http://www.kawasaki.co.uk/Objects/w4...40D14EDFF9.jpg

for Z1000 windscreen.
ktmMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:05 PM   #77
ktmMike
roadscout

Oddometer: 1,224
A Z1000 fuel injection question for you electronics gurus:

Cycle World says the 2010 Z1000 has no Oxygen sensor.
Is that a problem for trying to connect/use a tuning device such as a
powercommander or the like, particularly when retuning after
installing a different exhaust system maybe???

(Sorry, I'm a carburetor guy just trying to learn before buying.
Any education on this subject will be GREATLY appreciated!)

Am I asking this in the wrong forum?
Old 02-20-2010, 08:18 PM   #78
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfurf
Who says the Z hasn't caught on? Supposedly it's one of Europe's best sellers. I would bet that Kawasaki has sold WAY more Z1000s than Aprilia has Tuonos.

Personally I dig both of them, though I've only ridden a friend's 2008 Z1000 and was impressed.
...I hope you are not comparing a Tuono with a Z1000 last year model, different price tags based on different components etc.. Btw, I am not against Kawasaki, I own one and I am very happy with her. But a Tuono is the reference of naked /street fighters!!! Yes I own one too, I am a lucky guy.
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Vette, unmolested...
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:18 AM   #79
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmMike
A Z1000 fuel injection question for you electronics gurus:

Cycle World says the 2010 Z1000 has no Oxygen sensor.
Is that a problem for trying to connect/use a tuning device such as a
powercommander or the like, particularly when retuning after
installing a different exhaust system maybe???

(Sorry, I'm a carburetor guy just trying to learn before buying.
Any education on this subject will be GREATLY appreciated!)

Am I asking this in the wrong forum?

Not a problem at all. When you connect a power commander type of tuner you have to disconnect the lamda in the first place anyway.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:06 AM   #80
AirForceDirt
"Give me back my face!!"

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas
Not a problem at all. When you connect a power commander type of tuner you have to disconnect the lamda in the first place anyway.
You only disconnect it long enough to plug the Power Commander inline with the O2 sensor. It still uses all the sensors and electronics of the original ECU, it just overrides most of it.

I'm sure PC will make one for the new Z1000 that will work, just give them a little bit of time.
DISCLAIMER: I do not represent the views of the United States Air Force, The Department of Defense, or any Agency alfiliated with the U.S government. Anything I say/post is my own thoughts and opinions unless referenced factual evidence.
AirForceDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #81
ktmMike
roadscout

Oddometer: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceDirt
You only disconnect it long enough to plug the Power Commander inline with the O2 sensor. It still uses all the sensors and electronics of the original ECU, it just overrides most of it.

I'm sure PC will make one for the new Z1000 that will work, just give them a little bit of time.
Thanx Airforce

Old 02-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #82
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirForceDirt

Ermmm....Nope!
You 'throw it away' kind of disconnection. In its place you plug a resistor. The intake sensors are used as normal. The PC lives between the ecu and the injectors.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:36 PM   #83
TX Ryder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix
I know! These 'modern' displays shit me beyond belief, especially when the instrument cluster ends up not only being hard to read and with all the aesthetic appeal of a cheap stereo but is not even that comprehensive - it STILL lacks the gear indicator, or even engine temperature indicator, as far as I can see. So what's the f**** point?!?

Some people would say it's a small thing and I honestly wish I could be one of them. But as it is, this really is a deal breaker for me - after all, the dash is the one part of my bike I'll be seeing all the time.
The instrument package is not a deal breaker for me, but I agree with your opinion. I way prefer an analog tach (digital speedo is OK). A gear indicator is an extra I can live without, but a temp gauge on a liquid cooled motor should be a standard feature. My '08 Bandit also lacks it, my son's '07 FZ-1 has one (albeit a small one).
TX Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:17 PM   #84
AirForceDirt
"Give me back my face!!"

Oddometer: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas
Ermmm....Nope!
You 'throw it away' kind of disconnection. In its place you plug a resistor. The intake sensors are used as normal. The PC lives between the ecu and the injectors.
I don't know which PC you're looking at, but the PC3 for my 1150R comes with a new O2 sensor, so it does still use one, just not the crappy narrow band stock one.

