Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2010, 10:43 AM   #271
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by newt_sr
Oh yeah, you've entered the machinist's realm now (nice pics b.t.w., how do you post pics here?) Unless you're willing to learn some new skills and purchase some new tools, I'ld go find a good machinist. Do that leak test I was talking about. I'm willing to bet that all four of your valves aren't seating (from the burn pattern I see) and that the loose bolt is definitely gonna come into play here. Hopefully, if the head isn't warped, a new gasket and torqueing all your bolts will fix any blowby but, you need an expert here (to at least measure/replain your head).
I thought you had a manual? Setting the timing isn't as hard as it is intimidating. I decided to pull the jug and the piston so that all three areas could be reworked (valves, cylinder, rings). I figured it was smart to "get'r done" while she was this far down.

I hope that 'loose bolt' isn't actually stripped... whole nuther can o'worms...
Newt: I see you figured out the pictures part

As for what you suggested, I am going to take it to a mechanic tomorrow morning for him to check the valve seating and cam wear. I'm also going to show him the pictures I took. He's factory certified so I imagine he'd have a good idea what to do. I am admittedly intimidated by timing and thus destroying my engine. I do have a manual though so I know I can do it, just not a fan of trying for the first time on my daily rider

As for the bolt, it didn't look stripped so that's hopeful.

I like the lightweight mods you did to the XT
Old 05-04-2010, 10:56 AM   #272
newt_sr
"Get off!" ...Walter

Oddometer: 124
Yup, she's a screamer

(not the bolt, the threads in the hole)
newt_sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:11 PM   #273
newt_sr
"Get off!" ...Walter

Anybody???

Is there enough room to re-assemble the jug and cylinder head with the lower end still attached to the bike? I'm thinking I can re-assemble my bike while I'm waiting on the machine work being done.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:07 PM   #274
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Quote:
Is there enough room to re-assemble the jug and cylinder head with the lower end still attached to the bike? I'm thinking I can re-assemble my bike while I'm waiting on the machine work being done.
I do all my work with the motor in the frame. I had to remove all the bolts holding the engine in, but I never had to remove the actual engine. I just moved it around a little and the valve cover came off out of the right side.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #275
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Good news everybody!

Took the topend to my mechanic and had him give it a look over.

So far, he said the cams and the journals look good. There is no scoring of either the cam lobes, tappets, or the journals. What looks like scraping on the journals is actually machining marks, and they are all uniform in pattern. Someone suggested the hard surface had worn through but in actuality the surface is fine and not worn through.

The valves were checked for seating and they did not leak, so they are seating fine. Still, we are going to lapp the valves for good measure. The valve guides seem fine as he checked the feel and play and there was very little and the seals look healthy even at a ripe age of 29 years. No cracking and they are still flexible. I cleaned all the carbon off the valves and the head and it is looking mighty healthy now. We still have to do the 2 exhaust side valves but it is looking very promising at this point.

At this point my mechanic is confident the gasket leak from the cam chain into the cylinder is the culprit for most of my oil puffs and consumption. He also theorizes that the starvation on start up could be caused because of pressure interferences from the leaking gasket, but it remains to be seen if that is the case. There was definitely a difference in gasket surface between the healthy mated surface and the lifted surface, and even some caramel colored marks under the gasket where oil stained the surface.

So, in conclusion my head is still healthy and my valves seem strong yet. I'm ordering a new gasket today and we will see how that goes. I just hope I can remember how to put it back together when we are done cleaning everything

EDIT: How hard are valve seals to install? I'm thinking of getting new ones just because it would give me a peace of mind and it is only another $15 while i have it apart.

XTwarrior screwed with this post 05-05-2010 at 11:46 AM
XTwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #276
newt_sr
"Get off!" ...Walter

(1983 + 29 = 2010 ?)

Think of the added horsepower... yeah.

Valve guides seals are easy enough when the head is apart. Shouldn't you be getting them down to your mechanic while he's lapping the valves?

newt_sr screwed with this post 05-05-2010 at 01:11 PM
Old 05-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #277
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Quote:

(1983 + 29 = 2010 ?)

Think of the added horsepower... yeah.

Valve guides seals are easy enough when the head is apart. Shouldn't you be getting them down to your mechanic while he's lapping the valves?
Well, my math is horrible as evidenced by my failing of Algebra 2

As for the valve seals, they are on order. My mechanic is a cool dude, so he's letting me just keep the stuff at his shop until they come in. He's slow right now so he doesn't mind a 2x2 foot area being used for now. He even showed me and let me lap my own valves a little bit

Here are some updated pictures. The amount of carbon I removed from the inside cannot be justified by photos. I've had poorly maintaned briggs and strattons that were clean compared to the inside of this combustion chamber.

