Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2014, 03:41 PM   #1
mmd6782 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Question 1998 ktm 620sc - Basic information

Hello fellow adventure riders,

Yes I'm a noob. Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, but I'm looking for model specific information on the 98 ktm 620sc that I recently purchased. The bike is completely original and in like new condition. Purchased from original owner.

I own many bikes and have ridden since I was very young and when I saw this bike listed for sale I thought I would jump at the opportunity to add this gem to my collection. The original owner told me that it was somewhat of a rare model and that it was not supposed to have been brought into the states. Well I don't know if that is true but I do know that I'm have a very difficult time finding any information about the model, available aftermarket parts and things that should be addressed from a maintenance standpoint.

Can someone point me in the right direction and hopefully answer some of these questions?
mmd6782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:59 PM   #2
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,192
I'm pretty sure the 99 was the one not supposed to be imported. I got one in 620SX trim because some S. American dealer went under so they brought in 5 I was told. They held them back because the RFS was coming late in 99 as 2000 models.

Does it have a flame type shroud graphic and the "new" KTM orange? Mine had a Dell Orto carb too. 50mm WP Extreme forks also.

Post a pic, I know the one I had instantly.
Navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:00 PM   #3
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Mine was just like this one.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:01 PM   #4
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

The 98 bike was like this one.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
mmd6782 OP
Adventurer

98 ktm 620sc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
Mine was just like this one.

Yep, that's it. Only difference is it has the headlight and turn signals. I'll post a pic when I get a chance. Why is there so little information to be found about that model? Is there a thread here?
Old 08-24-2014, 04:27 PM   #6
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Na, all the older LC4 bikes are pretty much the same. Different carb, exhaust, lights, etc. Basic bike is the same. Later engines got a few tweaks, the frame changed very slightly, oil system and E-start... What else, oh, different forks, tanks. Not much else iirc, one or two SM models too.

The SX had no frame oil filter or tank I think. The enduro/DS might have it, if there is an oil filter on the front down tube I believe.

Is it kick start only?

Little about that year as there were so few to even come here, and very few built in total too. I tried to find my old one and have located a total of one. LOL, And I have his PM in my messages just in case!
Old 08-24-2014, 04:44 PM   #7
mmd6782 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Na, all the older LC4 bikes are pretty much the same. Different carb, exhaust, lights, etc. Basic bike is the same. Later engines got a few tweaks, the frame changed very slightly, oil system and E-start... What else, oh, different forks, tanks. Not much else iirc, one or two SM models too.

The SX had no frame oil filter or tank I think. The enduro/DS might have it, if there is an oil filter on the front down tube I believe.

Is it kick start only?

Little about that year as there were so few to even come here, and very few built in total too. I tried to find my old one and have located a total of one. LOL, And I have his PM in my messages just in case!
Yes, kick start only. Does have the dellorto phm 40 carb. Pulled it out and having it re-jetted. We're these models restricted? It runs and starts without any issues but there is no high rev top end. It just cuts out in the high rev area past 3/4 throttle and starts to bog and backfire. Was there any must do performance enhancements? Any place or person to find out more about tweaking this thing?
Old 08-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #8
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

It should pull like a friggin train if it is running correctly. It was a gentle giant, and you could ride it like an XR80 or dial in as much speed as you'd want.

I raced only MX with mine, 3rd gear holeshots were stupid easy on that thing against almost all 250 2t bikes.

Have it gone over, clean the carb, check leak down and valves.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:03 AM   #9
mmd6782 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
It should pull like a friggin train if it is running correctly. It was a gentle giant, and you could ride it like an XR80 or dial in as much speed as you'd want.

I raced only MX with mine, 3rd gear holeshots were stupid easy on that thing against almost all 250 2t bikes.

Have it gone over, clean the carb, check leak down and valves.
Thought I would post a pic of the bike. Still looking for anyone to offer advice on utilizing this model for dual sport riding. Thanks
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2014, 05:42 AM   #10
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,829
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86958

Here ya go, all things LC4. I have a 2001 400 e. I ride it everywhere except the freeway but they'll even do that with proper gearing. At 300 lbs. a tad heavy for any serious single track use but, a lot of guys do that also. Over all, an excellent platform for dual sport. Dual sport bikes are all about compromise. The LC4 covers the middle ground like the boss. Not really good for single track, not really good for the freeway. Any thing between these two extremes, it rules. It weighs 30 lbs less than a DRZ 400 with 50% more HP. You do the math. They didn't sell many in the US, but do have a an almost cult like following with some folks. Parts are drying up but still available, expect to order and wait for some items. Enjoy!
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:14 AM   #11
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Don't try to do much hard enduro on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4ENOyyidxo

If yours is based on my SX, it should be a lot lighter than a DRZ or the other LC4s. It was about as trimmed down as they could be.

And, a 540cc version was the first 4t to qualify for a SX.

http://www.enduro360.com/2010/08/19/...-made-history/
Old 08-26-2014, 07:42 AM   #12
johnno950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmd6782 View Post
Thought I would post a pic of the bike. Still looking for anyone to offer advice on utilizing this model for dual sport riding. Thanks
I had 2 of them,a 620 kini replicia and a 620 same as image you posted,nice bikes but couldnt keep stators in either of them.Carry a pair of comfy walking boots in your fanny? pack....i can assure you will need them.
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:04 AM   #13
mmd6782 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnno950 View Post
I had 2 of them,a 620 kini replicia and a 620 same as image you posted,nice bikes but couldnt keep stators in either of them.Carry a pair of comfy walking boots in your fanny? pack....i can assure you will need them.
I need to do the clutch. What clutch kit is best to use for this bike? EBC?
Thanks for all the information so far. Very helpful.
Old 08-26-2014, 10:10 AM   #14
mmd6782 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
I need to do the clutch. What clutch kit is best to use for this bike? EBC?
Thanks for all the information so far. Very helpful.
Two more questions. Can anyone recommend front and rear sprocket sizes would be best all-around dirt/pavement gearing and also sounds like the stators are weak in design and outout. Is there a recommended upgrade?
Thanks again all
Old 08-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #15
rz35027
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
If it's street legal where you are, it is the dual sport model...

Great vid above ^^... and yes, the bike will do all that if you can :)
As has been said it can be a great dual sport, tweak it the way you want street/dirt and go...

I've only heard bad things about the SEM ignition... 6 years on mine and it's still going, so far not too bad (I probably shouldn't have said that)... Pitifull electrical output though, i don't ride much at night... not enough light.

IMO, great bike when it's set up. "The LC4 covers the middle ground like the boss."

Most parts are interchangeable with the 640...

No options I know of for stator upgrade...

Gearing really depends on where you'll be riding... 15/45 for fast dirt, higher if you're running pavement very much.

rz35027 screwed with this post 08-26-2014 at 10:23 AM
rz35027 is offline   Reply With Quote