Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
trentdirt OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Question 07' 990 ADV chain guide failure?

Has anyone exreienced the loss of a chan guide ?Resulting in getting jammed in the front sprocket therefore locking up the drivetrain.It happened to me this last sunday on Skaggs spring rd(Sanoma co.NorCal)I entered a downhill right turn when my rearend locked up as I was already leaned in and I highsided resulting in Heli ride to the emergency room,with multiple fractures and a concusion.When I got home and did some looking around on ktm websites there it was!!!A recall on that chain guide.I bought the bike new in the beggining of 08' so I never recieved no recall.Should it have already been fixed brfore I bought it???Anyone with any legal advise???Rider down due to mechanical failure is not a good feeling!!!
trentdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
bkshovel
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Sooo, what's the recall all about? This is the first I've heard of it.
bkshovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #3
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,480
This was a pretty well talked about deal in the first 12-18 months of the 990. The fastener bolts that held the chain guide to the swingarm weren't tightened and also needed to be locktited.

The bikes ate a number of chainguides and caused a couple of pucker moments (but I think yours is the first fall I remember) before KTM put out the TSB.

General concensus was don't ride your 990 until you've had the TSB done or tightened/locktited the bolts yourself. I ask your dealer about it, and what else they may not have done for you before turning over the bike.

Brent

Here's the TSB (credit goes to CPmodem)

TB 0759:

Click on image for link

And here's the thread that started it all.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t=chain-slider

I don't have a 990 so I never paid a whole lot of attention to this (but I did check my 950), but it is interesting that the TSB states that "it is mandatory that you discontinue riding the motorcycle until the repair has been made".

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50

brents347 screwed with this post 02-17-2010 at 08:43 PM
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,888
Perhaps this? This picture is from a very good Ride Report by CoydogSF and Rubberneck.

From Track Dave and Dave
Old 02-18-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
trentdirt OP
Adventurer

I have that exact picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod
Perhaps this? This picture is from a very good Ride Report by CoydogSF and Rubberneck.

From Track Dave and Dave
Old 02-18-2010, 09:23 AM   #6
trentdirt OP
Adventurer

Pissed Thanks for the Info.!!!I have that same exact pic of the chain guide.

Thanks again for the reply and Info. you have given me.I maintain my own bikes pretty analy!And I have never seen or heard of a guide doing that,a chain yes.I was going to take my wife that day(Valentines day)but she decided she did not want to go.Good thing hu?Something as simple as a piece of plastic could of cost me my life and my kids with no Dad,Makes you think.Do you think Ktm should pay for my bike and broken bones?I'm not really "that guy"but on the other hand???Thanks for the Reach program!!!Not sure if everyone knows about Reach but fot $50 a year it covers me and my family.Probably saved me about $15,000.00.If you don't have it you should check it out.
Thanks again...
Old 02-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #7
trentdirt OP
Adventurer

The chain guide on the front of the swingarm.......

It is simple as a couple of drops of loctite on 2 bolts.I bought the bike new but it was almost 2 years old.Really good deal.I'm assuming the dealership would of got that recall and would of fixed it before I recieved it???
Old 02-18-2010, 09:42 AM   #8
DualSportSucker
El Nooberino

Oddometer: 144
KTM probably isn't liable

Wouldn't look to KTM if you're thinking lawsuit... they issued the service bulletin. The dealer should have performed all recommended updates prior to delivery. If it's been a couple of years, it may be a tough case to make whether they did or didn't... even loctite isn't forever.

Heal up fast!
2007 Kingpin (Sold)
2007 KLX "110" V3.0 (Sold)
2009 KX450F (Ridden regularly)
DualSportSucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #9
tcskibike2008
SnowHawker

Oddometer: 191
First I want to say that sucks and I hope you are feeling better but a lawsuit, thats a stretch for a bolt coming loose after 2 years. One would almost expect things like this to happen thats why a thorough check of all your fasteners is a must. It comes back to personally responsibility , something our culture has lost. You(We) are riding a motorcycle and risking our lives, a lawyer does no good when that fastener goes and you are in the middle of a big off.

Please don't take this personally not intended to call you out specifically more of a rant about personal responsibilities.

Now if this happened a couple weeks after a purchase or if a part just failed, like a broken BMW fork leg then a lawsuit may be warranted.

TonyC
tcskibike2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #10
1stiski
Ride that nasty thing

Oddometer: 1,584
Glad to hear you survived that crash, Too bad this had to happen., kind of scary, really scary.
"Grim Brother" #1
1stiski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #11
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,904
Man ...your a lucky guy.

this is totally out of your control when something like this happens, mine come loose and i could hear some thing, luckily i noticed and stopped to find it flapping bolt gone.
Guide across the chain.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:00 PM   #12
Dogtown
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 406
Chain Guide

Dude!

Sorry about your accident! I have the same bike and I know the roads you where on. I bought my 07 at Scuderia and they did the service to fasten the chain guard then. It was all over the "orange crush" at the time and I still check and re-lock tight those buggers every-so often. Thought about safety wiring it on and after your post I think thats exactly what I'm gunna do!

Hope you heal up soon! I'm in Marin so if ya get yourself and the bike fixed lets ride!

Cheers
Sean

Marin County To Cabo!
Dogtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:28 PM   #13
forrestrider
Dont Do Stupid Shit..

Oddometer: 1,734
When I got my 07 in 08, I saw the told the dealer about it and they said
(We check all safety notices and fix them.) The chain slider was the main thing on the list. and there was one other thing, But I cant think of what it was now. Well riding around 70 mph the bike jumped and I almost went down with less than 350 miles on it , it also caused the gear houseing to crack. dealer lied about fixing it. I also cought them in 3 other lies to me.
Ill post a pic as soon as i find it.
forrestrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #14
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestrider
When I got my 07 in 08, I saw the told the dealer about it and they said
(We check all safety notices and fix them.) The chain slider was the main thing on the list. and there was one other thing, But I cant think of what it was now. Well riding around 70 mph the bike jumped and I almost went down with less than 350 miles on it , it also caused the gear houseing to crack. dealer lied about fixing it. I also cought them in 3 other lies to me.
Ill post a pic as soon as i find it.
And in my opinion THIS type of story is a legal liability for the dealer. As for the OP, I believe he was trying to say that his bike sat NEW at the dealer for 2 years before he bought it. He has not mentioned how long he has had the bike or how many miles it has. If the bike is 6 months old and has less than a thousnad miles or so, than yes, the dealer probably has a level of liability.

EDIT. I see that the OP bought his bike new in early '08, so it is 2 years old. Probably outside the timeframe for being able to say whether or not the dealer did the recall.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #15
trentdirt OP
Adventurer

Pissed Totally agree

I do agree with what you said.The bike does have about 7k on it right now.Very well maintained.Just something I missed!Again it's just scary that a small piece of plastic can take you out so fast without any warning.And I'm not looking for a "big lawsuit"just sucks to get the short end of the stick.....thanks for your post well appreciated!