It looks like, from PC's website, they already have one for the new Z1000. Doesn't require an O2 Sensor.
DISCLAIMER: I do not represent the views of the United States Air Force, The Department of Defense, or any Agency alfiliated with the U.S government. Anything I say/post is my own thoughts and opinions unless referenced factual evidence.
AirForceDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:29 AM   #85
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,140
The most important question....
When did you upgrade from your purple `Stitch?
Looks like a great ride, and you did a great job with a real world writeup.
RichBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:12 PM   #86
TX Ryder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
I got a 3D look at the new Z1000 at a local dealership. It does look better in person than in photos. Also got a chance to take a seat on it, but no demo ride. Still looking for that opportunity.

I like it. The Zed doesn't look as Transformer'ish to my eye in person. Lots of angles and sharp lines, to be sure. I don't care much for the plastic pieces hiding the USD fork. The bottom sections look easy to remove, the tops look more problematic. The bottom fairing piece will be easy to take off, I'm interested to see what that'll look like.

The shock location is really cool. It's mounted off center making it closer to the right side of the bike. Much easier access for adjusting.

The bike didn't have a battery installed so I didn't to see the digital instrument pod lit up. The angle adjustment in very simple/easy. I'd still prefer an analog tach. And I'd rather have a temp gauge than a clock.

The seat is 32", but narrow. So no difficulty in my flat-footing it at 5-9. I liked the ergos behind the handlear, which falls very naturally into my hands. Plenty of room under the tank for my knees when my feet are on the pegs.

The chain adjuster is an eccentric type, making adjustment simpler. But because of that I'm not sure a Lift-N-Lube stand can be fitted to help lube the chain.

The location of the oil filter will make oil changes a breeze (unlike my Bandit 1250). And there seems to be a good amount of space around the engine bay for access.

A major aesthetic nit is the white rear pillon seat found on the white/orange model (the one I'll get if I get the new Z). That's gotta go. I asked about ordering a black one from Kawasaki and was told that it shouldn't be a problem.

The mechanism for attaching the windscreen will make it easy to replace once ZG, Puig, or MRA start making a windscreen for the new Z.

Again, I like it. Now I just need to scare me up a demo ride .

TX Ryder screwed with this post 02-26-2010 at 08:18 PM
TX Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:10 AM   #87
cyberdos OP
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 25,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Ryder

The bike didn't have a battery installed so I didn't to see the digital instrument pod lit up. The angle adjustment in very simple/easy. I'd still prefer an analog tach. And I'd rather have a temp gauge than a clock.
The tach (like all of Kawi's other digital models) is hard to read. I don't know why they've stubbornly held on to that feature. Analog tach and digital spedo would work just fine. I should've paid more attention but I hardly ever look at my cluster. I've always ridden and shifted with the feel of the bike so a shift light would be useless. Temp and oil is a different story.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:23 AM   #88
ferrix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Ryder
And I'd rather have a temp gauge than a clock.
I'd rather have both. It would be no problem to fit them both on this display and there'd still be plenty of room for the gear indicator, too!

By the way, I don't know if it's the same for you in the US, but the clock is so important to many because here in Oz (and in Europe, I believe) there are many speed limits that are time-dependent, in particular school zones - at 8:29am the speed limit might be still 60km/hr but at 8:30am it suddenly becomes 40km/hr, and school zones often come with a speed camera attached. Getting caught while going 20km/hr over the speed limit can easily make a difference between riding and catching public transport for a long, long time!
That's why we *really* like to have clocks included in our instrumentation.
ferrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:55 AM   #89
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix
I'd rather have both. It would be no problem to fit them both on this display and there'd still be plenty of room for the gear indicator, too!

By the way, I don't know if it's the same for you in the US, but the clock is so important to many because here in Oz (and in Europe, I believe) there are many speed limits that are time-dependent, in particular school zones - at 8:29am the speed limit might be still 60km/hr but at 8:30am it suddenly becomes 40km/hr, and school zones often come with a speed camera attached. Getting caught while going 20km/hr over the speed limit can easily make a difference between riding and catching public transport for a long, long time!
That's why we *really* like to have clocks included in our instrumentation.
We have the speed zones, just not the cameras for the most part.

I would think that a little handlebar or brake resivior mounted clock would solve that issue.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #90
cyberdos OP
Easy Bonus Loop

Oddometer: 25,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by arshishb
Wish there was no music :( Would have liked to hear the engine instead.
So I spoke with Tammy about this and here's what she got back to me with:
Quote:
For those asking for video with engine sound, here are two. They aren’t the greatest quality. The video definitely sucks due to the angle of the camera. If I was going fast enough to get any engine sound, I was also leaned in some, which ruins the view. There is some wind noise, a lot actually. But you can hear the engine a little.
Short clip

Long clip