ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #2176
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,936
Damn that sucks Eric. I love my GS and it's spare fuel bottles

I have died at that same intersaction on my Stella but it was for entirely different reasons; Italian designed, Indian produced electronics
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:22 AM   #2177
XC Rider
Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer: 2,846
Damn Eric, hell of an adventure; and it was CCCCCcccoooOOOooolllllllddd that night returning home after the party!

Glad it was only a gas issue; and look at it this way, what a helluva of story!

Thanks for sharing.
SpotWalla: WHERE IS XC RIDER!?
XC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:08 AM   #2178
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecubed View Post
So....WTF are you doing out after dark on a Lucas bike? You know the old saying....

"A gentleman never motors about at night without petrol".... or something like that.....

Sure, blame Skippii....you shoudda prayed with the "Jesus Prayer Squad"
Shit what am i doing on a Lucas bike anytime! It's been love hate since I got her. And yes I shoulda prayed right then and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Rider View Post
Damn Eric, hell of an adventure; and it was CCCCCcccoooOOOooolllllllddd that night returning home after the party!

Glad it was only a gas issue; and look at it this way, what a helluva of story!

Thanks for sharing.
I was damn cold especially in those low spots along the Potomac. I think though the cold is what made every detail of what happened so vivid in my memory, froze it there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBN View Post
Italian designed, Indian produced electronics
Brit electronics aren't much better!
Old 12-03-2012, 05:10 AM   #2179
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Beard View Post
I know most of those stations & they are usually open even late at night... Weird. Glad you made it home. Eventually.
I thought the same, usually open esp. on a Sat night.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:15 AM   #2180
ORexpat
Oregon Expatriate

Oddometer: 2,670
Otoh . . . .

. . . . a normal commute home wouldn't have provided such a memorable story!

I used to snow camp, climb, and ski-mountaineer, back in the olden days when men were men and sheep were nervous. I've been cold, but never colder than on a motorcycle in the right (wrong) conditions.

Now that I'm officially an old fart and camp curmudgeon, I have to say I really, no I mean really love heated gear and bikes that put out enough 'tron's to run it.

BTW, while the /5 is short on extra 'trons, the Dubya has enough to let me run some heated gear! Love it.

ORexpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #2181
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,729
Wow Eric. What a work out. You would rather push a Bonnie than ride a klr.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #2182
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post
Wow Eric. What a work out. You would rather push a Bonnie than ride a klr.
Have yet to need to push the KLR...shit I better start that praying ASAP
Old 12-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #2183
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 724
Hi all -
I figured I'd introduce myself - I live in NoVA and ride an '05 F650GS Dakar. It's my first bike - I took the MSF class in June and bought it in July. I always see quite a few riders in the area on adventure bikes so I may have run into one or more of you (hopefully just figuratively) at some point this year. So just saying hello - if you see a chick on a Dakar, feel free to wave, but no pointing or laughing
Old 12-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #2184
His Pistolship
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer: 395
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
Have yet to need to push the KLR...shit I better start that praying ASAP
Sorry to hear about that Eric. Funny story, glad you made it out alright.

Funny thing is, I pushed a KLR a mile through the Nutley exit of 66 on a cold sunday night in December last year because it ran out of gas. It died just as I exited the freeway heading westbound, but I still had a mile to go before I could really get off the freeway, as that exit has a collector system. I knew I had gas in the reserve so I turned my petcock to what I thought was reserve and cranked the battery dead to no avail. I thought something was really wrong so I got my phone out and took a look at the petcock - sure enough it was in the "off" position, not "res." The bike still had half a gallon in it but I nevertheless had to push it a mile just to get off the freeway.

Cars were whizzing by the whole time as I pushed the KLR in the dark. Crossing each individual exit while pushing a KLR was akin to trying to make it to the pasture fence in 9 seconds because a bull could do it 10. Fun times.

Anyway, I finally get off the freeway but still have a mile to my house. I thought I would try cranking the KLR one more time, and viola - it comes to life. Apparently pushing the KLR for a mile was enough to get a good charge to the battery. I rode directly to a gas station.

So what was my lesson learned? Don't leave church early to get Taco Bell, because you might need that gas.
His Pistolship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #2185
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCrider View Post
Have yet to need to push the KLR
Don't jinx yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blixa View Post
Hi all -
I figured I'd introduce myself - I live in NoVA and ride an '05 F650GS Dakar. It's my first bike - I took the MSF class in June and bought it in July. I always see quite a few riders in the area on adventure bikes so I may have run into one or more of you (hopefully just figuratively) at some point this year. So just saying hello - if you see a chick on a Dakar, feel free to wave, but no pointing or laughing
Welcome to ADV!
Lots of inmates in NOVA.
There is this thread, a NOVA weekend rides thread, and other miscellaneous BS threads that may interest you. Actually there is a lot more of the later...

Don't forget to check out the Tag-0-rama threads. You can discover a lot of new roads playing those games.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #2186
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by His Pistolship View Post

Cars were whizzing by the whole time as I pushed the KLR in the dark. Crossing each individual exit while pushing a KLR was akin to trying to make it to the pasture fence in 9 seconds because a bull could do it 10. Fun times.
Yikes! Glad you made it across the lanes without getting hit!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #2187
Dr. Beard
Cenosillicaphobiac

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Hi all -
Hi there.

My first bike was an 03 Dakar that I actually just sold a couple of weeks ago. Great bike.

As you can see from the recent pics, some of us crazies in the RLD get together from time to time. We have frequent/infrequent garage nights at my place in Alex. All are always welcome, so shoot me a PM if your interested in stopping by some time. We also do ride our bikes occasionally (well, the ones that are running anyway...).
1974 XL250 Street Tracker
2002 R1150GS White Whale
Dr. Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #2188
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post

Welcome to ADV!
Lots of inmates in NOVA.
There is this thread, a NOVA weekend rides thread, and other miscellaneous BS threads that may interest you. Actually there is a lot more of the later...

Don't forget to check out the Tag-0-rama threads. You can discover a lot of new roads playing those games.
Thanks! I'll make sure to check out those threads. I gotta figure out what these tag threads are all about. I've been a lurker on this one every so often but figured I should say hi for once and for all. You guys always seem to have something fun going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Beard View Post
Hi there.

My first bike was an 03 Dakar that I actually just sold a couple of weeks ago. Great bike.

As you can see from the recent pics, some of us crazies in the RLD get together from time to time. We have frequent/infrequent garage nights at my place in Alex. All are always welcome, so shoot me a PM if your interested in stopping by some time. We also do ride our bikes occasionally (well, the ones that are running anyway...).
Thanks for letting me know. Nice to hear there are local meets. I always welcome an opportunity to hear some riding advice and learn more about bikes. I'll definitely keep my eyes peeled.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:21 PM   #2189
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,729
Quote:
Hi all -
Welcome to the rabble... Keep an eye out for a hot red head on a white rallye GS. That is banshee..
Old 12-04-2012, 03:15 AM   #2190
gastone
R.I.P. sweet Angus

Oddometer: 2,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post
Welcome to the rabble... Keep an eye out for a hot red head on a white rallye GS. That is banshee..
Banshee...that's what it's gonna sound like if you hear her screaming by. You are probably not likely to see her. Zoom zoom.
VAC
You can bet your sweet ass and half a titty...
gastone is online now   Reply With Quote