User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #166
Am.E
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Try a national search engine for craigslist like "craigspal" and maybe you'll find a dealer out west who has one.
Way ahead of you. Searchtempest is usually the tool of choice. I'm trying to avoid taking a major trip to see a bike until I'm sure I'm ready to buy.

Quote:
I just picked up my New 990 smt yesterday and had to take it out for quick 100 mile trip today! I have had 2 Multis, ...It handles like the Multi with ohlins. It's as comfortable as the 1150gs Adv and seems light and easy to flick around like the F800.
Awesome. Was there another one where you bought that? :) That description just makes me want one more . If its also better than the multi for a person with a shorter inseam, then I think I'll have to double down on my search for a '11:)
Am.E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #167
Multiducrider
SC Adv rider

Oddometer: 51
it seams more like my old style Multi as far as seat height. i couldn't find another 11 but i know there are 10s sitting in showrooms. I wanted the 11 becuase of the ABS.
Multiducrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #168
Am.E
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I wanted the 11 becuase of the ABS.
Yup, me too. ABS is a requirement for my next street bike.

Looks like I'm going to have to travel just to see a 2010 in person, much less find a 2011 to buy.

Probably doesn't matter though. I'm short, and like so many great bikes, the SMT is probably just too tall for me. But until I find one to sit on and prove otherwise, I'm still holding out hope:)
Old 01-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #169
hornet_sv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
How short?

I'm 5'9" and have no problems with the SMT.
hornet_sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:49 PM   #170
ultrachrome
Poser

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet_sv View Post
How short?

I'm 5'9" and have no problems with the SMT.
Inseam's really the issue. 32" is no problem.
ultrachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:24 PM   #171
hornet_sv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrachrome View Post
Inseam's really the issue. 32" is no problem.
I just measured, I'm about 32" too. And no problems height wise. The only thing to remember is I need to slid my butt slightly over to one side of the seat to flat foot. But I can easily just use the ball of my foot, because the bike is so balanced it isn't an issue.
hornet_sv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #172
ultrachrome
Poser

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet_sv View Post
I just measured, I'm about 32" too. And no problems height wise. The only thing to remember is I need to slid my butt slightly over to one side of the seat to flat foot. But I can easily just use the ball of my foot, because the bike is so balanced it isn't an issue.
Agreed. I only ever put one foot down unless I'm trying to walk the bike. It's very easy to balance.
ultrachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #173
WAP
Weekday Warrior

Oddometer: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrachrome View Post
Agreed. I only ever put one foot down unless I'm trying to walk the bike. It's very easy to balance.
This. I'm 5'9 with a 31ish inseam. I had no problem balancing the bike at the dealership with a pillion on the back.
WAP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 05:31 PM   #174
Am.E
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm 5'9 with a 31ish inseam. I had no problem balancing the bike at the dealership with a pillion on the back.
This gives me hope:) I'm not worried about balancing, but maneuvering. I'm generally with you on only putting one foot down, except that doesn't always work out too well fully loaded with camping gear....on a slope...in the gravel.....heh:) Ideally I'll be able to walk it back in a parking lot. Its hard to do if you can't get the ball of your foot down. At 5'4" with a 30" inseam, I'm not in the main mtc demographic, and a lot of really cool bikes are too big to maneuver practically.

I'm going crazy over this bike, its the only bike I've actually wanted to buy in years, but I really just have to see it in person. If the bike and seat are narrow at the tank, its sounds like I can probably make it work, it should be close enough to lower just a bit. If not, eh...Unless I find one closer, I'll have to wait until I can make time to take a trip.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:34 AM   #175
Bikeaddict
Bikeless Due To Recession

Oddometer: 204
One of the easiest and well balanced bikes out there! Light too! You won't have any problem (don't worry, I am not a KTM salesman)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am.E View Post
This gives me hope:) I'm not worried about balancing, but maneuvering. I'm generally with you on only putting one foot down, except that doesn't always work out too well fully loaded with camping gear....on a slope...in the gravel.....heh:) Ideally I'll be able to walk it back in a parking lot. Its hard to do if you can't get the ball of your foot down. At 5'4" with a 30" inseam, I'm not in the main mtc demographic, and a lot of really cool bikes are too big to maneuver practically.

I'm going crazy over this bike, its the only bike I've actually wanted to buy in years, but I really just have to see it in person. If the bike and seat are narrow at the tank, its sounds like I can probably make it work, it should be close enough to lower just a bit. If not, eh...Unless I find one closer, I'll have to wait until I can make time to take a trip.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #176
Am.E
Gnarly Adventurer

Heh. Ok, this is ridiculous. Of course I want a bike I can't actually find. Curse you KTM!

Here's an offer SMT owners: If you are riding anywhere in north-central NC or south central VA area, or near the blue ridge parkway in SW VA, I'll buy you lunch (incl. 1 free beer, but only one, 'cause you're riding) if you let me sit on your bike. That will give me the info I need to decide if its worth it to go across the country to get one.

Takers?
Old 01-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #177
dougpaw57
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Am.E View Post
Heh. Ok, this is ridiculous. Of course I want a bike I can't actually find. Curse you KTM!

Here's an offer SMT owners: If you are riding anywhere in north-central NC or south central VA area, or near the blue ridge parkway in SW VA, I'll buy you lunch (incl. 1 free beer, but only one, 'cause you're riding) if you let me sit on your bike. That will give me the info I need to decide if its worth it to go across the country to get one.

Takers?
Back on post #160 I gave a link to a dealer in WV that has one on eBay. If it's close enough, you could go there and try it out. I know it's a 2010 model, but the ergonomics are the same as a 2011 and you might decide you don't need ABS.
dougpaw57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #178
Am.E
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Back on post #160 I gave a link to a dealer in WV that has one on eBay. If it's close enough, you could go there and try it out. I know it's a 2010 model, but the ergonomics are the same as a 2011 and you might decide you don't need ABS.
Yup, I checked out the link, thanks for the find. Its 5 hours from my house. There is also another 2010 in WV about 4 hours from my house. I'm hoping to make time here soon, but I won't be spending that kind of $$ unless it has ABS. (Not looking to debate the merits of ABS here. For me, its a requirement for my next bike. Everyone else should buy what they want).
Old 01-16-2012, 06:57 AM   #179
Tubulchain
odaat, atgatt

Oddometer: 195
Does this bike really need a slipper clutch and fuel injection work? I found it a bit weak out of corners unless down a gear. Also, the gearing is very tall huh?
Old 01-16-2012, 07:14 AM   #180
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
Does anybody know if the OEM air filter from 990 Adventure will fit to our beloved 990 SM-T?
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is online now   Reply With Quote