User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2011, 04:38 PM   #31
CamoGreg
Can you see me?

Oddometer: 4,190
Received my Motoport gear on Friday.
Promptly took off on a 300 mile Saturday to try it out.

In the interest of science...here's a few pics today:

WTF? Is that self timer thing working......d'ohhh!

My previous favorite jacket:

Full Motoport suit:

Wayne seems to take a beating in here at times.
My experience so far has been exceptional.

Notes on my gear:

GPII jacket. Stock tri-armor in grey/black with the sleeves changed to black also. Right arm pocket added and liner.
Ultra II overpants. Stock tri-armor and liner. Cargo pockets removed.

First impressions: To reflect what many have said, the build quality is excellent.
The stretch fabric is different to anything I've ever wore...But it's cool and I like it.

I was prepared to spend a few bucks on gear this time around. I seriously considered BMW's Rallye 3 set-up.
Had I had a response to a few of my sizing questions in a timely manner, I may have bought BMW.

In the mean time, I read all I could on motoport.
I also have a few friends who own the gear and the answer to my usual question of "would you buy it again?" was a resounding YES!
Although many claimed they would steer clear of bright colors next time due to fading.

I currently own :
Hein Gericke leather jacket and pants.
First Gear Kilimanjaro and HT overpants.
Cortech GX Air jacket and pants.

Each of the above does well in it's designed climate range. But falls short as a multi climate touring set-up.
The Kilimanjaro/HT setup is good for cold weather.
The HG leather feels protective but very limited in temperature range.
My previous favorite was the GX Air with liners.
To be honest, I didn't ride in hot weather with protective pants...jeans only.
When touring, the GX Air with it's 2 additional liners, heated liner and packing the HT pants was my best option.

I'm happy with the fit of my Motoport gear. I rode for the first time Saturday. It was extremely comfortable.
I'm not a big fan of a 3/4 jacket. The GPII is ideal for me.
I also prefer an overpant. Once I get to a destination, I like the flexibility to quickly unzip and step out of my gear.

Two problems with overpants: 1, they're bulky. 2. they're usually hot.
Motoport has seemed to solve the hot problem. I'll take the bulky along with the protection.

As others have posted, I do feel very protected. I especially like the chest and rib protection of the jacket.
I once walked away from a 60mph deer hit mostly unscathed. But I did bruise my ribs. This jacket just felt good having armor there.

I rode in temps ranging from 70 - 88 on saturday. Pretty much ideal riding temps so not really much of a test in the extremes.
I will say that I was very comfortable. The gear fits well when seated on the bike. The stretch material seems to flow a good amount of air.
I'm sure I would have been hot wearing the HT pants.
The knee armor in both my HT and Air pants was never comfortable on the bike. There was always some type of pressure and on long trips, it was annoying.
The tri-armor was very comfortable. The knee was exactly where it should be.

High temps are coming to the Hell's Canyon area. I'll post up once I've been out in the hot. Cooler temps won't be here until fall, but I do ride at elevation often and sub-freezing temps aren't that uncommon crossing Lolo or the beartooth in the summer.

So far... I'm pleased. I spent a great deal of time measuring and re-measuring.
The fit is just right.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #32
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,314
Last May (2012) I ordered a Marathon stretch jacket and stretch over-pants.....the fit was great...especially the pants.I found out that the stretch jacket was a bit warm in the SW Ohio humidity SOOOOOOO,this past January (2013) I ordered a mesh Marathon jacket (received it on Feb. 1st....WOW!.) for the humid times and will use the stretch for the cooler fall/winter times.I also had Wayne shorten the sleeve length by 1.5" and the total front length by 2".This seems to fit a bit better....of course,were talking about two TOTALLY different types of material here!.I shortened the jacket length so it would not rub on the bike's seat or any other finish.....the mesh material is COARSE!. The fit is great....Wayne and company do a great job!......if anyone has any doubts about measuring,what they want the garments to llok like etc.....CALL them,they will stay on the phone with you and assist you in all ways!.
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote