User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2010, 04:56 AM   #61
french horn
Just Add venture

Oddometer: 371
Total bummer

Take time to heal well then 'ave another bash at it mate ... looking forward to it.

french horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #62
Exile
The Mundane and The Magic

Oddometer: 197
Sorry to hear the crash was bad enough to postpone the trip. I just went down on the interstate as well. I installed my new tires and tubes for the trip and while riding through a 45mph construction zone my rear valve stem tore itself from the tube, tire went flat almost instantly, and I went down. I was fine and the bike is fixed but it makes you a little wary. Anyway, I hope you heal up well and are able to get back out there. Best of luck.
My DR650 Build
DR650 Stator Rewire

Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 09:47 PM   #63
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 1,954
Sorry to hear about your crash and injuries, but a great thread! As a future DR650 owner, I'll watch it closely.

I hope you heal quickly!

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
'01 Yamaha FZ1
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:43 AM   #64
DirtNomad
Bright Side of Life

Oddometer: 6
The Tat can be Brutal

Sorry about your crash, I am really enjoying your thread. It takes so many hours to get ready, it really is a shame to have the trip cut short this year.

I have been riding the TAT for about a week, and two days ago one of the Canadians I was with went down and broke his wrist.....It seems only the corners have gravel!

Best of luck healing, I know you will enjoy the ride next year.

Nomad

DirtNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:52 AM   #65
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
What does a build like this cost approximatley along with the cost of the bike?
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:58 AM   #66
joelord OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I spent a total of six large including the bike. I have alot of stuff bolted to the bike for that price and it performed flawlessly. I cannot say enough about the bike and how well it performed up untill the spill. I thank all of you for your kind words and will definatly be attacking the trail next year once healed. It was such a nothing spill and if I went down like I did twenty times I would have just gotten up and dusted off and continued. Sometimes things happen for a reason and I have excepted the defeat...It was definatley a shame and a real let down. Thanks agian and I will be keeping an eye on the thread.
joelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #67
joelord OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
DR650 TAT Build, prep, ride Summer 2012

The time has come to start planing to tackle the TAT again. My first attempt was 2010 and it ended in a crash in Tenn and I had to abandon the journey (surgery and plates put into my hand) and ship the bike home. 2011 did not work out as I got married to the best girl in the world! Now it is time to dust the bike off and start the planing stages once again. I will be posting and putting up new pictures of the bike in its currant state. Since the bikes crash and return, it did make one more trip to MotoGp in Indy last year. 2000 road miles and the bike performed flawlessly while its throttle cable was stretched mile after mile. The longest mile days were in the seven hundred+ range with constant stretches of 80 or more mph. I cannot say enough about this bike and its durability. Everything that was bolted onto it for the TAT held up and nothing rattled off. I guess that is good validation to my build & skills, LOL. Even the nah-sayers, regarding my tool roll on the fender, I am happy to report that nothing ever fell out or even came close to falling out. It did have some wobbles while passing the big trucks with its soft luggage being the culprit and acting like a sail at highway speeds, this is a dirt bike after all. So I guess it is time to start planing....
joelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:21 AM   #68
wncstrada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Based on your experiences with the bike, are you going to make any changes or additions? Congratulations and good luck this year!
wncstrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #69
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelord View Post
b ... 2000 road miles and the bike performed flawlessly while its throttle cable was stretched mile after mile. ....
I think you meant that throttle cable stretching as a metaphor, but on my Great Divide Route (aka Continental Divide Trail) ride a few years ago, the only mechanical problems I had were with cables. The throttle cable and tube got clogged with dirt, making riding difficult, and the speedo cable broke. Next time I will replace the throttle and clutch cables before I go. I already have an 'old' clutch cable threaded into the frame so I can replace mine if it broke.

Just another lesson I learned. YMMV.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote