ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #121
idea man
Plate Spinner

Oddometer: 2,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdeaWife
Great questions! I'm hoping to wear my street stuff too....
Ummmmm, Unless you are holding out on me, you only have street gear.
To be fair, it is dual sport-y.
I think someone may be getting some knobbies for her birthday. Nothing says I love you like some fresh TKC-80's
[*]'06 1150 GSA Thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=375824[*]'06 1150 GSA SE Registry: http://www.ericsyn.com/2006bmwr1150gsadv.html[*]Great Ride North, Alaska/Yukon '09 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494846[/LIST]
idea man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:33 PM   #122
sector
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,874
Wear your street gear

I have both and have used both. The main difference is that you can get hot in street gear, but this is May and hopefully yours will vent just fine. A wet cotton hanky around the neck will do it too.

Idea Man, TKC 80's - a great gift!! Personally, switching to a knobby street tire like those is the way to go for this course. TKC-80's rock on the pavement, too.

sector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #123
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by idea man
Ummmmm, Unless you are holding out on me, you only have street gear.
To be fair, it is dual sport-y.
I think someone may be getting some knobbies for her birthday. Nothing says I love you like some fresh TKC-80's
Yup! go with the best DS tire on earth,, TKC's will do all of it except the extreme high speed stuff (that you won't need anyway), after all, they are only rated for 99 mph.

You chicks are doing the slow offroad stuff here aint'cha? so,,
might as well have dirt grippy tires that still perform really well on hard pavement.
Ask Sector how she likes hers on the F650,,,!

My 2 scents,,,like red cars, opinions, and assholes, everbody gots one.
I'm trying to stay the heck out of this thread, since it IS girls only,,but as to the tire choice,, I see no other for true dual sport performance. Shirley, they wear fast, so what,, get some, burn 'em up, have confidence that your tires are not a worrisome part of the adventure.
#1,,have fun!
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:18 AM   #124
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,606
This is what I will be wearing if it's cold/raining and I will have my mesh jacket along if it's warm/hot.

The mud covered boots are dual sport boots. As far as the helmet, I'll be using my road helmet. I won't be bringing my dirt gear.

I think each person will have different ideas about what will work best for them. Of course protection and comfort is key. For me all day in my heavy dirt boots doing this type of thing would get uncomfortable and I don't think we will be bashing trees and rocks so I'm going with the lighter boots.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:44 PM   #125
AKLiz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
I'm in! Called, reserved a rental bike and paid today :) I'm super-excited! I just bought a new lid for this season, and the husband pointed out that I could get a decent-yet-not-spendy offroad helmet (next winter, I'm hoping to try some frozen lake riding) and use that so as not to risk my brand new lid. Practical, the man is :) I'm probably going to wear my regular textile stuff and bring rain gear just in case.

Oooh I can't wait!!
AKLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:51 PM   #126
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

AKLiz, I'm glad you'll be able to make this. You're really going the distance to get here for this. That is totally cool.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:21 PM   #127
AKLiz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
Thanks Ladybug! There aren't any off-road schools up here (I guess they figure that everyone grows up riding dirt bikes), so I've been looking around for some good but not too advanced training. Katego let me know about this one, and I have enough miles for a free trip down to Seattle sooo... :)
AKLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:20 PM   #128
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Hmmmmmm are we going to get Katego in on this too? Kate? Come out and play - - - - -

We have another taker too - Maureen from BC will be joining us. Tbolt I'm sure you remember her she was at the Barnacle Bistro Grand opening with Sector, she rides the Guzzi. She'll be renting a bike for the weekend.

There are only 7 slots left. Whaaahooooooo, it's filling up nicely.

I have updated the IN list on post one with everyone's names and where they are coming from. If I missed anyone please let me know. Idea Wife, I could have sworn I had your name on the IN list but I must have used that invisible ink to type it with or the computer gremlins ate it because your name wasn't there. It is now - - - So sorry.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:36 PM   #129
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug0048
Hmmmmmm are we going to get Katego in on this too? Kate? Come out and play - - - - -

tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:42 PM   #130
katego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
I am a thinkin' on it. .

-k
Old 03-05-2010, 10:51 PM   #131
fitenfyr
Dirt is Good

Oddometer: 422
If you want to get a visual for gear purposes...you will be in a large grass field with some obstacles installed. A forested area with trees and a bit of rocky soil. Plus the street ride in on both Highway and 2 lane roads.
You will be on and off the bike throughout the day and when you are on the bike you will be doing a lot of standing and weight shift work.

Street gear will be fine, but keep in mind this is slow speed stuff, and you will be moving around on the bikes a lot.
I would bring some variable clothing even for May so that you can layer up or down and still be wearing protective clothing. You may fall down after all.

As for a dirt/street helmet. My .02 if you can bring a dirt lid I would. The lighter weight and more visibility will be nice when you are doing exercises.
This is all going to be relatively slow speed stuff and a dirt lid is perfect for it.
However you will do fine with a street lid also.

I would 100% recommend the sturdiest boots you have. Don't skimp here and bring something that you feel confident with in uneven terrain and provides good ankle/shin protection.

Bret is not in the office for a bit. He dared to take off and have some fun before the training season starts so don't be discouraged if you don't get a reply from him for a bit.
2005 F650GS
http://www.jasonstiffey.com
fitenfyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #132
katego
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
ok ok.... you wore me down. i just signed up!

not sure which bike i will bring. have the 1150GS which might be a little big for this, but it IS the one that i ride most. OR i could borrow my guy's '99 F650 (after making sure it is running well & has a good battery).

decisions decisions.

-k
Old 03-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #133
mytrook
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Oh I wish I could do this!! Stooooooooooooopid hospital/surgery bills this winter means nothing but gas and insurance for the bike this summer.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:07 PM   #134
Ladybug0048 OP
Bug Sister

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitenfyr
If you want to get a visual for gear purposes...you will be in a large grass field with some obstacles installed. A forested area with trees and a bit of rocky soil. Plus the street ride in on both Highway and 2 lane roads.
You will be on and off the bike throughout the day and when you are on the bike you will be doing a lot of standing and weight shift work.

Street gear will be fine, but keep in mind this is slow speed stuff, and you will be moving around on the bikes a lot.
I would bring some variable clothing even for May so that you can layer up or down and still be wearing protective clothing. You may fall down after all.

As for a dirt/street helmet. My .02 if you can bring a dirt lid I would. The lighter weight and more visibility will be nice when you are doing exercises.
This is all going to be relatively slow speed stuff and a dirt lid is perfect for it.
However you will do fine with a street lid also.

I would 100% recommend the sturdiest boots you have. Don't skimp here and bring something that you feel confident with in uneven terrain and provides good ankle/shin protection.

Bret is not in the office for a bit. He dared to take off and have some fun before the training season starts so don't be discouraged if you don't get a reply from him for a bit.
Thanks for the recommendation on riding gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katego
ok ok.... you wore me down. i just signed up!

not sure which bike i will bring. have the 1150GS which might be a little big for this, but it IS the one that i ride most. OR i could borrow my guy's '99 F650 (after making sure it is running well & has a good battery).

decisions decisions.

-k
Terrific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytrook
Oh I wish I could do this!! Stooooooooooooopid hospital/surgery bills this winter means nothing but gas and insurance for the bike this summer.
Wish you could be there. Hopefully we will see you soon at one of the local meet ups.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #135
NoPoChicken
CSMC

Oddometer: 1,079
You can add me to the In list.