Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2012, 07:35 AM   #361
Cracker Red
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I just sold my 2010 mts1200 due to the issues that I've had.....shopping the smt now.but I can't seem.to.find any....leads?
Cracker Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:48 AM   #362
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker Red View Post
I just sold my 2010 mts1200 due to the issues that I've had.....shopping the smt now.but I can't seem.to.find any....leads?
You have to either fill out your profile or tell us where you live. Unless you're willing to travel to another continent to get it?
ATC350X
550MXC
dirtydeeds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 09:13 AM   #363
Desmofan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds View Post
You have to either fill out your profile or tell us where you live. Unless you're willing to travel to another continent to get it?
Not knowing where you are...Motoworld in El Cajon CA (San Diego Area) has a new white 2012 that's been sitting for the year.
Desmofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #364
Cracker Red
Adventurer

sorry about that! CA is a bit far but shipping is always a possibility.
Cracker Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:03 AM   #365
zooomgovroom
hooligan-esque

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
MFI in Woodbridge VA has one I think....

-12/19/07-zarn02 on the DML
zooomgovroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #366
wilmar13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
sorry about that! CA is a bit far but shipping is always a possibility.
Carolina KTM in Mooresville, NC just outside Charlotte has a 2012 white 990SMT... they are good guys, and will sell at good price... bought my RC8R there.

It is driveable from Atlanta.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #367
zooomgovroom
hooligan-esque

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooomgovroom View Post
I just picked up a used but not abused 2010 Orange SM-T last Friday as a 40th B-Day gift to myself, and retiring my old 99 Cagiva Gran Canyon.
OKAY....in the last month I have put just over a 1000 miles. The windblast is a little much at times with the touring screen. If I didn't like the way it looked so damn much, I'd look at the CalSci screen as an option for replacement. I love the rumble from the Leo Vince pipes, as the sound is intoxicating and inviting of twisting the the throttle more ( which results of course of lowered fuel milage) . I have noticed I am getting about 34-36mpg overall. This bike is easy to manuever and a pleasure to bend into the corners, though I haven't started playing with the suspension too much yet. The P.O. traded the bike in at Bob's BMW for an R1200R apparently. Not sure why or what he was thinking, but his loss (IMO) is my gain. I find for commuting that the Givi E21's on the bike are okay, though I am thinking seriously about a set of B36N's for more storage for trips. Possibly also putting a Rotopax tool and stuff storage case on the back rack with a small topcase mounted onto the top of it. I am not sure if the seat is the comfort one or the stocker, but I am not entirely sure exactly how I feel about it yet. I guess I am going to have to ride the bike more ( darn, that is soooo gonna suck! )

Old 10-16-2012, 08:43 PM   #368
CaptainFresca
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooomgovroom View Post
The windblast is a little much at times with the touring screen. If I didn't like the way it looked so damn much, I'd look at the CalSci screen as an option for replacement.
I just got the Calsci windscreen for a weekend trip with my dad. We did 855 miles in Northern California and Southern Oregon.

Previously, I had been using the Givi touring screen, but I like the Calsci screen much better. It is so much quieter and there is very little buffeting. I can ride up to about 60mph with my helmet shield open.

I also noticed a significant increase in my mileage. I had two tanks at 43 mpg, where I used to get 35-38mpg.

The Calsci screen definitely does not improve the looks of the SMT, but everything else about it is a positive for me. In fact, I plan to just leave it on permanently.

With the bigger screen, the SMT makes a great light touring bike. Here is my SMT near Crescent City, CA.

CaptainFresca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:07 AM   #369
Podman
Rocketman

Oddometer: 230
Just got back from a 7 day 2700 mile trip and the bike is a winner. No issues, comfortable, handles well, no windshield problems, never missed a beat. Had the the bike a little over a year and just hitting the 10,000 mile mark. Would have been at around 17,000 but have other bikes to ride. Best all around bike I have ever owned. Kinda a wish H,Y,K etc would make something like this.
Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #370
CaptainFresca
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podman View Post
Just got back from a 7 day 2700 mile trip and the bike is a winner. No issues, comfortable, handles well, no windshield problems, never missed a beat.
I think that KTM hit the perfect balance between comfort and handling with the SMT. It's so subtle that it takes a few thousand miles to really appreciate the magic there.
CaptainFresca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:59 AM   #371
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podman View Post
Just got back from a 7 day 2700 mile trip and the bike is a winner. No issues, comfortable, handles well, no windshield problems, never missed a beat. Had the the bike a little over a year and just hitting the 10,000 mile mark. Would have been at around 17,000 but have other bikes to ride. Best all around bike I have ever owned. Kinda a wish H,Y,K etc would make something like this.
Did you have any issues with handlebar vibration when cruising?
tpulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #372
Podman
Rocketman

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpulls View Post
Did you have any issues with handlebar vibration when cruising?
It's not so much handlebar but side mirror vibration. Kept it in 5th gear a lot which kept the rpms high enough to keep the mirror completely clear. 16 T sprocket would probably help that but for now 5th works fine. Fuel range was never a problem and just got into a habit of looking for gas at 140 into it. Never really thought I would enjoy this bike as much as I do. I can honestly say that the last 100 miles of the 2700 mile trip was the hardest the rest ENJOYABLE.
Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #373
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
anyone tried to put Continental Trail Attack tires for some light offroad like gravel?
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 01:16 PM   #374
zooomgovroom
hooligan-esque

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyxl View Post
anyone tried to put Continental Trail Attack tires for some light offroad like gravel?

when the current Metzler Roadtec Z8's are done, I was considering an 85/15 tire of some sort for to have the ability to go explore a fire road or whatever if I wanted. That and to have a potentially slightly harder center of the tire to somewhat help keep from flatspotting the center when commuting.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:42 AM   #375
aerone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
I just sold my 2010 mts1200 due to the issues that I've had.....shopping the smt now.but I can't seem.to.find any....leads

Performance Power Sports: Seneca, SC (864)888 8123
aerone is offline   Reply With Quote