Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
Wilson9068 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Garmin 276C - Spoken directions

Hi guys,

I am thinking of buying a second hand Garmin 276c. However, I am a little confused. The Garmin site states that the unit does not output voice prompts, yet it does have an output for a headphone jack/audio line out. A video on youtube shows a demonstartion of the system outputing voice commands so I am a little confused? Does this unit outout voice prompts or not?

Any help much appreaciated.

Wilson.
Wilson9068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 12,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson9068
Hi guys,

I am thinking of buying a second hand Garmin 276c. However, I am a little confused. The Garmin site states that the unit does not output voice prompts, yet it does have an output for a headphone jack/audio line out. A video on youtube shows a demonstartion of the system outputing voice commands so I am a little confused? Does this unit outout voice prompts or not?

Any help much appreaciated.

Wilson.
Does give directions, but doesn't speak road names.

"Turn left in half a mile.."

"Turn left here.."

No internal speaker means that you only get beep prompts from the unit unless you have your headphones plugged in, or you have the 12v charger/speaker cable plugged in.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,654
Man, Garmin has really screwed up the "specs" on a lot of their units.

In the specs it says no to voice prompts and speaks street names but under features it says

"On land, the GPSMAP 276C’s autoroute basemap can route you on interstates and major highways. For even more detail, get the optional automotive kit (sold separately), which includes City Navigator® detailed maps, a data card and an automotive mount. With this kit, just load the detailed street maps on your 276C and pop it into the automotive mount for voice-prompted turn-by-turn directions to over six million addresses and points of interest, including restaurants, hotels, gas stations, marinas and other attractions."

I'm pretty sure the track log is NOT 10,000 points (maybe 3000?) and it holds 15 saved tracks not 20. I don't actually own one though, this is just from my research.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:41 AM   #4
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
276C Info

I have 3 Garmin 276c's... they are that good.

It does have a 10,000 point active track log, saved track logs are up to 700 points.

It does handle 20 stored track logs.

It does handle 50 saved routes of up to 300 points each.... this does NOT mean you can have 50 routes with 300 each - there is a limit on maximun points, it means some can be as long as 300 points.

It also can store 3000 waypoints.....

It deos voice prompts (without street names) IF you have maps loaded (on Garmin cards) AND you have an external speaker.

Hope this helps......
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
tbirdsp
REMF

Sorry for the bad info then. Was it changed to 20 tracks with a firmware update? I could have sworn they had 15 tracks of 700 each when I was checking them out.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:54 AM   #6
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oops!

You're right - it does only handle 15 tracks!

Sorry about that - I was on the road and didn't have the unit in my hand!

I normally only use direct routes - easier to see and close enough to know where I'm going. Also, there is lots of information I embed in my routes - distance between gas stops, miles to go for the day, etc.

Pretty much the only thing I use tracks for is see where I actually went verses where I thought I was supposed to go.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:00 AM   #7
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler
You're right - it does only handle 15 tracks!

Sorry about that - I was on the road and didn't have the unit in my hand!

I normally only use direct routes - easier to see and close enough to know where I'm going. Also, there is lots of information I embed in my routes - distance between gas stops, miles to go for the day, etc.

Pretty much the only thing I use tracks for is see where I actually went verses where I thought I was supposed to go.

Why do you embed that info in the track instead of just allowing the unit to tell it to you on a route?

Old 02-14-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
Wilson9068 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Guys,

Cheers for the help. I must admit I have found some of the info on various Garmin units a little conflicting/un-clear. There is one on ebay at the moment for £400 but I think that is a little expensive for a unit that I guess did not retail for that much more 5 or so years ago? I think the unit is discontinued now so I guess I will just have to wait until one comes up.

Its great to hear they are a robust unit that a lot of people seem to use.

Im planning on doing the world of BMW Mountians all the way tour again this having done it in 2008 without a GPS. Im sure it will be up to the job for this 10 day tour but I may be back asking some tech questions on routing and what sort of maps I will need or if I can get away with the ones supplied.

Wilson.
Wilson9068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #9
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Info on where I'm going

Since I don't use an external speaker or headphones on my 276c I just leave the sound turned off.

Sometimes the tracks that we work with are very long and cover multiple days - Big Dog's CDR tracks are an example. He has just 4 main tracks and one optional track for a 2700 mile ride that takes 10-14 days to ride. Way too small a line to see quickly while riding and the waypoints are not attached in any way to the track so they don't pop up on the screen.

The TAT routes I created as one per day - in the title of the route I name it day of ride, state, day within state and miles for the day. EX- 05AR01 225

Waypoints for gas/food/etc are part of the route, so as I approach them they pop up on the screen saying you are approaching them - EX - G AR1 67...... Gas, the 1st in Arkansas, 67 miles to the next gas.

All of these things help me during the course of the day.... I know starting out how far I need to go, I know how far the next gas is, etc. I carry NO notes about the course, and only a state highway map roughly marked with the route I'm following.... to be used for unexpected situations.

I prefer to do my planning ahead of time, and spend the time out riding enjoying the scenery!
Old 02-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #10
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Wow that's some pre planning. I can see why you'd create such detailed tracks.

Since I spend he majority of my time on asphalt I typically wing it with a rough route pre calced.

Boon Booni screwed with this post 02-15-2010 at 03:43 PM
Old 02-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #11
vfroger
Not lost, just misguided

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler

Waypoints for gas/food/etc are part of the route, so as I approach them they pop up on the screen saying you are approaching them -
How do you make that happen?
Old 02-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #12
tbirdsp
REMF

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfroger
How do you make that happen?
vfroger, he is just talking about normal route navigation. If you have waypoints as part of a route it will tell you when you are approaching them.
What you are looking for in your other thread is more of a "proximity alarm" for the speed cameras.

You probably don't want to add the speed cameras to your route as waypoints and navigate right to them