Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2015, 07:11 PM   #1
Llamaha OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Would it be a bad idea to supermoto an RMX450z?

I've been considering a Suzuki RM450z as a platform for a supermoto but can't find much information about anyone doing it previously.

The reasons I'm considering this model are:

I'm after something unique, lightweight and powerful
It's cheaper than the other 450s available (same price as the KLX, 1k cheaper than the WR450F and 3-4k cheaper than the KTM)
This model has a wide ratio gearbox
Compression ratio is 11:6:1 which is less than the other 450 enduros, I assume this gives it better service intervals (though I may be wrong?).

I'd install supermoto wheels and an IMS tank then hope to be done with it.

Also I ride daily but not long distances, I've put 20,000 on my current bike (WR250X) in 2 1/2 years. I'd expect the RMX to take over this role.

If anyone has any advice then that would be appreciated.

Thanks
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:01 AM   #2
boingk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 360
Hi there mate, so long as you maintain the bike properly (ie oil/filters/valves when needed or sooner) then you won't have a problem.

The RMX is a solid base for a moto conversion and I'd probably just through some crossover tyres like Avon Distanzias on it and go for gold! If you want a rim swap for 17" tyres then go for it, but I'd be happy with either, depends on your budget.

I used to ride a DRZ400E and that was a hoot around the place, and can only imagine the RMX450 to be that bike, lighter, with the power of my old supertuned XR600R. A man sure can dream...

As for mileage, I'm not sure. The RMX is a lightly detuned version of the full-house RM-Z450, which had a peak of 54hp... more than any of the competition. It also had the best torque spread. I think the restricted version still has 45hp - the RMZ can be limited to that figure via ignition rewiring behind the front plate I believe for non-race practises etc.

Anyway, at 45hp the engine should be very streetable and still lots of fun.

Go for it, I would if I had the money!
Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM   #3
Llamaha OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 853
Thanks for your advice it's really helpful. I'm keeping my eyes open for a secondhand or ex demo at which point I think I'll go ahead with this project.

45HP is plenty for street use in my opinion! It's up there with the 650s.
Llamaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:45 AM   #4
tHEtREV
Captain Awesome

Oddometer: 7,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llamaha View Post
Thanks for your advice it's really helpful. I'm keeping my eyes open for a secondhand or ex demo at which point I think I'll go ahead with this project.
Second hand ones might be a bit hard to come by at the moment, the only released the street legal option of the RMX this year.

All the earlier ones are not road legal.

And remember that they are a competition bike, designed to be raced and looked after mechanically.

Expect to be giving it a fresh top end after about 1000Klms, only use good oil and change it every 1000 or so Klms.

Personally I think it would be an expensive and time consuming exercise using one as a commuter and not to mention a waste of a bike. That's why I have a 250 to do my running around on, and an enduro for fun.

Edit, don't know where you got your price from but from this article http://www.bikepoint.com.au/content/...-version-49787 it says the ADRed RMX is $12,490 and said
Quote:
As well as the WR450F ($12,999), CRF450X ($11,590) and KLX450R ($10,999), other opposition for the RMX450Z includes the KTM 450EXC ($13,795) and Husqvarna FE450 ($14,095).

A KDX is way cooler than what ever you ride...

tHEtREV screwed with this post Today at 03:51 AM
tHEtREV is offline   Reply With Quote