ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-17-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
TowPro OP
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,004
Printing paper route sheets

I know this is not about GPS's, but it is related. I run with 2 different GPS devices, but I still am thinking of using a backup paper route sheet. I rode enduros with them for years so I know how to work them .

How can I print a route sheet?
I have done it the old way (in word) and I use a paper cutter to cut them down to fit in my route sheet holder, then tape them all together.

I am looking for a way I can print onto adding machine paper. I know my canon photo printer has a custom paper size and I can use continues. I might also figure out a way to feed this into my HP laser.

Topo 8 has a way I can print just the turns, but I did'nt look into it that far. I think Mapsource might also have this ability.

How do you do it? I am trying to get away from having to use the paper cutter,and if I can get continues feed to work, I will not have tape seams failing as I ride down the roads.

Thanks ahead of time.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:25 PM   #2
TowPro OP
Getting there

I figured it out in Topo8

Go into print tab, click route, check Directions, Over on Right side of picture of floppy is button for "copy to clip board". I then put it into text doc, which I then opened with Excel. I removed columns I don't want, I change some words to make then shoter (like turn right to ->, etc.)

Now I need to get some adding machine paper to see if I can print it.
Laser might be more water proof.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,047
There is a company that sells waterproof paper. Strangely enough this is their url:

http://www.waterproof-paper.com/laser-paper.shtml

kinda pricey though

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #4
TowPro OP
Getting there

Thanks. 50c per piece!

I am heading out to get some adding machine paper (2.25" wide) to see if I can get it to feed through either my inkjet or hopefully the HP laser jet.

the problem is the print drivers both let you pick custom size, and set it to 2.25" wide paper, but they all have a limit on the length. I might still end up splicing the route sheets.

I think I will be OK with standard paper. I have used jart charts in some nasty weather. My route sheet holder is pretty much weather proof. The only time I had problems was when I loaded the jart chart the night before and left it mounted to the bike. The nighttime dew got to it. You get a couple miles into the event and the paper tears

I was looking at "point of sale" printers today. Maybe I will keep my eyes open for one of them on the cheep.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
c.vestal
Rally On

Oddometer: 4,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro
Thanks. 50c per piece!

I am heading out to get some adding machine paper (2.25" wide) to see if I can get it to feed through either my inkjet or hopefully the HP laser jet.

the problem is the print drivers both let you pick custom size, and set it to 2.25" wide paper, but they all have a limit on the length. I might still end up splicing the route sheets.

I think I will be OK with standard paper. I have used jart charts in some nasty weather. My route sheet holder is pretty much weather proof. The only time I had problems was when I loaded the jart chart the night before and left it mounted to the bike. The nighttime dew got to it. You get a couple miles into the event and the paper tears

I was looking at "point of sale" printers today. Maybe I will keep my eyes open for one of them on the cheep.
Some of the older Epson Pro printers came with small a roll holder and drivers that support very long prints. I had a 2200 that came with a holder. You can still find them cheap.
c.vestal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:59 AM   #6
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,863
If your really want to do it, get a thermal cash register printer. With the right coaxing, you can get it to do what you want.

Still can be a bit flaky coming out of something like Word or Excel, but after a bit of playing I got mine to work well to print multiple rolls for group rides.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:18 AM   #7
TowPro OP
Getting there

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave
If your really want to do it, get a thermal cash register printer. With the right coaxing, you can get it to do what you want.

Still can be a bit flaky coming out of something like Word or Excel, but after a bit of playing I got mine to work well to print multiple rolls for group rides.

I was afraid the thermal paper would turn dark from sun, but I guess it only has to last 1 day. One of my customers has a spare zebra thermal printer I can borrow. Thanks.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:49 AM   #8
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,284
I print mine on a common Epson tractor feed printer on fan fold paper. Cut them to 2 1/4" on a paper cutter then put a piece of scotch tape across each perf.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:50 AM   #9
William1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
When creating a route chart, I use 'banner' as the paper type.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:31 AM   #10
TowPro OP
Getting there

Thanks so far. I am heading out this morning to get some paper so I can try a couple things.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:57 PM   #11
9Dave
Bazinga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro
I was afraid the thermal paper would turn dark from sun, but I guess it only has to last 1 day. One of my customers has a spare zebra thermal printer I can borrow. Thanks.
It will darken over time (like weeks or more) but I haven't had any problems in the short term.

A DS club I belong to uses thermal exclusively. They used to do the tractor drive thing. Now they have a homespun database program that handles the thermal printer really well. I just jury rigged the one I have to print off of Word.

The beauty of the thermals is that they are really fast and clear.

dunno.....
Old 02-22-2010, 12:46 AM   #12
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
A DS club I belong to uses thermal exclusively. They used to do the tractor drive thing. Now they have a homespun database program that handles the thermal printer really well. I just jury rigged the one I have to print off of Word.

The beauty of the thermals is that they are really fast and clear.
They print their own for a DS ride? How many?

I print a 5 wide master and send to JART. He makes copies for about $1.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:33 AM   #13
9Dave
Bazinga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
They print their own for a DS ride? How many?

I print a 5 wide master and send to JART. He makes copies for about $1.
I dunno. 50+ X 2 days. Once you hve the equipment, printing the rollcharts just costs pennies.

They even made their own little rig to roll them up afterward. I just use a pen with a clip on it. Theirs is mo betta.

dunno.....
Old 02-22-2010, 06:39 AM   #14
TowPro OP
Getting there

I have been looking at lots of thermal printer specs over the weekend, they all seem to have a max length. Do you know what printer they are using?
I know these charts can run several feet.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #15
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I dunno. 50+ X 2 days. Once you hve the equipment, printing the rollcharts just costs pennies.

They even made their own little rig to roll them up afterward. I just use a pen with a clip on it. Theirs is mo betta.
Time is money, $60-$100 per hour for any business. JART fan folds them for flat storage or mailing.

I can see a club thing doing every thing they can to cut costs but for me way too much work. It is nice to be able to print more at sign up. I have run out at times and also wasted a lot of extra pre printed ones.