User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2010, 08:10 AM   #31
cinghiale
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Sweet bike

You have done yourself proud. That looks like one nice machine put together well and will handle any type of on or off adventure.

We are born without a road map, enjoy the ride.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:00 AM   #32
jjustj
cum petris et choris

Oddometer: 5,349
just found this!!!

Good stuff!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348508
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489958 Sunday worship, a strap-on, and Does this water taste funny?
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:15 AM   #33
demetri
looking for an exit

Oddometer: 70
!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicomama
Demetri, how about this for an additional wild parallel between us. Not only do our daughters share the same name, but my 5 year old son's name is Dimitri (old Greek family name). Ha!
I'll tell you how about it;

A) Your Trip-Karma will be good!
B) You have GREAT taste in names!

KEEP IT COMIN!

demetri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 04:34 PM   #34
fotobo
KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,588
Really enjoying your ride report Nicole. You got some great pics. Thanks for sharing.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #35
Tripletreat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
thanks!

Great stuff, Nicole. Just want we've come to expect from you! I especially enjoy the photos. They are almost enough to make me wish I was back in Califa. Almost.
Then I remember the traffic
You've picked a great time for this ride. Weather is nice and the land barges have yet to take over the Coast Highway
Thanks for all you do!
Tripletreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:44 PM   #36
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99

BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #37
nicomama OP
Rugged Rider

Oddometer: 468
Responding to my guys

TurnerR, no doubt if you've spent some big money with some large off-roading companies like All-Pro and Marlin you'd notice the stickers in my garage. They're actually my ex's stickers after he spent a small fortune on his '87 Forerunner making it his 4x4 baby. Dimitri calls it the "Monster Truck".

v84x4, say DRZ brother, looking forward to hearing some stories on your SM. So glad the sun shots helped melt away those ice cycle blues.

Dougz73, want to hear some stories about your own product fabrication. Big thanks for the biz well wishes.

Brother dan, Yep, you are totally right. That castle was in Alice and Chains "Your Decision" video. Funny. Don't know who owns it now, but they are doing a major restoration to the castle. This hill is right next door to the Getty Villa, Malibu.

Rydnseek/Scotty, always wonderful to hear from you. Thank you so much for the nice compliments. Looks like I'll be heading out to your state, AZ, for the Overland Expo in April. So looking forward to it.
nicomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #38
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,460
Nice pics.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:22 AM   #39
nicomama OP
Rugged Rider

Oddometer: 468
Kirk Creek campground, south of Big Sur

Boy, did I luck out in choosing my first night's spot along the coast. I wanted to get up to San Francisco in two days, so that would put the midway mark around the San Simeon area. The San Simeon campground didn't float my boat, so I followed Google Earth up the coast and stumbled upon Kirk Creek campground. Rather than give you a bunch of words about how much I loved the place just look for yourself. My campsite #32...

Even though it was midweek, most of the campsites were full or reserved. Can't believe I got this one. Here is THE best spot #8 right on the bluff, housing good ol' Mr. Beemer...

Now check out his southerly view. Poor guy...

And, here's the Kirk Creek south coastline shot...

After a quick camp setup, I took a load off and got lost in watching the sun slowly drop...

My neighbor Reed and his beloved dog, Bear, welcomed me after asking some DRZ questions. Moto talk brought him back to some good ol' days.

The neighbors...

Reed enjoyed photography, too, so tagged along with me down the trail to capture a beautiful Kirk Creek sunset...

"Thanks for being my tripod, Reed."

What I was really thrilled about at the end of this first long day was that I completely figured out how to avoid the throttle hand tendonitis that I suffered from my Grand Canyon trip. It took a couple of months for the full strength in my hand and fine motor skills to fully return.

I think the secret for me was 3 different things. One, I started tennis elbow grip exercises a month out from this trip to strengthen my forearms...

Two, I lowered my load making steering and handling much easier.

Before saddlebags, on the Grand Canyon trip...

After the saddlebags...

Thirdly, and most importantly, I adopted a much looser grip. After dirt bike school, I forced myself to get used to keeping the index and middle fingers of each hand on the levers. Sometimes, I even open-palmed the throttle on long stretches of this trip just to get the blood pumping through the wrist again.

After darkness descended, my belly told me it was time for dinner, so I pulled out the first night's jarred dinner, sauteed julienned zucchini with homemade pesto and Trader Joe's chunk white canned chicken. Good thing I brought a church key to cut out a metal sun off the can.

I had invited Reed over to share the extra food I had, especially after hearing that he was gonna grab a peanut butter and jam sandwich for himself...

I'm eating low carb these days, so it was easier for me to jar my own food at home instead of packing prepackaged dehydrated food that mostly includes noodles and rice in the dinners.

Before loading the cooked dinners, breakfasts and desserts into jars at home, I had to sterilize them...

Then once you dry them and add the food, tighten the lids and gently place them into a pot to boil and pressurize the lids. I knew I was going to eat the food within a few days of jarring, so I trusted this boiling water bath method. But, they usually suggest this method is only safe for tomatoes, fruits, jams, jellies, pickles and other preserves.

If you want to jar meats, etc, then they suggest pressure canning. Check out this canning link if you're interested in learning more.

Even though the glass jars are a little heavier, I still think it's worth the weight to have fresh homemade food. There's another reason that you'll soon find out why it was a great idea to have my food in these jars.

After eating and cleaning up, I packed up the rest of the food for the night. I put all the food in my cylindrical cooler and screwed the lid on tightly. Then I put that into my Wolfman Expedition dry bag. Here's a picture of the cooler in the bag on another day...

I only buckled the top buckle after rolling the top of the bag down. My mistake. After climbing into the tent to start my night-time rituals, I ignored my inner voice that nagged at me to come back out and buckle down the sides of the bag.

I had a gut feeling that I was going to wake up to some sort of party aftermath. My suspicions were confirmed after hearing raccoons rifle through my goodies and ultimately fight over it near my head in the tent. I was too tired to even bother with them in the middle of the night, so I let the festivities continue.

It sure made me look closer at my opening shot of Kirk Creek...

Those party animals.

I slept like a log after the party died down, and took my time getting dressed in the morning before unzipping the tent to take a gander at the party aftermath...

Those little paws had actually unbuckled the bag and unscrewed the cooler. But, they couldn't unscrew the pressurized lids. YEEHA, I had only lost my lunches of pouched salmon and mayo packets...

They even spared a couple of salmon pouches...

My breakfasts are one of my favorites, zucchini flan. I know it doesn't sound too appetizing, but you don't really taste the zucchini, just an egg and custard taste. In the orange jars is my dessert of butternut squash pudding. Deelish.

After roasting halved butternut squashes and basting them with melted coconut oil, I put the meat of them in the food processor with 2 T melted butter, 2 T melted coconut oil and whatever sweetener you want (I use Stevia)...

It was then that Reed invited me over for tea before I had to pack it up and take off. We shared a laugh over the raccoons...

After hearing about me designing my own products, he was excited to show me his proud design of the welded rig addition that held and lowered his kayak in the back and swung out for easy access to the tools at the rear of the van.

Pulling the hitch pin...

Swinging out the rig...

The tools...

What was neat was that Reed was doing the same thing with his van. He was driving across the states to connect with friends from one place to the next. That reminded me that I had to pack it up to get back on the road to go on to my own connections.

But, first I had to swing the bike around, which wasn't an easy task on this relatively steeper incline with gravel under my boots. So, I threw some hip into it, Baby...

Then packed it up under an overcast sky...

Say goodbye to Kirk Creek. I'll definitely be back again...

After hooking up my point and shoot to charge off the battery while I rode...

And, I am off for more glorious adventures. I knew my day would allow for stopping to enjoy much scenery on an easy 156 mile trek to Half Moon Bay outside of Santa Cruz.

Only into one day and night of my adventure and already had a great reinforcement that I need to listen more closely to my inner voice, gut instinct or intuition, whatever you want to call it. At least the raccoon party was a small price to pay for pushing it aside.

Ready for more amazing scenery as I inch my way up the coast.

nicomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:20 AM   #40
GrayGoSt
Ridin' the F8

Oddometer: 121
I'm Loving Your Report!

Hi Nicomama.....thanks so much for the awesome report and pictures. Living up here in No. CA. I've ridden the same roads the other direction many times. Your post here is letting me re-live the ride and also see some of those areas off the road I've not been. Thanks again..I'm continuing to read follow your ride.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #41
BitesTheDust
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
BitesTheDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:48 AM   #42
Gizmo
Hermes

Oddometer: 1,668
As usual, nice ride report. While I have enjoyed your previous ride reports, this one is particularly inspiring. I am planning a little sojourn from my home in Phoenix to scoop my daughter up from her place in Sherman Oaks and head up the PCH. So it is pretty cool to read your report and provide ideas for places to scope out.

Bruce
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul
09' BMW K1200 LT
IBA # 8547
Gizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #43
aldntn
Vgo

Oddometer: 273
Great report

Bringing back memories of the PCH

09 DL650ABS
aldntn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #44
ian408
Oh?

Oddometer: 13,949
A nice trip with what looks like great weather.
ian408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:50 AM   #45
Michaelfish
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Thumb Nice

Them raccoons got into my wife & I's stuff at Plaskett Creek campground also. I was surprised at how smart those little guys are.
Ridgecrest, Kahliffoanya
Michaelfish is offline   Reply With Quote