Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2010, 01:52 PM   #16
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiiassa
http://www.heikkil.net/tenere/tech.htm

Little bit something XT 550 history etc, Finnish language..

AHHHHHHHHHHHH Babelfish!

Post some pictures of your baby, you know you want to
Old 02-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #17
Colemanfu
King of all manfu

Oddometer: 3,456
Black and yellow model 81 xt550

Sorry - no pix, but when I was in college (1992) I got a 1981 xt550 to get around on. Worked all summer to pay the $1000. My parents always hated bikes so I was on my own - this was my 3rd that I worked for and got on my own. The XT cost me more than my 1st two combind! I rode the hell out of it for 10 years. It was one tuff SOB. In 2002 I killed it and replaced it with a 99 LC4 640e - another big ol street leagal dirt bike. Saw a pix of the old the XT in a stack of college photos and it took me back to a very fun time in life. Took my wife for a ride on it before we even started dating. Put a milk crate on the back and loaded it up with camping gear. I graduated on saturday and hauled it down to FL sunday to start work on monday. I fit everything I owned - including the XT in my car and on 4x8 flat bed former pop up frame. The pix I found was of it all loaded up and ready to leave college.

I know long but that bike was special to us.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:12 PM   #18
Bart
Constant Lurker

Oddometer: 2,955
My '82. It had a brand new motor with 5000kms on it and it worked very well! My buddy had a parts bike 96 YZ250 that I robbed the front end off and mounted. It lets the front end grip through any corner, and has disk brakes!

Old 02-20-2010, 07:22 AM   #19
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Hi all

XT 550 wiring… Where are the ground connections?

I wanted to check the grounds on my ’83 XT550… didn’t find any. The wiring was grounded through the black wire running to the ignition coil…. That can’t be right…

I however found a black wire that wasn’t connected?? See pic.

Does anyone know something about this ??

G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:14 PM   #20
Bart
Constant Lurker

Oddometer: 2,955
Its been a while but I think black is the ground. The spare black wire could be for the voltage regulator. Some models have a ground to drain excess voltage from the regulator. Whether the XT does or not I don't know?
Old 02-20-2010, 08:34 PM   #21
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by G600
Hi all

XT 550 wiring… Where are the ground connections?

I wanted to check the grounds on my ’83 XT550… didn’t find any. The wiring was grounded through the black wire running to the ignition coil…. That can’t be right…

I however found a black wire that wasn’t connected?? See pic.

Does anyone know something about this ??

If that wire is BROWN like it looks, that should be a turn signal.
It looks to small to be a main ground.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:10 PM   #22
netjustin
b00b

Oddometer: 89
XT550 in XT600E chassis

I purchased a motor for my XT600E but despite advertising it was actually an XT550. The engines are different in several ways, but after some research and some interesting trials, I have concluded the 550 is a bolt in replacement with relatively minor modifications required to make the swap.

Matches between the 550 and 600 engines:
  • intake port configuration; use the same carbs if desired
  • exhaust port configuration; use the same exhaust header if desired
  • chassis mount points; use the same engine mounts
  • clutch disks; steel and friction plates match, as well as springs, but 600 requires an additional wave spring not used in 550
  • oil feed line; oil feed inlet is designed and located the same on both models
  • spark plug; threads match between both, and access to the plug for removal is equally absurd on both
  • camshaft; cams are interchangeable between models and (if I remember correctly) have identical lift and duration specs
  • oil filter, cover, and o-rings; direct match
  • fasteners; same quantity and dimensions, more or less, throughout
Mismatches:
  • ignition system; 550 uses CDI* and 600 uses TCI. none of coil, ignition box, or harness are interchangeable without internal modifications
  • oil reservoir and return line; 550 uses an external reservoir, whereas 600 returns oil to in-frame reservoir. return line is different length and construction
  • engine L/R side cover and gasket; close but not interchangeable
  • countersprocket; 550 uses an offset spline "key" whereas 600 uses a centernut
  • countersprocket alignment; 550 countersprocket is positioned a few mm inward, toward the center case**, compared to the 600
* As a side note, I was initially befuddled by a faulty ignition. To save money over a $500 factory replacement I tried the Wayne Gum ignition referenced in the 1st post. I could not be happier with how it runs, and the wiring matched my harness perfectly. Highly recommended at one 1/4 the price.
**The countersprocket alignment did not appear to generate additional chain noise or movement in operation, nor difficulty in adjustment. However, you should expect the chain to stretch faster than stock if this difference is not reconciled at the rear hub. Smaller than stock countersprocket may compound this issue.

netjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:23 PM   #23
Zecatfish
XTique Rider

Oddometer: 7,919
The TT600/XT600 uses a different manifold from the XT550. The 550 might work on the 600, but not the other way around.
I think your going to find that the XT600 carb is going to be jetted a bit rich for the 550 mill too.
I got a perfectly working 550 carb I'll trade you if it is. Its to lean on the TT600 mill in my 550.

The Early Bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
https://sites.google.com/site/ozarkadventuretours/

Zecatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 09:29 PM   #24
netjustin
b00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
The TT600/XT600 uses a different manifold from the XT550. The 550 might work on the 600, but not the other way around.
I think your going to find that the XT600 carb is going to be jetted a bit rich for the 550 mill too.
I got a perfectly working 550 carb I'll trade you if it is. Its to lean on the TT600 mill in my 550.
Yes, jetting will be an issue with an engine swap. Anyone who plans to use overbore, aftermarket intake or exhaust etc should think about rejetting immediately.

Thanks for the tip about the manifold, I did not attend to swap these; only the carburetor.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:55 AM   #25
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart
My '82. It had a brand new motor with 5000kms on it and it worked very well! My buddy had a parts bike 96 YZ250 that I robbed the front end off and mounted. It lets the front end grip through any corner, and has disk brakes!

Have a photo of the front-end?
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 07:08 AM   #26
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zecatfish
If that wire is BROWN like it looks, that should be a turn signal.
It looks to small to be a main ground.

Bart, thanks.
Zecatfish, the wire looks brown on the pic but is black. Agree I don’t think it is ground. I will check again.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:22 AM   #27
G600
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by netjustin
I purchased a motor for my XT600E but despite advertising it was actually an XT550. The engines are different in several ways, but after some research and some interesting trials, I have concluded the 550 is a bolt in replacement with relatively minor modifications required to make the swap.

Matches between the 550 and 600 engines:
  • intake port configuration; use the same carbs if desired
  • exhaust port configuration; use the same exhaust header if desired
  • chassis mount points; use the same engine mounts
  • clutch disks; steel and friction plates match, as well as springs, but 600 requires an additional wave spring not used in 550
  • oil feed line; oil feed inlet is designed and located the same on both models
  • spark plug; threads match between both, and access to the plug for removal is equally absurd on both
  • camshaft; cams are interchangeable between models and (if I remember correctly) have identical lift and duration specs
  • oil filter, cover, and o-rings; direct match
  • fasteners; same quantity and dimensions, more or less, throughout
Mismatches:
  • ignition system; 550 uses CDI* and 600 uses TCI. none of coil, ignition box, or harness are interchangeable without internal modifications
  • oil reservoir and return line; 550 uses an external reservoir, whereas 600 returns oil to in-frame reservoir. return line is different length and construction
  • engine L/R side cover and gasket; close but not interchangeable
  • countersprocket; 550 uses an offset spline "key" whereas 600 uses a centernut
  • countersprocket alignment; 550 countersprocket is positioned a few mm inward, toward the center case**, compared to the 600
* As a side note, I was initially befuddled by a faulty ignition. To save money over a $500 factory replacement I tried the Wayne Gum ignition referenced in the 1st post. I could not be happier with how it runs, and the wiring matched my harness perfectly. Highly recommended at one 1/4 the price.
**The countersprocket alignment did not appear to generate additional chain noise or movement in operation, nor difficulty in adjustment. However, you should expect the chain to stretch faster than stock if this difference is not reconciled at the rear hub. Smaller than stock countersprocket may compound this issue.

Thanks, this is VERY interesting.

How do the two engines compare? Do you feel that the 600 (when it lived) had more power? What about throttle response??
Old 02-21-2010, 07:26 AM   #28
scottpoley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 544
read the manual?!

Had an XT550 a while ago and sold it w/ the owners manual and shop manual. Six months later I run into the guy, who says "You ripped me off! Every time I check the oil it's a quart down and when I put a quart in, it blows oil out the breather tube!".
Me: "Uh, did you check the owner's manual for the proper way to check the oil?"
Him: "WTF! I know how to check the oil!!"

So I explain it to him. Looks dumbfounded, turns and walks away, shaking his head.

Moral: You can give them the manual, but that doesn't mean they're going to read it!
scottpoley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:03 AM   #29
netjustin
b00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by G600
Thanks, this is VERY interesting.

How do the two engines compare? Do you feel that the 600 (when it lived) had more power? What about throttle response??
I can not give the 550 a fair appraisal because the motor as purchased had a few thousand dollars in performance upgrades for racing. It looks dirty and it's a sleeper motor.

I do know the 550 is a lighter plant. I had to lift both engines by hand for the swap, and while I wish I had taken a moment to get them on a scale, I did notice what felt like a substantial weight difference. 15-20 lb. A big part of this weight difference is in the starter motor, starter clutch, heavier flywheel (to connect to starter), starter idler gear.

So the 3-4 horsepower difference between the two motors might be a wash when you factor in the weight difference!
Old 02-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #30
XTwarrior OP
My bike is older than me

Oddometer: 281
G600 - I also had a missing Ground wire in my system and I found a bolt all by it's lonesame, so I cleaned the spot up with some light grinding and made that bolt my new ground. Haven't had an issue in 2,000 miles . You can also try splicing into the battery ground for a better ground option depending on the wire length available.

Netjustin - WOW! Nice motorcycle, lots and lots of custom stuff done! Thanks for the info as well, I'll add it to the original post shortly. Looks like a damned blast!

I believe the Wayne Gum Hyperpak actually comes with a diagram of what all the wires do since they all go through the CDI at one point. My CDI had 11 wires and the Hyperpak had 12, I forget which one I didn't use but everything works fine.

Going to hopefully (weather permitting) ride the XT to a friend of mine's shop to have the front rim trued. Has a nasty vibration above 60 and I have this thing geared real high; does 85 on a flat at only 4,500 RPM's and I ride it at 85 the whole time I'm on a highway.

P.S. - Does anyone know how to link just to a single post in a thread, and not the whole thread?

XTwarrior screwed with this post 02-21-2010 at 12:31 PM
XTwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote