Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2013, 08:56 AM   #496
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,495
I like the smoother part. I dislike city riding as it is, smoother will help. That's one thing that was not exaggerated about the bike. Engine manners at lower RPMs/speeds are bad.
dirtydeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:04 AM   #497
Kafn8td
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
I never noticed any low throttle issues. I did have a starting issue when I first got it. It was like the choke wasn't coming on. I fixed that with the 15 min idle reset. Have you tried that?
Kafn8td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:12 AM   #498
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

I'm referring to the jerky on/off that happens in parking lots. Is this what your talking about as well?
Old 03-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #499
Kafn8td
Gnarly Adventurer

yes. I was expecting it after reading the forums, but I never had the issue.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:14 PM   #500
Pork-Chop Express
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafn8td View Post
yes. I was expecting it after reading the forums, but I never had the issue.
I never noticed the jerky throttle thing either on the demo day when I got to ride an SMT. We even turned around in a parking lot to make the return trip to the dealer and the bike remained very smooth even at crawling slow speed. I still preferred the power delivery, riding position, stiffer suspension, and lack of wind buffeting on the Super Duke to the SMT but there's no denying the SMT is a very nice, very smooth light touring machine.
Pork-Chop Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:10 PM   #501
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Well, I'll have to try to reset the ECU. Thx
Old 03-06-2013, 06:29 PM   #502
Eukol
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Jerky throttle fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtydeeds View Post
Well, I'll have to try to reset the ECU. Thx
Hi, I had the same trouble with my bike (Yam XTX660). Same deal, where some bikes were affected more than others (or riders' care levels?).

It was explained to me that it is an issue of closed loop vs open loop fuel mapping by the ECU. 'Closed loop' is active on low-load, steady throttle openings, and 'open loop' comes into effect on hard acceleration and high load (freeway cruising/hills).

Manufacturers manage to get through emissions testing mainly on closed loop - steady throttle and little loading (no hills or wind resistance - as it's sitting on a dyno). The result is that the closed loop map is leaned right off and the open loop can be much richer as it's (largely) avoided during emissions testing.

The 'jerk' happens when you're negotiating car-parks, roundabout etc - because you're adjusting the throttle alot and the weight of the bike is 'falling' onto the chain/engine and then unweighting (unloading) the chain/engine - because you're in low gear, the engine/ECU feels this loading/unloading greatly (think about ratios and amount of engine braking) .... the net effect is: closed loop ... open loop ... closed loop ... open loop ... closed loop ... open loop (lean ... rich ...lean ... rich ...lean ... rich). A piggyback ECU (dynajet etc) won't get rid of this as they only effect the open loop mapping - unless of course you lean that off too (?!) but that will lean off the bike's performance.

The 'fix' is richening up the closed loop. We (www.xt660.com) experimented with all sort of settings and adjustments. It was one member though who came up with most of the performance improvements - in the end Kevin came up with an electronic solution to rich up only the closed loop - which could be used with or without a dynejet etc. It was an amazing difference and I can now go around a roundabout very smoothly (lots of them in Australia). Dynajet eventually made a similar product for the XT660 - but at 2.5x the price. He supplied the units to us at a very fair price - all professionally enclosed and wired with the correct connections for the loom.

When yamaha stopped importing the XTX660 into Aus, Kevin made the change to a KTM990SMR - I follow him a bit on his forum (www.ktmsmt.com) because I'm thinking of doing the 990SMT next. From what I gather, he is using the same principle to address the problem on KTM 990s, and supplying a similar product for the users on the forum (hopefully still doing it). He used to supply the wiring schematic on early version gizmos, but got burnt with people taking his IP, making the devices and selling them on eBay etc, so I respect his stance on supplying the gizmo only.

Join up and look him up there (www.ktmsmt.com username: kevxtx) and tell him 'Hello' from Eukol. He also (as he did with our bikes) has a complete modification encyclopaedia on offer outlining all the (mostly performance) mods he's come up with (extra cooling fan, airbox mods etc) for the keen DIYers. Happy to do this for him - I don't know him outside of the XT660 forum, but respect what and how he does - he always had time and interest to answer questions - top bloke
Eukol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:21 AM   #503
Kafn8td
Gnarly Adventurer

Kevin is awesome! There is no gizmo however for the SMT. He is using tune ECU and a PC V to address the issue. With tune ECU we can share tunes as they are created either through a Autotune 300 or on a Dyno.

Like I said earlier, my bike never had a snatchy throttle, although it was very difficult to start. With Leo Vince's, CPR air box, SAS blocked off and secondary flies and actuator rods removed, it is like a different motor.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:40 PM   #504
Eukol
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafn8td View Post
Kevin is awesome! There is no gizmo however for the SMT. He is using tune ECU and a PC V to address the issue. With tune ECU we can share tunes as they are created either through a Autotune 300 or on a Dyno.

Like I said earlier, my bike never had a snatchy throttle, although it was very difficult to start. With Leo Vince's, CPR air box, SAS blocked off and secondary flies and actuator rods removed, it is like a different motor.
They all in Kev's KTM990 'pedia?
Eukol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #505
Scutty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Every one - its a must-have for any SMT owner
My bike anthology: BMW G450X, BMW R1200GSA LC, KTM 690 Enduro R, Yamaha WR250R, Yamaha XT600E, KTM 990 SM-T, Ducati Diavel, Kawasaki Z1000, Suzuki SV1000, Kawasaki Zx7-R, Honda VFR800, Honda CBR600F, Yamaha RD350, Yamaha DT175, Honda CM125, Kawasaki AR125, Kawasaki AE50 - wow I have owned a lot of bikes
Scutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #506
prooney377
Pete Rooney

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podman View Post
How did you get all the sheep to pose for the picture
I thought they were clouds that had fallen from the sky. Took some video on the day too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fHUi03FwCk
prooney377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:54 AM   #507
bart802
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
I have a 2013 SMT on order. Good thing I have my DR650 to ride while I wait for it ! Has anyone heard when they might show up here in the U.S. ?

gone -99 zrx1100, 08 ST 1050,03 cr250r, 03 sv1000, 05 ultra and about 22 others
bart802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:00 AM   #508
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart802 View Post
I have a 2013 SMT on order. Good thing I have my DR650 to ride while I wait for it ! Has anyone heard when they might show up here in the U.S. ?
Yeah!
Late August!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:49 AM   #509
MIghty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Augest? Wow. A lot later than last year. I got mine in May
MIghty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:55 PM   #510
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969