Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2010, 03:44 PM   #16
offroadan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I just received an Air Mesh Marathon and Air Mesh Pants. I have both the liners in in this mediocre photo. I haven't ridden with them yet. They fit snug right now. I have read that the air mesh will get softer with time. I suspect the fit will loosen up a bit but I don't have that first hand experience.

I did not get the cargo pockets on the jacket. The cargo pockets seem to add a lot of bulk and I figured I would put something in them that would end of injuring me.

Air Mesh Users, did your gear loosen up after some break in?
Attached Images

offroadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:33 PM   #17
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
For me it took about 6 to 9 months for it to loosen. Its still like chain mail but it bends and is easier to deal with now that it used to be. Also all of the pads are perfectly curved now. No more annoying straight pads .
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:42 PM   #18
offroadan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Thanks for the info TallRob. My wife thinks I'm crazy for wearing my new gear around the house to "break it in". Until the snow and ice is gone it looks like I'll keep up the crazy.
offroadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:45 AM   #19
kimel
I hit what?

Oddometer: 209
I'd suggest the suspenders on the pants for just about anyone but most especially for those of us who are a bit circumferentially challenged. Suspenders make wearing them "over-pants" much easier and, IMHO, more comfortable.
kimel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:48 AM   #20
worthydog
Shosholoza

Oddometer: 458
I have some stretch Kevlar pants from Motoport. They came super big and had to be sent back for adjustment. Now they are just really big. I look like MC Hammer. The build quality is excellent and I like that they are US made, but here is the real question:

Why are Motoport clothes so butt ugly? My God, look at the pictures in this thread! I accept that function beats form but these guys had a style bypass. Why dont they just rip off BMW or Revits designs?
worthydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 10:59 AM   #21
Phil Y
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
"No more annoying straight pads ." To speed up the process, I took out the pads and tied rubber bands around them for a couple of days. Good winter project. Knee/shin pad required two-way bend but most others merely needed to be more "well-rounded."
Old 12-22-2010, 12:50 PM   #22
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
I've had the Kevlar jeans for about a year and a half. The top part is a little tall so I have to pull them way up and use a belt to keep them in place above my hips. I don't really mind this though because I figure I'll be a little better protected in a get-off.

My knee armor rides low and that's always bothered me a bit since I'd kind of like it in the right place in the event that I need it. I'm in CA with a bike for the holidays so plan to ride down there next week and have Wayne move the knee armor up a bit.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:33 AM   #23
MitchNJ
Lets Ride!

Oddometer: 65
Motoport fit issue

Yea Motoport provides superior protection however it becomes useless if its uncomfortable or cut wrong. My jacket is a bit large but the shoulders are not cut proportionally to the rest of the jacket! It looks big but feels too tight around the shoulders!!! Wayne is a nice guy but after 2 attempts I'm getting the feeling he's not playing with a full deck of cards or doesn't really care! Last time I buy a jacket online.

Will see how he does this time.
Attached Images

MitchNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #24
TallRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,395
Buying online is always tricky with made to order clothing...Always best to send in your best fitting jeans and jacket so they can replicate the fit or go there in person for the ultimate perfect fit.
TallRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #25
HalB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Thumbs down

buying clothes online is like marrying a Russian Bride!

After the same research you guys did I went for the motoport pants. I thought I would start with the pants and if happy go for a jacket. I still don't have a jacket.

the plusses: the pants are very solid, appear well made, nothing cheap anywhere, solid construction. I got the quad armour and feel well protected. the stuff is stiff as heck, just short of chain mail, but over time it is getting quite comfortable enough given the heft and bulk.

the minuses: the fit. It has been a hassle. Wayne is a nice enough guy, but I followed his instructions to a T, sent in my own jeans and the pants I got back seemed like off the rack for a guy 6" taller. the knee pads topped at the bottom of my knee cap. I figure it's not just where the pad is riding, but where it is standing. Because if you have an off, your leg could be straight and then your knee pad is useless. I finally decided to have them re-fit where it made sense not according to Wayne's world. It cost me shipping and $75 to fix what should have been right in the first place. so so much for guarantee fit. My main beef is the pants look butt ugly off the bike (OK, I will live with it,I'm too old to care but vain enough to have liked something sexier). Maybe it is the quad armour which is extra thick relative to the regular tri-armour, but chunks of it are sticking out all over the place. you can see this in the pictures below. I have sent these to Wayne, but seem to get esoteric responses implying I don't know how to adjust velcro. Hey these are "custom fit". Maybe I need to cut chunks of the armour down. Any advice would be appreciated.

you can see when I sit on the bike, everything fits better into place, so maybe I shouldn't complain. Still it does not seem right that the top of the thigh armour is folding the fabric so much at the hip. you can see this in the picture.

Will I get the jacket? Not sure. What else is out there with this kind of quality, but looks prettier?

advice appreciated.
Attached Images

HalB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 04:20 PM   #26
HalB
Adventurer

more pix
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #27
HalB
Adventurer

looks ok riding
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2011, 04:23 PM   #28
HalB
Adventurer

it's the thigh fold at the hip that is annoying. also can see where I had the knee pad raised to, white markings.
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2011, 06:37 PM   #29
bsquarewi
wee-nie

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by worthydog View Post
Why are Motoport clothes so butt ugly? My God, look at the pictures in this thread! I accept that function beats form but these guys had a style bypass. Why dont they just rip off BMW or Revits designs?
The number one reason is that they focus on safety first and pretty much only. Their jackets are made with the priority of having the largest contiguious pieces of material with limited stitching. I've emailed Wayne a few times in the past asking if he could do a jacket like some other brands and pretty much every time he's pointed to the design having too many seams or small pieces of cuts which are failure points. Arerostich suits seem to take this same approach of less stitches, larger pieces of material and they aren't exactly blowing people away with their design either.

I personally love my Motoport Kevlar jeans but I will admit that I do have to basically force myself to wear them rather than throwing on a pair of Draggin Jeans.
bsquarewi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #30
inmate-n00b
Ciao, Marco

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsquarewi View Post
The number one reason is that they focus on safety first and pretty much only. Their jackets are made with the priority of having the largest contiguious pieces of material with limited stitching.
yup.....your gear is only good as its weakest link, many times the seams/stitching.
Plus, we don't all want to look like ewan and charlie
inmate-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote