may pass into Maine though... )
Poacher Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:36 AM   #44
PWRCRZR
Grumpy Old Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poacher Bob
OK anybody interested in a dirt ride after the White Horse Press BBQ? (we may pass into Maine though... )
You build it and they will come
Old 02-14-2010, 07:11 AM   #45
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poacher Bob
Most certainly. Has White Horse set a date for the BBQ yet?