Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #391
Joe
Debaser

Oddometer: 1,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooomgovroom View Post
pick up and RC8 motor and make your own!
I was more thinking forged wheels and some monoblocs, maybe some flash paint. I'm thinking I don't need anymore power? Never thought I would say that but I rarely find myself needing any extra grunt.

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 01:33 AM   #392
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
I've consumed the 27 pages prior. Any comparo on the SMT and the SM? I had and really enjoyed an 06 950 SM. got a little gremlin prone so I let her go, which still lingers in my mind (read wallet) when considering adding another KTM to the garage. Just curious if the larger tank and comfort seat are the main differences. (I've yet to ride an efi LC8 990 though)
I was trying to be budget friendly eyeballing vstroms, but the just don't peek my lust factor like the 'ol katooms.....
Old 11-14-2012, 04:08 AM   #393
zooomgovroom
hooligan-esque

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
I've consumed the 27 pages prior. Any comparo on the SMT and the SM? I had and really enjoyed an 06 950 SM. got a little gremlin prone so I let her go, which still lingers in my mind (read wallet) when considering adding another KTM to the garage. Just curious if the larger tank and comfort seat are the main differences. (I've yet to ride an efi LC8 990 though)
I was trying to be budget friendly eyeballing vstroms, but the just don't peek my lust factor like the 'ol katooms.....

1ST-IMHO, budget friendly and a motorcycle generally are not 2 things that go together unless you are talking an old XR small bore Honda single....farkles alone put $$$ on any bike like the Stroms and so forth...

I have not ridden an SM, but I understand from a buddy of mine who did have an SM that he likes my SM-T based on the ergonomics. I bought my SM-T used with 14K on the clock, and I can honestly say, it has been issue free thus far really. I know there are a couple things I need/want to do, but nothing that is currently keeping me from riding it.

As far as buying 1 bike while lusting for another( with practicality of $$$ maybe or maybe not spent), well, that is like being married to the soccer mom while you stare at a hot partying stripper chic...both have the ability to do things behind closed doors that you may not ever want to share or disclose...but that doesn't mean you don't think about it at all when you are in public and people look at you and what you are seated with....just a matter of priority I guess.

-12/19/07-zarn02 on the DML
zooomgovroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #394
ohpyramids
Latebird

Oddometer: 50
Interested in a Ktm Smt. Have questions

Hi dudes! I currently own a 2012 Monster 796. Ive put on 8000 miles this year between commuting, weekend canyons, and some 500mi day trips. I am unhappy with the monster, and it just isn't the bike I was in love with. Im 6'2" and 175lbs, and i dont really feel like i fit on the monster physically. So, I am looking into a few different bikes to replace it, primarily the ktm smt. I like the upright seating position and the luggage options. I am not into the 990 adventure because I have a quad for offroading, thjs bike will be 99.5% street riding. Wanted to ask smT owners their opinions about their bikes...

Anyone clocking loads of miles on this bike? How do they hold up?
How is it riding with a passenger? Are you both comfortable for long trips?
Any gripes with the fuel range?
Any must have mods that would add to my initial costs with this bike?
Are you already over it?
How are track days on this beast?

Thanks!
ohpyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #395
julesmt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
I`ve owned my SMT since `09 (new). Done about 20.000 miles, no big problems. Just make sure you have a good dealer you trust or do youre own wrenching.

Riding with 2up is fine for both, its no goldwing but defenatly comfy enough for a few hundred miles.
Fuelrange differs between 125 to 185 miles until the light comes on, 4L left when the light comes on.
No real must have mods. Pipes and mapping are nice, smoother throttle respons, less heat, nice sound.
Trackdays are fun on smaller tracks, on long straights the 4 cyl sportbikes come past but you can take most of `m back in the corners. With really sticky tyres groundclearance becomes a issue, but you can get adjustable footpegs.

Although it is a great bike I am actually over it, moved to riding / racing supermoto so no more time for long trips.