We did deduce the gasket leak messed with the seat on the exhaust side valve. There was alot of deposits and carbon around and inside the port, and the valve seat had lots of black deposits on it. I can't imagine the seat liked that much.

[img][/img]

Here's a pic of the exhaust valves pulled out a little to show some of the lapping. The exhaust side valves had a little bit of play in the guides but my mechanic said it is nothing to worry about yet.

Old 05-09-2010, 09:16 PM   #278
newt_sr
"Get off!" ...Walter

so, what's the latest?

I see somebody got a 'barely used' CDI unit for $49.99 USD on Ebay.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:40 AM   #279
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Quote:
so, what's the latest?

I see somebody got a 'barely used' CDI unit for $49.99 USD on Ebay.
For me nothing. I am waiting for the cylinder gasket to come in. Freaking Bike Bandit is dragging their feet. I did get the Viton Valve seals in the mail so just waiting on that. For the fender I think I am going to just trace out a design on the front, cut it a few inches shorter in the front and re-inforce the structure so it doesn't wobble in the wind. I may or may not have dropped the XT on myself when working on it a few weeks ago and brokent he mount for the fender....so I may or may not need to cut a 1/4" chunk of steel to bolt under it for structure
Old 05-13-2010, 11:57 AM   #280
XT_Driftwood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Glad to hear it's a (relatively) easy fix!

Word of advice, see that hollow dowel on the top of the cylinder opposite the cam chain side? That is the hole oil flows up through to get to the head. That dowel will pull right out of the cylinder (sometimes fall out) and there is a little rubber o-ring around it. DO NOT PUT THE HEAD BACK ON WITHOUT THAT O-RING IN PLACE!

I did it once. The oil is under a lot of pressure and it ends up pushing past the head gasket and down the right hand side of the motor when it is running. It won't get into the cumbustion chamber, the metal portion of the head gasket prevents that, but your bike will smoke like no tommorrow as the oil burns off the cooling fins.
XT_Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #281
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT_Driftwood
Glad to hear it's a (relatively) easy fix!

Word of advice, see that hollow dowel on the top of the cylinder opposite the cam chain side? That is the hole oil flows up through to get to the head. That dowel will pull right out of the cylinder (sometimes fall out) and there is a little rubber o-ring around it. DO NOT PUT THE HEAD BACK ON WITHOUT THAT O-RING IN PLACE!

I did it once. The oil is under a lot of pressure and it ends up pushing past the head gasket and down the right hand side of the motor when it is running. It won't get into the cumbustion chamber, the metal portion of the head gasket prevents that, but your bike will smoke like no tommorrow as the oil burns off the cooling fins.
Lol, I'll try to remember that. I don't remember seeing a rubber ring. You mean from the picture above right? Where you see the cylinder bolts but there is one hole open in the top (of the picture)?

EDIT: This one:

Old 05-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #282
XT_Driftwood
Gnarly Adventurer

Nope, it's in the top of the cylinder. It fits into that hole in the head at 12 o'clock in your photo.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:31 PM   #283
XT_Driftwood
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XTwarrior

You can see it clearly in this photo. If you were to pull up on that cone-shaped dowel on the right, it would slid right out of there. The rubber sleeve is around the dowel. Actually, I don't know that "dowel" is the correct term, but that's what I call it. But I've also been know to call an 8 lb hand maul a "wrench" too .
Old 05-13-2010, 12:44 PM   #284
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT_Driftwood
You can see it clearly in this photo. If you were to pull up on that cone-shaped dowel on the right, it would slid right out of there. The rubber sleeve is around the dowel. Actually, I don't know that "dowel" is the correct term, but that's what I call it. But I've also been know to call an 8 lb hand maul a "wrench" too .
Ok I got it. I didn't remove either so I guess I should be fine. I started to worry I had screwed something up. Thanks!
Old 05-13-2010, 01:08 PM   #285
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,903
Have a buddy that just picked up a virtually pristine 1977 XT500 and really doesn't want to keep it. Its the dark brown color with only 3000 miles on it,all stock except the tirezs were dry rotted,but he still has them. Whats it worth and is anyone interested ? Dover,PA.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote