Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2010, 09:59 AM   #16
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,394
very nice, I like it a lot - but I too am an old fart and I like some wind protection and the ability to carry things. I ride about 20k a year, and I am planning a trip west this summer. I think my V-Strom is still a better choice for me - but I hope Big K sells a ton of Z-1000's
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:13 AM   #17
av phil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
The ZRX only has 35K, On her Thanks.
av phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #18
cyberdos OP
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 25,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by av phil
The ZRX only has 35K, On her Thanks.
still. was a beaut.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:41 AM   #19
gautam
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Thanks for the nice review. Its on my wishlist when i have enought money in indian rupees
gautam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:57 AM   #20
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos
Naked bikes with lack of front fairings are not meant to be ridden for long droning periods of highway miles. Sure , it can be done but, why?

well, why not?!
I ride a KTM 950SE which is as naked as nakeds come (identical wind blast with the SMR). Its perfectly comfortable doing an indicated 90 all day long with a small screen and a tankbag, which is more or less your average speed on long highway trips. I am pretty sure that the new Z can strech that to 100. Aerodynamic design of lately is pretty impressive. Consider also the multiplying speed cameras and I think that bikes like this do start making a lot of sense for 1up touring duty.

Z or T(riple), this is the question!
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:58 AM   #21
arshishb
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
For some odd reason this bike has completely eliminated my lust for a Ducati Streetfighter.

Cyberdos, if you ridden both bikes, can you provide an opinion? The fact that the damn thing is $5K less than the cheapest Streetfighter is mighty appealing.
arshishb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:50 PM   #22
cyberdos OP
Easy Bonus Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb
For some odd reason this bike has completely eliminated my lust for a Ducati Streetfighter.

Cyberdos, if you ridden both bikes, can you provide an opinion? The fact that the damn thing is $5K less than the cheapest Streetfighter is mighty appealing.
never ridden the Duc. (not really a fan)

Anybody want to lend me one so I can compare?
Old 02-17-2010, 01:05 PM   #23
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Sounds great. I too have found properly setup naked bikes to be ideal tourers - wind "protection" is much overrated and often makes matters worse by causing turbulence. I can't say this has really quelled my duc SF or MTS lust, but I don't know of another affordable 4-cyl bike I'd prefer.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #24
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,904
Quote:
never ridden the Duc. (not really a fan)

Anybody want to lend me one so I can compare?

Here ya go. Go nuts.

Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #25
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDogAlberta
Once again for me, as with so many modern machines, the exhaust system has simply got to go although I'm not sure how well that can be done given the integration with lower bodywork.
It can be done well enough, Akrapovic already have a system for the new Z1000 - do a search on youtube and you'll find some clips. Supposedly with the full system you lose almost 1o kilos but as usual for Akra, it isn't cheap! I've had entire bikes (and cars) worth less than what they ask for a couple of tubes :)
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:01 PM   #26
TX Ryder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Great review. It's just further whetting my appetite for a Z1000.

I'm already making plans on selling my '03 Sprint ST, mount some hardcases on my '08 Bandit for sport-touring duty, and then buy the Zed to terrorize the curvy stuff. Some great roads await in the Texas Hill Country (300 miles from me) and North Central Arkansas (400 miles). I want the Pearl White model, but am gonna recover the pillon seat in black.

My only nit is the smallish fuel tank (4 gallons is kinda light), but it'd be worth the extra gas stops. I read the tank is steel (correct?) and so can take magnetic tankbags. All I need is the tankbag and a decent sized tailpack (how's the Z rear seat looking for mounting one?) and I'm set for a multi-day ride weekend.

TX Ryder screwed with this post 02-20-2010 at 10:13 AM
TX Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:12 PM   #27
pjm204
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,975
My last bike was an '05 Z750S....what a great bike. The fuel injection was spot on. I just loved the way it delivered power, very linear. Now I'm on a VFR which I also like but sometimes I wish I had stuck with the Z.....I've considered selling the VFR and buying a used Z1000.

Nice bike.
pjm204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #28
cyberdos OP
Easy Bonus Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Ryder

My only nit is the smallish fuel tank (4 gallons is kinda light), but it'd be worth the extra gas stops. I read the tank is steel (correct?) and so can take magnetic tankbags.
The tank. yes it's not plastic like most of the late model ZX's. I really liked the shape of the tank. if you notice on some of the shots from the back, the tank is really narrow towards the crotch then gets real fat toward the front. extremely comfortable. When I ride on the highway on my DR the wind and lack of protection around the legs makes it hard to ride. Not the case at all with this bike. I agree that a 4 gal tank is kinda light for touring. if this bike catches on, that may be something they may need to address in future models.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:26 PM   #29
cyberdos OP
Easy Bonus Loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjm204
My last bike was an '05 Z750S....what a great bike. The fuel injection was spot on. I just loved the way it delivered power, very linear. Now I'm on a VFR which I also like but sometimes I wish I had stuck with the Z.....I've considered selling the VFR and buying a used Z1000.

Nice bike.
sheeat. If you liked the power delivery of the 750s (which I've also ridden many times) this Z eats the 750 for breakfast.

My current bike is a 95 VFR. I love it and I wouldn't say I'd replace it with the Z. But I'd sure like to give it some company in the garage right now.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:50 PM   #30
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,187
Quote:
That was exactly my thought as well. I think this one is much more friendly than the duke. Even though it is heavier than the duke it feels really nimble. Plus a couple pound advantage for riding on the highway is actually not a bad thing.
No bad thang at all. The japs do the I4 naked/sport stuff very well indeed. In fact, much better than they ever do the big ADV bike. Kawasaki have really played to the heritage and strengths of the Z1000. Good for them.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote