eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:24 PM   #33
joelord OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Hello again.
I tinkered some more with the bike.
I installed an accessory outlet:
I installed a BMW style plug to run the pump I have as well as any other items that would have that European style plug. I mounted it in an existing hole in the headlight support bracket. I couldn’t believe how well it fit there and how easy and clean it looked there. I also installed a standard cigarette lighter plug as well below it in the fairing plastic (not in this picture but coming soon). I wired them both dirrect to the battery.
\
I changed the oil, oiled the chain, lubed the cables, cleaned out the air box & the cleanout plug and replaced the filters (The little breather one as well pictured), Rounded of the brake and clutch levers, and grease the hand controls, lastly I changed the plugs.

I installed the center stand (SW Moto), and installed the aftermarket exhaust (FMF Q4). I also found out the tires that are on the bike when I bought it were installed backwards. It appears that the person who owned the bike before wasn’t that knowledgeable. There is no way someone that knows his way around motorbikes installs tires backwards. I can’t imagine how the bike managed with that condition but the rear is worn out completely but the front still has life left so it appears they have been installed incorrectly for some time. I ordered two sets of tires for the bike both Pirelli’s. I went with the MT21’s for the dirt and MT90’s for the street seeing how I am going to be riding from Mass to Tenn. to start the trail.

I installed the windscreen. I went with a S0-6. It seemed to be very popular so I went with it. I found it to be a pretty strait forward install but I can never leave anything alone. I decided to cut in some reliefs in the stock fairing and install some poppy’s to stable the screen. It seems to have really stiffened it up. I am not a fan of things flopping around and coming loose from vibration.
I decided with Moose for the roll chart holder and mounted that on the handlebar next to the GPS. I needed to make a custom bracket to support the Zumo. I have been using the Zumo for some time and I really like the ease of use of the unit.
I am almost done now. I will mount the tires and also the luggage system. After that it will need a shake down and work out anything that it not up to par. I am working on compiling a list of spares and gear to bring along.
I got the tires mounted and I had some solid aluminum bar lying around so I decided to bend it up to protect the shifter and brake. It came out ok but could have been better. I also ordered some protection pieces that go over the oil filter and the cases. Lastley I decided to install some forward pegs to ease the long pavement rides. I am not sure how well they will hold up in a crash but what the heck... If they break off they break off. I will enjoy them up untill the Inevitable happens.
I am done minus the shock. It is still out getting rebuilt to handle the extra weight I am excerting on the bike with me + gear. I will have some photos showing the finish bike some time before the weekned hopefully.
Thanks

joelord screwed with this post 03-03-2010 at 07:33 PM
joelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #34
DisTech
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 616
Old 03-03-2010, 10:45 PM   #35
french horn
Just Add venture

Oddometer: 441
XLNT

I'm in !! Great to see another build .... the more I see, the more I learn.
It wont be too long ( a few years ) and I'll hit 60yo ... I GOTTA get me a DR and ride across my continent before then !!

Keep up the good work.

PS: .. I've done it on my ST1300, all hard top. I NEED to "do it in the dirt".
french horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:18 PM   #36
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelord
I also found out the tires that are on the bike when I bought it were installed backwards. It appears that the person who owned the bike before wasn’t that knowledgeable. There is no way someone that knows his way around motorbikes installs tires backwards. I can’t imagine how the bike managed with that condition but the rear is worn out completely but the front still has life left so it appears they have been installed incorrectly for some time.
Actually, there are some tires that will wear better and with reduced cupping reverse. I think most people do it on purpoose with the Mefo Explorer front for example. And I bet the handling difference is not as big as you think, if you would even notice it.
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:51 AM   #37
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,399
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 06:48 PM   #38
joelord OP
Adventurer

Here we go… These are the pictures I have promised to you all. The bike is complete minus:
The rear shock
Top bag to complete the luggage
The rear shock is still out being rebuilt but it will not change the look of the bike once finished.
As for the luggage, I decided that the bag that came with the system I bought was too small (30 liters). I opted for a kuryakyn Bag that is over double the size to go on top of the side panniers and just give me more room for my clothes and gear. I want to make sure I have “room to grow” when I am out there. The last thing I want is to be chock full before I leave. There is always something that you pick up along the way and need room to pack it.
I will take more pictures when I get the new top bag fitted. Go ahead and look at the pictures and ask me what you are curious about... Thanks

Old 03-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #39
Caribou Aqua Buddha
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,983
The blue ones are faster.

[IMG][/IMG]
Caribou Aqua Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:14 AM   #40
CODRriders
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
The Build looks great! Nicely done!

Joe here are the questions I have...The Denali package I just received. Where did you buy the tube you installed? Will I have room on both sides so I can put the tire repair kit in one and my additional tools in the other?

The tail lights will have to come off the bike to accommodate the new rack....since I don't have the bike apart yet can you tell me what to expect....are there quick connects for the turn signals? How is the cable routed? Will I need to extend the cables to get them relocated? Looks like the cables are stretched in the photo. Any suggestions or things I need to look out for? Can you take a closer picture of the 2 "L" brackets and the mounting points? The instructions you get with the package leave a lot to be desired.

CODRriders screwed with this post 03-07-2010 at 06:26 AM
CODRriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:21 AM   #41
eldomike
Who Cares

Oddometer: 807
Nice build....what have you figured out for a cruise control?
eldomike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:45 AM   #42
french horn
Just Add venture

Oddometer: 441
Now THAT is a bloody nice bike mate .. a credit to you.
french horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #43
joelord OP
Adventurer

Here are the answers to your questions
Where did you buy the tube you installed?
Ebay sells them for 20 to 30 or so dollars or you can buy them for 4.99 here
http://www.agrisupply.com/product.asp?pn=67670&sid=&eid=
Will I have room on both sides so I can put the tire repair kit in one and my additional tools in the other?
The short answer is no. Only one side but you could get creative and install them in multipul places like under the luggage racks...

Are there quick connects for the turn signals?

Yes, factory connectors that unsnap or unclip
How is the cable routed? Will I need to extend the cables to get them relocated?
You can route them anyway, they will work although the wire is tight after relocating them but they will work without adding lenghth.
I will take some more pictures of the rack and the mounting for you in the next few days. Thanks for the questions and comments!
Old 03-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #44
CODRriders
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Thank you

Thank you Joe...how did the shake out ride go?
CODRriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:47 PM   #45
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,682
looks good.

you're going to be standing up at times. especially colo
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUK...Q5fAccessories

those tank stickers will probably come off from the vapors.

been wondering how the lower support frame of the rear turbo city racks will hold up when you dump (and you will) and leverage them up from the impact. time will tell.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote