ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Which bike for a 6' tall, 235 lb rider with long arms?
2007 KTM Super Duke with lots of goodies 25 59.52%
2009 Triumph Speed Triple with a couple of goodies 17 40.48%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
Tilter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Round Two: Speed Triple vs. KTM Super Duke

You guys were a great help with the s3 choice over a Griso and a VMAX. I'd really been set on the Triple and then I came across an opportunity to buy a ve clean 2007 Super Duke for the exact same price as a very clean 2009 Speed Triple. The SD has a ton of great upgrades and the S3 only a few but overall they are both in superb shape. Both are all black which is my favorite as well.

I'm very familiar with the S3, having owned one and borrowed one for the day earlier this week. I love it overall but it is a bit compact for my frame - that's what gave me pause choosing it over the Griso.

I've never ridden a Duke but will be doing so tomorrow morning. I should be able to make my decision based on the ride, but I could use a little more of your input.

This will make e fourth bike I buy based on feedback from this site. Not sure if that's good or bad lol.
Tilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #2
Gren
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I nearly bought a SD before my S3 but the biggest thing that put me off was the tank range if u go for the early model u'll be lucky to get 80miles before the light comes on.... and then 20miles on the light which is a joke and the new bike has a slightly bigger tank not by much but does eek it out to a 100miles before the light comes on and then the usual 20miles with the light but if ur not bothered by fuel stops all the time then go for it, but for me the S3 (1050) is the better bike I get at least 145miles before the light comes on and 30miles on the light and the triple engine wot a stunner it never fails to put a smile on my face stunning bike....nuff said...

Keep it simple.......stupid..!!
Gren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
Ton Up
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Speed 3

I have an 09 Speed Triple in black and it's one of the best and funnest bikes i've ever owned. Especially suited for the skilled rider in the mountains- where i've done most of my miles on this bike. Cost effective, reliable and easy to own. I've even set mine up and toured on it a touch- to vermont one year, pennsylvania the next. I'm a 25 year riding veteran and open to all brands. Email me for more info as you like. I had a longer post with some more info in it for you but somehow just lost it while trying to post first time

Cheers
Ton Up
Ton Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #4
XFanMan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
I'm 6'2" and about the same weight as you. I own an 08 SDR and a couple of Triumphs. My KTM is the most comfortable bike I own ergonomically but fueling is a real PITA on it. If you're seriously considering the SD make sure you're able to take it out for a long ride before you commit. They can be sorted but the surging/snatchy throttle on these bikes is legendary.

Conversely the S3 is more compact but that triple engine is just an incredible all around engine. If they could stuff a 1050 Triumph Triple into my KTM SDR it would be the perfect bike
Old 08-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
Mike in Oregon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Hey there Tilter. Here is are my 2 cents. I owned an 2007 Speed Triple and a 2005 KTM 950 Adventure and 2006 KTM 950 SM. First: No bike will fit all your needs. There will always be another that will do "x" better than your current ride. The Speed Triple has reliability, 70 ft/lbs of torque from 3 grand-on and sweet triple sound going for it. The Super Duke has better-more comfy-ergos for a tall guy, a "cammy" engine that has a kick in the seat when the revs increase. KTM's twin had more character to me and a sweet twin sound all it's own.
The KTM LC8 engines are a "little" more maintenance intensive, however you can find all you need from this site. One thing I really appreciate about the KTM: gear-to-chain driven cams, meaning to adjust the valves you do not have to mess with the cam chain like most bikes. The cams lift right off the engine with no cam chain loosening or fiddling with. If you do your own maint. you will appreciate this.

Both are terrific bikes, however I find the very linear power of triumph triples a little boring-just me

Oh yeah--if you decide to go Super Duke, I would recommend waiting for an '08--they have a black swing-arm-unlike prior year's silver.
Good luck!
Old 08-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #6
xshanex
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 894
it's a win either way. Rode a SD at a ktm event and loved everything about it except for the worst throttle surging fuel injection issues of any bike I've ridden.....the ktm rep said a reflash with new map fixes it. If it has a pipe then its probably already fixed. The SD made my S3 feel rather refined
xshanex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
Tilter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I rode the SD and a SPEED TRIPLE back to back and while I liked the SD I loved that Triple motor. The surging on the SD was awful and the sound from the Leo Vince cans kind of generic.

The SD was the most comfortable odor cycle I've ever sat on but e SD just had a lot more character.

I bought the Speed Triple and rode it the two hours back from Pittsburgh. It was awesome - thanks for all the advice.

Btw the super duke is on the Pittsburgh Craigslist and was in awesome condition. Asking price $6500 with less than 5000 miles and some nice upgrades. Guy was real cool too. I'll tell him about this forum so he can try to sell it here with the other Dukes.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #8
Mike in Oregon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Congrats Tilter. You made the best choice for you. Enjoy your kick-ass Speed 3.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:37 AM   #9
duxrneet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Phew! Finally a happy ending for this fella.

Now I wanna have a spin on a local 'Trip.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #10
pearsonm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I'm also a tall guy considering these two bikes. How tall are you? I'm 6'3" tall, weigh 215 lbs and have a 36" inseam.

The Speed Triple fits me weird - I need the pegs to go forward and up to get my knees into the tank cutouts (typically my knees tower over the top of the tank). I remember sitting on a Superduke thinking it felt like a comfortable pair of jeans, but that was several years ago. I don't have a street KTM dealer locally so parts and maintenance concerns me.
Bikeology: Z1000 (sold); F4i #2 (sold); SV650 (sold); CB750F (sold); DR-Z400SM (traded); SV650S (sold); F4i #1 (RIP); R6 (traded); YZF600R (sold); ZR-7S (sold); Bandit 1200 (RIP)
pearsonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #11
Tilter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Super duke was extremely comfortable - way more comfy than the 2009 speed triple I ended up going with. Prolly part of the reason why I switched to a 2012 speed triple just a few weeks later. I have to say the new style stripe is just as comfortable as the duke without the awful surfing that the one I rode had. Funny thing though I would have ended up buying that super duke I test rode except the guy got pissed off when I told him I'd have to think about. Ah we'll - I'm ecstatic with my new one. Now trying to decide if I need am exhaust or not.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #12
pearsonm
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilter View Post
I have to say the new style stripe is just as comfortable as the duke without the awful surfing that the one I rode had.
When you say 'the new style', that's '11 to current, correct? The previous generation is '05-'10?

I'm having a hard time with my decision. I come from a long line of Japanese sportbikes but I'm burned out on equipment that doesn't fit. Problem is I've got to step up to a Euro trash bike which pretty much doubles the price of most of my previous bikes. Then I still have to spend money to get the suspension re-sprung and re-valved.

Oh, and you definitely need an exhaust. (Just trying to help.)
Bikeology: Z1000 (sold); F4i #2 (sold); SV650 (sold); CB750F (sold); DR-Z400SM (traded); SV650S (sold); F4i #1 (RIP); R6 (traded); YZF600R (sold); ZR-7S (sold); Bandit 1200 (RIP)
Old 10-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #13
Tilter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearsonm View Post
When you say 'the new style', that's '11 to current, correct? The previous generation is '05-'10?

I'm having a hard time with my decision. I come from a long line of Japanese sportbikes but I'm burned out on equipment that doesn't fit. Problem is I've got to step up to a Euro trash bike which pretty much doubles the price of most of my previous bikes. Then I still have to spend money to get the suspension re-sprung and re-valved.

Oh, and you definitely need an exhaust. (Just trying to help.)
Yes 11 a current. I thought the 09 far prettier, but the 12 far more functional.

That said if you are looking for something absolutely brilliant that you can fond for a song that would be a moto guzzi griso. If youre interested - and you should be - I know of someone with a superbly set up one with very low miles.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #14
pearsonm
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilter View Post
That said if you are looking for something absolutely brilliant that you can fond for a song that would be a moto guzzi griso. If youre interested - and you should be - I know of someone with a superbly set up one with very low miles.
I really haven't researched that one. Let me look into it. One requirement is I have to be able to do some track days on it.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #15
Tilter OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearsonm View Post
I really haven't researched that one. Let me look into it. One requirement is I have to be able to do some track days on it.
You can definitely take it to the track although its not a sport bike. There is an 1100 and a 1200 in 2009 and after. The 1200 has more horsepower but the 1100 has a really great powerband and you can find them cheap. I rode one and fell in love and i really miss it.