Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2011, 07:10 AM   #46
k1973
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claesson View Post
One can save some weight by changing out the stock silencers, but I don't want so spend like 1000 for the once KTM supply...

Akrapovic Evo Slip-On saves 9kg they say http://www.ktm-parts.com/62005099000.html 1660$ though...

Any suggestions? Get them custom made somewhere?
I went with these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEO-VINCE-S-O-OVAL-EVO2-AL-CONE-MS950-7546A-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4aaae6c563QQitemZ32069 4830435QQptZApparelQ5fMerchandise

They are in transit right now, so I haven't bolted them on yet. I had found a thread on here somewhere (and on two other forums) that stated they were a direct bolt on, replacing the stock cans and y-pipe. They have since been replaced with p/n 8414. Which is probably why these are so inexpensive (in comparison).
k1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:52 AM   #47
JJGeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claesson View Post
One can save some weight by changing out the stock silencers, but I don't want so spend like 1000 for the once KTM supply...

Akrapovic Evo Slip-On saves 9kg they say http://www.ktm-parts.com/62005099000.html 1660$ though...

Any suggestions? Get them custom made somewhere?
I have the Leo Vince cans as well. Just get the ones for a 990 Supermoto...they fit.
WMRRA #98
JJGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #48
Podman
Rocketman

Oddometer: 244
Ok guys this thread has been too light lately. I know this is a very low volume bike and only a select few have them but would like some feedback on the bike. I am presently looking a super tenere or 990 smt. I have a 990sd and really like it but I also like to do long trips. Last summer I covered 9000 miles in 3 months of riding on a vfr1200. Really like the superduke and could probably tour on it but want something MTS1200-super tenere-r1200gs oriented. Would like your thoughts on this.

Thx

Mike
Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #49
k1973
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podman View Post
Ok guys this thread has been too light lately. I know this is a very low volume bike and only a select few have them but would like some feedback on the bike. I am presently looking a super tenere or 990 smt. I have a 990sd and really like it but I also like to do long trips. Last summer I covered 9000 miles in 3 months of riding on a vfr1200. Really like the superduke and could probably tour on it but want something MTS1200-super tenere-r1200gs oriented. Would like your thoughts on this.

Thx

Mike
I know what you mean Mike. I have the Super Duke's English cousin, a Triumph Speed Triple. I have a month long 8,500 mi trip planned for late summer and was in the process of setting up Speedy for the trip. I fab'd up a rack for Pelican 1550's, added a 60L dry duffel, and was about to do a few other mods, when I finally decided I didn't want to do that to Speedy. So I jumped on a deal for a 2010 SMT. I don't have any experience on the other bikes you mentioned. But another inmate (milq) as also made the move to the SMT. He was coming off of a V-Strom 1000 (I think) and really like the change.

Both bikes the day I brought the SMT home.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:30 AM   #50
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Ok guys this thread has been too light lately. I know this is a very low volume bike and only a select few have them but would like some feedback on the bike. I am presently looking a super tenere or 990 smt. I have a 990sd and really like it but I also like to do long trips.
I think the big difference between the SMT and the S10 is the 19" front wheel on the S10. If you know you're never going to go off road then the SMT might be the better bike. If you want some dirt ability then I think the S10 is better.

Note that if you are in the US, Yamaha has a backlog on the S10 due to the quake in Japan. Shipments are going to people who ordered in advance. You may have a hard time finding a S10.
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #51
JJGeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen View Post
I think the big difference between the SMT and the S10 is the 19" front wheel on the S10. If you know you're never going to go off road then the SMT might be the better bike. If you want some dirt ability then I think the S10 is better.
Agreed...although the SMT is much lighter (I weighed mine at 467 lbs wet).

The SMT is very capable of doing long distances comfortably. I rode mine from Seattle to Salt Lake last year, including 2 600+ mile days and plenty of crap weather, and I'll be riding it to Laguna this year (hopefully in better weather). The stock bags are small but worked OK for me with a tail bag...but the ADV bags will fit it if you need more space and have the $1,000 to drop. Givi also makes a pannier system. I only get about 30 mpg in town, but on longer rides it reliably gets 40 mpg. 175 miles on a tank is pretty easy to do and still have fun in the twisties.

The SMT will do fine on fire roads given it's geometry and light weight. A larger front wheel would be good for rougher trails though.
WMRRA #98
Old 06-02-2011, 09:51 AM   #52
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Really like the superduke and could probably tour on it...
Touring on a SuperDuke sounds masochistic to me.
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:15 PM   #53
k1973
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJGeo View Post

The SMT is very capable of doing long distances comfortably....

The stock bags are small but worked OK for me with a tail bag...but the ADV bags will fit it if you need more space and have the $1,000 to drop. Givi also makes a pannier system.
I'm with you on the size of the stock bags. Plus they are a PITA to get into. I've been looking into alternatives and have heard some question the durability of the SW Motech EVO & the Givi systems. Plus I'm not too keen on the price. Touratech also has a setup, but its way out there on price as well.

With that said, I've been talking with Happy-Trail about an SU-Rack for the SMT. My first look research shows that their 950 SE rack system might bolt right up to the SMT. Only the rear 'bumper' part of the rack would need to be changed. I just fired off an email with a bunch of pics of my bike and the mounting locations. I included some with & w/o the plastics. I also included some basic measurements so that Ed & Jason can compare it to the CADD drawings of their rack.

If it all works out then I'm going to pull the trigger on the SU rack with Teton panniers and top plate.. Total = $768.95 Which is pretty good considering what the other options available.

The other option is to build my own rack like I did for my S3. Saved me a shit ton of money, but it was a pain to fab the one off rack.

-keith
Old 06-02-2011, 04:26 PM   #54
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1973 View Post
I've been looking into alternatives and have heard some question the durability of the SW Motech EVO & the Givi systems.
I first used SW-Motech Quick Lock frames 10 years ago, and whilst I have heard and seen people question their durabilty, I've never had a problem nor read of any significant recurring problems with the system. By contrast, I have heard several reports of the stainless Touratech frames on the KTM 690 cracking for instance. Just because they are designed to come of the bike easily it doesn't mean there's got to be a durability issue.
Old 06-02-2011, 04:52 PM   #55
k1973
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar View Post
I first used SW-Motech Quick Lock frames 10 years ago, and whilst I have heard and seen people question their durabilty, I've never had a problem nor read of any significant recurring problems with the system. By contrast, I have heard several reports of the stainless Touratech frames on the KTM 690 cracking for instance. Just because they are designed to come of the bike easily it doesn't mean there's got to be a durability issue.
That's what I was thinking as well, but then started coming across several threads/posts where people were having issues with the quick release bolts rattling loose. And a few others stated they were pretty much destroyed after a drop in the parking lot. Not sure how true all those statement are, but it was enough to get me to do some more research.

The rack I built for my S3 isn't bullet proof, but I did build in enough strength and cross bracing to survive a drop in my parents drive (30mph gust blew it off the side stand). The rack and pelican side cases actually protected my side panels and rear of the bike.

k1973 screwed with this post 06-03-2011 at 08:12 AM
Old 06-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #56
univibe88
Slidell4Life

Oddometer: 2,088
What kind of gas mileage and tank range does this bike get? I tried asking google and came up with one answer: 35-40mpg. So that and a 5 gallon tank = <200. Is this right?

"I like my ride plans like my women...loosely put together with a chance of getting wet."
univibe88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:08 AM   #57
sebastianp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Yes, unfortunately the LC8 engines have terrible economy.

I hope KTM get it right with the 1200cc version due next year.
sebastianp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:39 PM   #58
JJGeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by univibe88 View Post
What kind of gas mileage and tank range does this bike get? I tried asking google and came up with one answer: 35-40mpg. So that and a 5 gallon tank = <200. Is this right?
30 mpg in town dealing with traffic and lights...100-110 before light comes on.

40 mpg on trips...about 160-170 before light comes on.

I've never gone more than 175 on a tank, but it's always had at least 1/2 gallon or so left. Plenty for me as my ass hurts by then.
WMRRA #98
Old 06-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #59
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?

Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJGeo View Post
the SMT is much lighter (I weighed mine at 467 lbs wet).
Gee Whiz. Rider magazine tested the Triumph Tiger 800 and it came in at 480 lbs. wet. I'm impressed with the SMT, now.
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #60
milq
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1973 View Post
I know what you mean Mike. I have the Super Duke's English cousin, a Triumph Speed Triple. I have a month long 8,500 mi trip planned for late summer and was in the process of setting up Speedy for the trip. I fab'd up a rack for Pelican 1550's, added a 60L dry duffel, and was about to do a few other mods, when I finally decided I didn't want to do that to Speedy. So I jumped on a deal for a 2010 SMT. I don't have any experience on the other bikes you mentioned. But another inmate (milq) as also made the move to the SMT. He was coming off of a V-Strom 1000 (I think) and really like the change.
Yep, I had a V-strom and I am not regretting the change one little bit. The strom was not a bad bike at all but it didn't "move" me I guess. It was trouble free and comfort was OK but the SMT is sooo much better in the ergo and suspension departments (for me). I also have a Speed Triple and I love it, but it isn't meant for long distance travel (I'm 6'2"/250 lbs). I rode the triple today for the first time in a week and it still puts an evil grin on my face, so I think it will be sticking around.

The SMT will be getting some sort of top case (likely a pelican) for longer trips but I'll be using a smaller tail bag for daily use.

BTW...T-bags has a close out tailbag for $29.95 with free shipping.