Airvent
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
Airvent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:27 AM   #17
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,022
Nice find on the bike. Have you given any thought to your tire selection, yet? What about spare nuts and bolts? When do you expect to leave? That may affect your tire selection -- good in mud vs just ok in mud. Check your spoke torque and bring a spoke wrench; you might need it on the western TAT.

Given your budget and the amount you've spent so far I'm assuming that you are going to be camping most of the way. Have you given any thought to that yet as far as where and gear?

I had almost as much fun preparing my bike and planning the trip as I actually did doing the trip last year. Probably going to try it again this year once I get the engine repaired.

The only other thing I can think now is to finish your bike prep a couple of weeks before you leave. And then ride it to make certain everything just works.

Looking forward to following your RR!

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:24 PM   #18
Off Limits
Really?

Oddometer: 3,317
just recieved my box of goodies from pro cycle today.

4.9 ims tank "clear"

swmotech center stand

fork solution kit

shock solution kit withthe 8.3 spring

licence plate holder and led light

for a wind screen i ordered a cee bailey baja screen and simply bolted it onto the headlight fairing. keeps the wind off my chest and the helmet in clean air. the windscreen has been on for months, no issues.

i had pro cycle put a petcock on the tank because i didnt want to have a vacuum petcock. i figure i could use the vacuum for maybe a chain oiler of just plug it up.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:57 PM   #19
71tr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Great build project. I just added the IMS tank to my DR650 as well. As an alternative to the stock fuel petcock a couple of Yamaha units will also fit after a bit of filing as shown here. I believe the units are for the Yamy Raptor and Road Star bikes and are relatively inexpensive. These are gravity fed so you get to lose the vacuum hose.
71tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:05 PM   #20
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelord
... Any help with items I am forgeting please feel free to chime in. I need all the help I can get. Has anyone tried the anti-vibration risers? I am mounting the tank and seat today so I will post some info on that latter...
I suggest getting a new battery before you go. Motorcycle batteries seem to go bad with little warning. Also, bring a spare, pre-oiled air filter. Your list has a K&N, but get more than one filter. Some like these, others think they are Death for the engine.

Some headlamp HID replacements are as low as $50. I will probably get one for my bike this year.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:57 PM   #21
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,525
can i ride behind an keep all the tools you've lost???

so is that stock petcock hitting the motor fins???
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 02:47 AM   #22
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins
can i ride behind an keep all the tools you've lost???
I was also thinking that an open-ended tool roll might not fare well on a bumpy ride.

Might be wise to put the entire roll inside a closed, zippered pouch.
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #23
joelord OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Thanks for all the insight and posts! I am very grateful to be apart of Adventure Rider and posting my own tread.
I wanted to answer some of the posts. I will be adding more this week with pictures..
The tool roll is not open ended? Although I may be nieve but it has the sides that the tools slide into and once rolled seams very secure. I am also useing bunge cords as well to secure it all. I will of course put miles on the bike before hand loaded to see how everything shakes out. I have decided to leave late June so I have plenty of time to get it right. If for some reason it doesn't I will come up with a better mouse trap!
As for the comment on it being just as fun preparing for the trip with the build and all. He couldnt be more spot on. I have been having a blast building and antisipating the ride.
The battery was new and installed prior to me picking up the bike. Sometimes a blind squrel gets a nut!
I was asked twice about the petcock and clearance. I have had no clearance issues and everything fits as it should. There was no shaving or notching of anything just a strait forward install.
Lastley on the budget... That was just for the bikes and modifications. I plan on spending nights in a hotel or motel all the way. There is something to be said for a hot shower every night after the days ride. I will be riding Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge parkway before the trail. That should be interesting and enjoyable just the same. I have ridden the skyline drive but never continued on through to the Blueridge Parkway. And I am concidering once in Oregon to ride the PCH down and attend the MotoGP raceing in Laguna, as I am a HUGE fan! This seems optomistic at best but we shall see once underway and how things play out. I may sell the bike once out there and fly back. I definately need to do somemore thinking about once I am out there how I am going to get back! LOL. I would love to ship my R1200GS out there to finsh the ride home on tar (B roads) but the costs are too great.
Thanks again for all the interest!
joelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #24
SwitchThrottle
Bring da amber lamps

Oddometer: 1,048
Looking forward to the build. From experience with lost tools...your gonna want to find a way to close that tool roll up.
Attached Images

Riding a motorcycle is fun. Riding a supermoto is inexplicable.
SwitchThrottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:03 PM   #25
r00t4rd3d
ADV Rider

Oddometer: 895
Its need to go in a bag or something.

03 Honda XR250R
r00t4rd3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:11 AM   #26
CODRriders
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Best Wishes on the trail...

Joe Keep it coming (5days gone by) , I have a DR650 and plan on doing the TAT as well so I am watching your thread and build with great interest and have already bought some of the items you listed. I am curious why the investment for the suspension upgrade?
CODRriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:36 AM   #27
TheFrenchCanadian
Frog Prince

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by CODRriders
..I am curious why the investment for the suspension upgrade?
Don't mean to hijack, but have you taken your DR650 across anything challenging suspension-wise? I have. Mine now wears an Elka rear shock & I have intiminators and proper weight springs waiting to be installed.

Rode a friend's DRZ400SM (with dirt wheels), and realised that on washboard I wasn't skipping around all over the place getting badly jarred. I actually was still completely in control and able to properly steer/brake and even accelerate - something that would have been unusual for my DR650 in those same circumstances. For me that was the day I realised I needed to do something. The installation of a much better quality aftermarket rear suspension unit only made the front seem that much worse!

I think the shortcomings of the DR650 suspension are widely known & publicised on this site and all over the web...

Just my $0.02

B.T.W. Joelord, I dy fitted my IMS tank with OEM petcock and you were right, no trimming required for me either. I've got about 1/4" clearance from the cooling fins, fits like a glove. Thanks for the info...

Take care,
TFC
Old 02-27-2010, 07:55 AM   #28
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,916
You will lose your tools riding with a tool pack like that. Trust me, I know this from experience . It's better to use something that zips shut and keep the tool rolls in a bag.

Edit: Said something about getting a new chain but then noticed it was on your list. Keep the new chain clean!
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:57 AM   #29
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,569
TFC gives some good advice. Suspension work always pays bigger dividends than motorwork.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:58 AM   #30
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas
If you did, sorry but a chain should definitely be high on the list.
and if you are replacing your chain, do the sprockets. Nothing wears out a chain faster than worn sprokets.