ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #1
Royalwapiti OP
McGillicuddy's pal

Oddometer: 93
New Mexico western routes

I am planning a trip on my KLR, I want to leave Denver and head west to Zion and other neat locations then head south to Grand Canyon to PHX.

From PHX, after a few days rest, I want to hit some old stomping grounds, I worked a summer at the copper mine in Morenci, AZ, and I hunted elk over by Reserve, NM a few years later. So I want to revisit those areas and work my way north back to Denver.

I am thinking a route from El Morro, east to State Road 50 north to Bluewater Lake, via Forest Road 548, up to Thoreau. This appears like it follows the continental divide, though that wasn't in my plans.

Any suggestions on what else I see in north or western NM. And I am open to any routes you suggest to get me back to Denver. I won't have alot of time to do off-road all the way. But short routes connecting highways will be OK. Also trying to avoid the interstates.

Thanks. All ideas welcome.

2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 Red
Royalwapiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:11 AM   #2
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,604
Moved to the Rockies Forum.....

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:07 AM   #3
Hakatan
quality > quantity

Oddometer: 1,020
I rode through NW NM in the reverse, from Denver to Sierra Vista, AZ last September.

Some suggestions:
1. Look at the maps/GPS tracks for the Great Divide Mountain Bike Ride ("Continental Divide Ride"), and try to ride some of that route if it's dry. If it's been raining, those NM dirt roads can get pretty sloppy, especially between Grants and Cuba, NM!
2. If you worked at the copper mine (damn, that place is big) you must know of 191 north from Clifton through Alpine, AZ
3. If you have the time, a stop by El Morro National Monument off of NM53 is a worthwhile diversion.
4. Chain of Craters Backcountry Byway looked promising (and was recommended here on ADV), but happened to be big mud bog when I tried to go through. If it's dry, it should be a great ride.
4. 319 through El Vado, NM and over the dam is a pretty ride. Easy dirt around the dam, and zero traffic.
5. Heading over paved Cumbres Pass (CO17) is a beautiful ride back into Colorado.

Have fun

Hakatan screwed with this post 02-15-2010 at 07:22 AM
Hakatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:58 AM   #4
barko1
barko1

Oddometer: 3,050
Not many roads in NM! The only paved head North East of I25 is 180. 191 in AZ from Clifton is a classic. I haven't done the road,159, from Glenwood East to 163 and 52 but that's possible. I'd stay West until further North depending on time of year/weather.
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
barko1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
Royalwapiti OP
McGillicuddy's pal

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakatan
2. If you worked at the copper mine (damn, that place is big) you must know of 191 north from Clifton through Alpine, AZ
Have fun
Yea, I think it was called the 666 back when I was there in summer of 87. I never took it north to Alpine, every friday I got off work and raced to Phx. Went back to Clifton/Morenci late Sunday night.

Alpine, AZ is in my plans this time.

Some good ideas guys. I am trailering my bike to Denver from Iowa, riding across Nebraska is not in my plans.

Anybody else?

2009 Kawasaki KLR 650 Red
Royalwapiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,727
It is not clear when you are going. But on a KLR there is lots of fun dirt road mountain riding in the Grants area both south and north of I-40. You can go to near the top of Mt. Taylor, but probably not until early June due to snow. Here is a gpx file with some tracks in the area from a ride we did a few years ago. We spent one day south of I-40 and one day north. There are a lot more roads than what we took, but this is what we had time for.

wbbnm screwed with this post 03-30-2010 at 03:51 PM
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:50 AM   #7
Colorado970
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalwapiti
Yea, I think it was called the 666 back when I was there in summer of 87. I never took it north to Alpine, every friday I got off work and raced to Phx. Went back to Clifton/Morenci late Sunday night.

Alpine, AZ is in my plans this time.

Some good ideas guys. I am trailering my bike to Denver from Iowa, riding across Nebraska is not in my plans.

Anybody else?
Hwy 191 north of Clifton is really fun. I think it was built with Model T's in mind, or right after that era - going slow and lots of switchbacks. I don't think we went over 45 mph until we got close to Alpine, I remember while riding being in 2nd and 3rd gear most of the time.

Since it snows in June there, if you don't head east from Alpine due to snowy roads - you can head north up to Springerville and then east. There is a pretty good coffee shop with some real character locals in Springerville, called Java Blue's at 341 East Main, that was a welcome butt break.

Colorado970 screwed with this post 02-15-2010 at 11:08 AM
Colorado970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,493
Have not done it yet, but have heard good things about the Black Hills BLM Back Country Byway from Safford to Morenci. - Mostly Dirt I think?

191 north of Morenci is a blast - Paved

Blue River Valley Rd. (that is what I call, it don't know the actual name) from@Hannigan Meadows (Hwy 191) to Hwy 180 (approx 12mi south of Reserve). - Dirt, well maintained on AZ side, sketchy on NM side if wet.

Good luck, I hope this helps
cross-country is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #9
anomad
in storage

Oddometer: 1,657
http://www.blm.gov/nm/st/en/prog/mor...pha_list0.html

maps...
anomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:17 PM   #10
barko1
barko1

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomad
Nice link
DR650, 98 Bimota SB6R, Kawasaki 14, 67 X-6 Scrambler (apart), SL350K1 (apart), 77 Goldwing 1000,, Triumph Thunderbird Sport, Triumph Daytona Super III, DR650, MZ Skorpian Sport Cup, 71 Triumph Daytona 500, 1965 Bridgestone 90!
Old 02-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #11
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

We rode that Black Hills byway between Morenci and Safford last spring and it was a very nice alternative to the hiway. Good dirt road. There is a bridge across the Gila River so you don't have to worry about a water crossing. We also did 191 and dirt roads thru the forest from Alpine and Pie Town and NM 117 along the Maplpais just west of Grants. This was in late April and last year we only hit a little snow on dirt roads above ~9200 ft. It was a great ride. Of course that doesn't mean squat for this year. (Actually we rode this backwards on a trip from Abq to Phoenix.) On the way back we took picked up dirt roads north along the NM boarder a few miles west of Springerville and made our way east thru scenic desert ranchland over to the road between Pie Town and 117.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:23 PM   #12
barko1
barko1

FYI The Gila (Mtns) have 250% of average snowfall this year
Old 02-15-2010, 07:37 PM   #13
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm
We rode that Black Hills byway between Morenci and Safford last spring and it was a very nice alternative to the hiway. Good dirt road. There is a bridge across the Gila River so you don't have to worry about a water crossing. We also did 191 and dirt roads thru the forest from Alpine and Pie Town and NM 117 along the Maplpais just west of Grants. This was in late April and last year we only hit a little snow on dirt roads above ~9200 ft. It was a great ride. Of course that doesn't mean squat for this year. (Actually we rode this backwards on a trip from Abq to Phoenix.) On the way back we took picked up dirt roads north along the NM boarder a few miles west of Springerville and made our way east thru scenic desert ranchland over to the road between Pie Town and 117.
some interesting stuff in there, got tracks?
cross-country is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:51 AM   #14
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Yes as a matter of fact. This also includes some good riding in central AZ. We did the Mogollon Rim coming back and it was pretty spectacular.

wbbnm screwed with this post 03-30-2010 at 03:51 PM