Thumb Nice work!

Awesome! Keep up the good work!
Subscribed...

TFC
Old 02-25-2010, 06:55 PM   #17
LexTalionis
Inciteful

Oddometer: 428
Thanks for the entertainment and education, well done.

Lacking your expertise there is much of what you have done that is outside my abilities. However, for me, the first thing I'd have done would be to take a pressure washer to the bike once the tank and side panels were removed!

Lex
Old 02-25-2010, 07:32 PM   #18
handirifle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
Interesting build, you are definately making it your own! I have a suggestion, for the loss of low end grunt.

Take a page from sportbike design. The kawasaki Ninja uses a computer controlled baffle in the exhaust. The baffle is closed during the lower part of the RPM range, and opens as revs climb. This provides the needed back pressure at lower RPM's and opens for a more free flow during the top of the band.

You might look into the old baffle systems used on autos that were just off the manifold. those are crude, but might make an improvement. this same concept was addressed by 2 stroke bikes with the movable expansion chamber (muffler). It actually grew longer as RPMs climbed, allowing for more torgue at lower RPM's.
handirifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 09:30 PM   #19
Gustavo.Ramos OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexTalionis
However, for me, the first thing I'd have done would be to take a pressure washer to the bike once the tank and side panels were removed!
Heard that before

Quote:
Originally Posted by handirifle

I have a suggestion, for the loss of low end grunt.

Take a page from sportbike design. The kawasaki Ninja uses a computer controlled baffle in the exhaust. The baffle is closed during the lower part of the RPM range, and opens as revs climb. This provides the needed back pressure at lower RPM's and opens for a more free flow during the top of the band
Thought about that too, but the loss of low end is hardly noticeable. It's just *that* feeling, when you know your ride quite well! But if i run out of farkling ideias i'll do it! Like an EXUP valve!

Raid de L'Amitié 2011 RR (link)
690R
Gustavo.Ramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:06 AM   #20
Gustavo.Ramos OP
Studly Adventurer

First riding results

Bike is seriously high, i'm 6 foot tall and i'm having a hard time to keep balance at stand and while doing some very slow maneuvres. Suddenly i found there is this strange world of short legged people... already made me fall once and a few "almost...".

Fully fueled the extra weight is easily noticeable. Used to 13 liter fuel tank, now it goes with 28L. It's good the tank goes really low, that helps with center of gravity, but still weight is an issue.

Went for a ride in mud and sand, bike feels really strong, lots of torque, well balanced, grip is good, and the suspension works like a dream when compared to the stock POS.

The seat is absolutly GREAT ! i should burn the old stock DR seat.

The final transmition feels a bit short, i'm running 15-43, engine feels quite revvy in 5th gear.

Only one picture, we've had a sort of blizzard last weekend and it was windy, can't really tell that from the picture, but there was lots of sand in the air.

The little mug in the pic insisted on trying to bite me. Don't think he likes the color.

690R
Old 04-25-2010, 03:50 AM   #21
Gustavo.Ramos OP
Studly Adventurer

Finally managed to get the TM40 pumper carb on the DR.

The good'ole BST40 was just a bit tired

Hope to never need you again, your services are done.

welcome

First jetting session

It appears to be a tight fit.

I also took the opportunity to cut the top of the airbox, no pics here, but almost everybody already saw how it's done.

About the carb. The first rides were a bit strange, jetting wasn't nowhere near perfect and engine response was like... unpredictable. Weak response from idle and then a big kick that would pull up the front wheel.

Currently it has a 32,5 Pilot Jet and a 150 mainjet. Pilot screw is 1 turn out.

I've been doing extensive reading and regarding the jetting settings there are different opinions: some say a 32,5 pilot is too big, some say it is too small. For now im keeping the 32,5 as a middle solution, and will be playing with the main jet. Currently is a 150, prior was a 145.

After a bit of trial and error, riding is improving but still not perfect. Last ride, 800 kms or so, it averaged 7 L / 100kms, which makes like 34 mpg... not good! and riding was not fun enough to justify it. One interesting detail is that the plugs were right the color they should be, light tan, with no traces of a rich mixture.

I'm thinking there might be something related to the float level and sealing as i've seen it dropping fuel through the lower venting pipe.

Maybe the Mikuni mechanic fuel pump is pumping too much to the carb and causing it to overflow!? This got me thinking...

One other item, when i got the WP up side down forks i lost the steering limiter that was designed for the stock DR forks. Thus i needed a solution.

Here it is:

First thing i've noticed, in my previous lifes as a human being, i've had many jobs, but welder was certainly not one of them! What a PITA.

Like the guy on Total Recall "Baby, you make me wish i had three hands".

One for the electrode, one to hold the part and another to hold the eye protection. I need to get one of those that is secured to the head and eye sight protection is controled by the head movement.

After a few attempts i finally managed to get the part lightly secured. After a while when i was no longer seeing ants in the air i proceeded with the reinforcement. The result is self explanatory. Good thing is in an area noone will see.

I used a special linking nut with a rounded head bolt and a stopping nut to have it secured.

It works! A lick of black spray paint and the steering limiter is done.

So far so good!

690R
Old 04-25-2010, 04:02 PM   #22
KSH
LurKer

Oddometer: 143
Nice Build
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:07 AM   #23
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 5,415
Gustavo, nice mods

I just put a TM40 on my XR650R and it required allot of changes from the way it's sold (at least by Sudco) The pump nozzle is a big issue, they usally come with a #70 and you probably need about a #50, I'm runnin a #45 at 6000'. You'll like the carb, they all piss some fuel at the stock float height, try 1mm lower. I'm getting 48mpg with the TM40 on the XR, At my alt it needed a 22.5 pilot, 130main and P4 needle jet. I'm not sure about the DR but your jetting sounds a little rich.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 01:13 PM   #24
Gustavo.Ramos OP
Studly Adventurer

Hi RideFreak,

Yeah i also think that too, but something is bugging me: i was recommended to use on the DR a 40 Pilot jet a 160 Main jet, while Jeff from procycle recomended 22.5 Pilot Jet and 140 Main jet. These are quite different carb set ups for the very same bike...

I already ordered a smaller Pilot jet, as main jets i have from 135 to 165

690R
Old 05-08-2010, 08:11 AM   #25
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,714
I'm late to this thread. I like the tank install. Too bad you're not in my area. I could've zapped the brackets on the frame real easy.

Check your lower shock mount. It looks really close to contacting the dogbone link mounts. You don't want them banging on each other when the shock extends over the bumps.
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:56 PM   #26
Gustavo.Ramos OP
Studly Adventurer

Unfortunatly this project is terminated before doing all the mods i've intended to.

By late summer 2011 after a 2 week ride offroad i got tired of the bike and decided to sell.

So she's no longer with me and the new owner parted a few bits.

But my girl has a DR650 too...

690R