Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #91
ktmMike
Coordinator

Oddometer: 1,214
Laugh Test Ride

Well, I got to test ride the new 2010 Z1000
(and a 2009 FZ1) at a local dealership last Friday.
It was the white and orange one.
It looked better in the pictures.
They didn't have a black one,
but I hope the black one looks better in person.
Huge power. Huge torque. Very smooth. Stiff suspension as set up.
I got to ride it on back streets of a town and a little
bit of overcrowded interstate. No twisties right there, so I could just only tell so much about the handling.
It accelerates to 100 indicated in a very short distance.
I was not impressed with all that flimsy plastic along the sides which house the overflow bottle, intake vents, and turnsignals
(I would have to redo all that. I've been looking at aluminum overflow bottles online today).
The exhaust system . . . we all replace them anyway, don't we.
And Two brothers is working on a new and improved juice box for it.
ktmMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 03:12 PM   #92
Offblnz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,415
Thanks so much for the write-up Cyber

I have no clue as to why I let this slip for so long, since the Z1000 always was one of those dream machines to me. Maybe I didn't fancy the design trend of "Plastic, plastic, we need more plastic!" It seems lazy to me, like they don't want to clean up the engines so we have something mechanically beuatiful to look at instead of that damn plastic. I do think this new Z looks good, can't wait to see it in black.
And if I may say so, Sir, you are one lucky bastard and fabulous pics from the inside of their racing unit Not envious at all, nope, not at all!
Offblnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:06 PM   #93
cyberdos OP
Banned

Oddometer: 22,073
I has looking through some of my stuff and I ran into a flash drive that they gave me that day. I totally forgot about it. Much to my surprise it had some bike specs and best of all great pics. Check em out.

cyberdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #94
cyberdos OP
Banned

Old 07-08-2010, 06:18 AM   #95
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by olie
...I hope you are not comparing a Tuono with a Z1000 last year model, different price tags based on different components etc.. Btw, I am not against Kawasaki, I own one and I am very happy with her. But a Tuono is the reference of naked /street fighters!!! Yes I own one too, I am a lucky guy.
Another Aprilla owner trying to justify the money he/she spent.

Something that sounds like a bucket of bolts when it runs is not exactly the standard for other naked bikes to be judged by, IMO. You can take solice in the fact that the Tuono is relativley unique compared to most bikes. Congratulations, you have a conversation piece/novelty bike that people will talk to you about wherever you go, but to say it's the 'reference of naked/ street fighters' is clearly hyperbole.

People who spend a premium for a brand names like Aprilla, Ducati or BMW do it because they think it makes them special somewhow. Happy maintenance intervals! You will truly set yourself apart from Zed owners with those
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:38 AM   #96
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38
Another Aprilla owner trying to justify the money he/she spent.

Something that sounds like a bucket of bolts when it runs is not exactly the standard for other naked bikes to be judged by, IMO.
...a bucket of bolts? The Rotax engine is very reliable.

Listen to this then! I can't here any bolts...Just pure soulfull vtwin thunder. Something a Z owner can only dream of!

Tuono Akrapovic from Rote Eddie on Vimeo.

12' KTM 690 Enduro R Evo2
RoteEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:17 AM   #97
rajflyboy
Banned

Oddometer: 2,043
Z1000 is a sweet machine. No doubt about it.

The problem is the price. Its over the 10,000 dollar point (therefore I'd never buy one).

I had an 04 Z1000 that I really enjoyed. Sounds like they have fixed the problems with the old bike with this new and improved version.

Its over priced for what it is. I wonder how sales are going so far?
rajflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:28 AM   #98
Porky
Don't Pass Gas

Oddometer: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrix
I know! These 'modern' displays shit me beyond belief, especially when the instrument cluster ends up not only being hard to read and with all the aesthetic appeal of a cheap stereo but is not even that comprehensive - it STILL lacks the gear indicator, or even engine temperature indicator, as far as I can see. So what's the f**** point?!?

Some people would say it's a small thing and I honestly wish I could be one of them. But as it is, this really is a deal breaker for me - after all, the dash is the one part of my bike I'll be seeing all the time.

I wish the instrument cluster had been a "deal breaker" for me as I bought a '10 Z1000 and discovered exactly what you said about it being hard to read and lacking a gear and temp indicator. There were other things I did not like about it (ergonomics) so got rid of it within 600 miles .

No fat chicks, fender will scrape.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #99
cyberdos OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porky
. There were other things I did not like about it (ergonomics) so got rid of it within 600 miles .
Really? The ergos was one of the strong points for me. And I'm coming off a VFR. Every person's different.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #100
rauchman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Greetings,

I currently ride a 2007 SV1KS that I've been thinking of replacing. My wife rides a 2003 Z1000. I've taken it for a spin a few times and LOVE it.

Recently came across a used 2007 Z1000 that I'm interested in. Any idea how the 2007 compares to the newer model?
rauchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #101
cyberdos OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rauchman
Greetings,

I currently ride a 2007 SV1KS that I've been thinking of replacing. My wife rides a 2003 Z1000. I've taken it for a spin a few times and LOVE it.

Recently came across a used 2007 Z1000 that I'm interested in. Any idea how the 2007 compares to the newer model?
One of the guys that was with me had an older model Z. Can t remember what year but he was telling us that it was night and day. Much more torque than the older models and better response overall. I'll see if I can dig up his email from somewhere and have him post his own opinion here.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #102
pearsonm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
I'm 6'3" tall, weigh 215 lbs and have a 36" inseam. After years of curling up on Japanese race replicas, including the past 4-5 at track days, I've had enough.

I’ve all but decided on the Speed Triple. The latest Z1000 is probably my last bike to compare. Can anyone out there close to my dimensions comment on the riding position of the Z?
Bikeology: Z1000 (sold); F4i #2 (sold); SV650 (sold); CB750F (sold); DR-Z400SM (traded); SV650S (sold); F4i #1 (RIP); R6 (traded); YZF600R (sold); ZR-7S (sold); Bandit 1200 (RIP)
pearsonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #103
sargev55
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdos View Post
I has looking through some of my stuff and I ran into a flash drive that they gave me that day. I totally forgot about it. Much to my surprise it had some bike specs and best of all great pics. Check em out.

i would add some air filters to the itb's and put some old school looking seat on it and ride it as is.
Bladez Moby-S goped thingy. 35cc of whoop ass!
sargev55 is offline   Reply With Quote