Make sure you testride one before you buy.
julesmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #396
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,093
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553603

^^^ The 990SMT thread is in Roadwarriors. They ain't dirty enough for the OC inmates...
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:45 PM   #397
zooomgovroom
hooligan-esque

as well as the other thread...there is also www.ktmsmt.com to find some good info as well...

Old 11-20-2012, 01:00 PM   #398
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,176
I almost bought one, but didn't. Here's my impression of it re your questions.

Anyone clocking loads of miles on this bike? How do they hold up?
-- seem to hold up pretty well
How is it riding with a passenger? Are you both comfortable for long trips?
-- wife and I didn't fit on it together all that well, wouldn't have been comfortable for her for long trips
Any gripes with the fuel range?
-- yep, tank isn't huge and fuel mileage is on the poor side
Any must have mods that would add to my initial costs with this bike?
-- fuel mapping struck me as a little poor. I think a bit of fiddling to clean it up would go a long way and probably give better range to boot. It's possible to significantly increase displacement if you are after more power too
Are you already over it?
-- seemed a fun, visceral bike, quite sure I wouldn't have gotten board of it
How are track days on this beast?
-- I think it'd be quite good on a track, especially a fairly tight one. Sport bikes will walk away from it on long straights.

I ended up not getting one because the ulysses was 1) 1/3rd the cost (stumbled across a killer deal); 2) much better rear seat, and 3) I was pretty sure I'd end up spending way too much time and $$ squeezing more power from it and dialing in the motor trying to make it better than my TL motor, 'cause it's close enough to taste it, but not quite there. With the Buell there's no such temptation--it's not even close

When KTM releases an RC8 powered 1190 SMT I'll carefully re-evaluate. Overall I think the SMT is probably the best/most fun sport/standard currently in production. I'd so go for it!

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #399
zooomgovroom
hooligan-esque

[slight threadjack]

hey BikePilot...do me a favor at the next event you see Stillie, and slap him upside the head for me!

"Zooom" from the DMF/CAM gang!

[/endthreadjack]

Old 11-20-2012, 01:58 PM   #400
withiam
Philogynist

Oddometer: 249
2013 SMT Pics

If this has been posted, my apologies. Just stumbled across this. Site as a whole is pretty good.

http://blog.derestricted.com/travel/2013-ktm-990-smt/
withiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #401
burgerking
echt bezopen

Oddometer: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by withiam View Post
If this has been posted, my apologies. Just stumbled across this. Site as a whole is pretty good.

http://blog.derestricted.com/travel/2013-ktm-990-smt/
Thanks, great pictures, new colour is really cool

This one for the weekend and my Orange 2012 SMT for weekdays
almost perfect, but I also want the SuperdukeR1290 so that one gets the vote over this black SMT
burgerking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #402
ohpyramids
Latebird

Oddometer: 50
all excellent and helpful responses!
ohpyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #403
CaptainFresca
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
I have a 2011 that I have owned for one year. My mpg ranges from 37 to 42 so tank range is 175 to 200 miles. Haven't done a lot of two up, but my son is comfortable back there for day trips. I have had zero mechanical issues. But only 5,000 miles so far. The only mods I have done are a larger screen and a Kaoko throttle lock

I love the SMT and it is perfect for my needs which is weekend twisties and light touring. Still in love with it after a year. I can't think of another twin that is so well rounded.

Hope that helps. Good luck with your decision!
CaptainFresca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 10:28 AM   #404
TT RDHS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 528
I feel the SMT would make my Superduke and my BMW R1200R, both redundant.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:17 AM   #405
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,471
I made my '07 SM into a SMT. It is a thrilling bike to ride . . . And you can ride all day with a Seat Concepts seat. KTM SM's are great bikes . . . Easy to work on.

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"

mcmann screwed with this post 11-24-2012 at 07:00 AM
mcmann is online now   Reply With Quote