Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
Vinduroman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 570
Farkle Suggestions

Hi Troops!

Looking to add some farkles to Honey Buns' bike as well as mine. She rides an '09 CRF230L, I ride a '12 WR250R.

First Farkle recommendation:

What is a good brand of heated grips that you have use-tested and you can recommend?

Thanks for any input!
Old 05-18-2014, 08:29 AM   #2
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,122
Charlie found some kinda of chinese brand of heat grips on Ebay real cheap, I think abt $15 or so..when I test rode his bike, they worked real good!

maybe he will chime in here and fill you in..
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:14 PM   #3
Vinduroman OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks Doc, but it looks like Charlie has gone silent. Oh well.

FWIW: May be putting a different bike under Honey Buns. Just had exposure to a Yamaha XT225 "Serow". It is about 30 pounds lighter than her CRF230L and sits just enough lower so that she can swing her leg over it without hanging up on the fender or having to keep the bike on the kickstand and use the foot peg like a horse saddle stirrup.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:39 AM   #4
terrascout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,612
I think you may find more alternative racks and such for the xt also. Sorry I can not help with the heated grip info, as I still have not acclimatized enough to need them yet. I am part way there as I have found taking a set of hand guards from a 990 adv and installing them on the DRZ help keep the hands warmer by providing more wind break. Of course a CRF or XT may need a thicker set of bars before those would fit well. I waved the other day as you train line was working north through Johnson. Didn't figure I would get one of your days at the controls though. I keep trying. Have a great day. Try reaching out to Teddy Courdin he is the king of heated gear.
terrascout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:32 AM   #5
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,443
Hi Vinduroman! I'd go to http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/ and look for heated grips. I've only added them to my last Yamaha and I used the factory Yamaha item and they were $$! I think you should be able to get a set under $100 from what I've read.

I need to add heated grips to the DR and the XT, our digits froze over the weekend at SLAP!

It sounds like the 230 is on the chopping block! I haven't ridden an XT225 but the wifes XT250 is amazing. It's definitely a confidence inspiring bike.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:44 AM   #6
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
Charlie found some kinda of chinese brand of heat grips on Ebay real cheap, I think abt $15 or so..when I test rode his bike, they worked real good!

maybe he will chime in here and fill you in..
Wow who knew you could get heat for $20! I've never used this type but it looks pretty simple.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...it?term=heated grips
Old 05-21-2014, 07:52 AM   #7
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,150
Here is the listing of HEATED GRIPS on Ebay. the ones I bought are the "plastic grips" they list. Price has gone up $5 but they include the potentiometer so you can change heat settings. The thing is even built in. They are plastic but I added grip puppies (foam covers) over the grips and they are perfect. Took only a week to get here and work perfectly. Make sure you search within ebay thoroughly, some are cheaper than others but are the same product. They only work on 7/8" bars.

They really get hot too!
TRZ Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:03 PM   #8
Vinduroman OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks everybody for your input! Got some great "start here" pointers.

As for the 230L: Great bike. Smooth power, good suspension (for Honey Buns style of riding), Honda reliability. It's just that it sits a bit high and the XT225 is nearly 30 pounds lighter, and more could be removed. The Honda's height could be addressed with a Kubalink, but not a lot can be done about the extra 30 pounds.

Just wish I'd known about the XT225 back when we made the decision to get Honey Buns a new bike. However, they were already out of production and thus didn't see any on the showroom floors.

May not happen... but then again, it may happen if I can find a nice XT225 at a good price.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:18 PM   #9
Vinduroman OP
Studly Adventurer

My, my, how quickly things change. We just got home with this:

Honey Buns loved it as soon as she took off on her test spin. Came back with an ear to ear smile. Heard these comments as she excitedly described what was important to her:

*I can almost sit flat footed!"

"I really can feel that it's a lot lighter!"

"I love the smooth power."

"I don't feel so top heavy when I'm riding it!" (Note: The CRF has the modern type "sitting on" feeling, this one has the older style "sitting in" feeling, which helps to keep your c/g lower.)

She's happy... so I'm happy.

Bottom line: There's gonna' be a low mileage '09 CRF230L that's gonna' be hitting the market soon!

V-man
Old 05-25-2014, 09:24 AM   #10
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,122
Awesome! Great find too!
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote