User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
palmstatecrawler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
In need of Can Am outlander info

I think I am about ready to buy my firstfour wheeler. Need a 2-up and the outlander max xt Iis looking to be the one. Problem is, there are no forums fore to ask all the questions I want take an informed decision. I have looked at polaris and arctic cat as well but the can am really stands out aesthetically and comfort wise. I don't know Iif it's the most reliable of the three but it won'tget ridden that hard so Iit shouldn't be a problem. I'm looking at the max xt 800 or 1000 and seriously doubt I need the power of the 1000 but I don'twant to regret the decision later. Are there any good forums I should look at? Any and all info will greatly appreciated.
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
'10 Yamaha TW200 '07 Kawasaki KLX250, '86 Yamaha BW80
palmstatecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
mr2autoxr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
I have a 2004 Outlander 400 4x4. Not the XT but I have had no real issues with mine and I rode it on the trails for many years before getting my bike a couple of years ago.

The XT's are nice for hilly terrain as they are more stable, but have a larger turning radius so tight trails can mean backing up to make a turn.

Suspension is good and soft. I upgraded to the A-arm suspension from the 800cc bikes so that it could handle my faster trail pace.

I still use it for hauling wood and plowing around the house.

Forums:
http://www.can-amforum.com/
http://www.can-amtalk.com/index.php
Old 07-25-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
Trickie Dick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Did you google the Can-Am outlander forum? The first one that came up had about 10 stickies on the outlander.
Trickie Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 05:45 AM   #4
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,578
Lots of Can Am forums that have tons of info on the Outlander.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #5
palmstatecrawler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I was hoping to find a more active forum for them. The two mentioned in post #2 are pretty much the only ones I could find. I was really hoping to find a forum like advrider that was more active. Guess canamtalk/forum will have to suffice. And yes I did use gGoogle to search and those are the ones that came up. Thanks guys.
'13 KTM 690 Enduro R w/ full akrapovic exhaust, Evo1 lid, uni filter, Renazco seat, hard parts windshield and footpad, scotts damper with BRP submount, hammerhead shifter, flatlands skidplate, lost dog centerstand, Touratech engine guards, r&g front and rear axle and exhaust sliders, piaa 1100's, Doubletake mirrors, G2cam system,
Old 07-26-2014, 05:39 PM   #6
the_real_wild1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
I have a 2012 outy max xt. Awesome machine. It is the 800. I have riden the 1000, 650,500,400. I love my 800 and if funds were unlimited I would buy the exact machine again over anything out there. I ride often and do try other machines often. Get either the 650 or 800 and don't look back. Don't bother with the single seat machine. I don't double on mine and it is the most stable and comfortable machine out there. I ride all day and don't feel beat up at the end. You will need to get the rad relocate for it. Get the factory one. Easy to install and cheap.

Old 07-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #7
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_real_wild1 View Post
I have a 2012 outy max xt. Awesome machine. It is the 800. I have riden the 1000, 650,500,400. I love my 800 and if funds were unlimited I would buy the exact machine again over anything out there. I ride often and do try other machines often. Get either the 650 or 800 and don't look back. Don't bother with the single seat machine. I don't double on mine and it is the most stable and comfortable machine out there. I ride all day and don't feel beat up at the end. You will need to get the rad relocate for it. Get the factory one. Easy to install and cheap.

What lift table is that?
jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #8
the_real_wild1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
I don't remember the brand name. There are about five tables out there that are pretty much identical
Old 07-27-2014, 08:32 PM   #9
eduardobibm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,637
I rode a friends Outlander recently and it is the most amazing ATV I have ever ridden. His was the 800 model. I was amazed at how much speed you could carry across rough terrain. My 2005 Brute Force 650 doesn't come close.
"Must be a yearning deep in human heart to stop other people from doing as they please. Rules, laws always for other fellow ... was always something they hated to see neighbors doing. Stop them 'for their own good' not because speaker claimed to be harmed by it."
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
eduardobibm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:48 PM   #10
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,604
Had a 650XT and 500XT for wife..awesome machines, great power..trouble free..
VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:28 AM   #11
vintagemxr
old fahrt, nobody special

Oddometer: 565
Been a few years but I did about 40 miles 2-up on a friend's Outlander 400 and never felt like it lacked for power, just room. When it came right down to it though I bought that Arctic Cat 650 TRV which had more than enough power. I felt like the Cat, with it's more conventional chassis, would be less prone to fatal frame damage than the Outlander with it's I-beam design.

Really, i don't think you'd go wrong with any of the big name quads, sort of comes down to what details and comfort suit your specific needs.
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength" - Eric Hoffer
vintagemxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:40 AM   #12
zg1286
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmt View Post
What lift table is that?
Looks like Direct Lift
http://www.directlift.com/ProCycle-XLT-P58C15.aspx
Old 07-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #13
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,894
I have found the Nyrock ATV forum has some pretty good technical information. No atv site I've found is as active as ADVRider. Let me know if you find a good one.
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:02 AM   #14
palmstatecrawler OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I am still looking at the 80 max xt. Don't think I will ever need all the power of the 1000 and probably not even the 800. I have come across a new dilemma though. I have been looking for a brand new 2up vehicle and settled odo the canam after looking at the polaris and arctic cat. I didn't want to put down a deposit only to have to wait for 1+ month. Then I saw Sunday evening that polaris is bringing back the 50" rzr. I am now struggling with whether I want a rzr, always dreamed of getting one, or get a 4Wheeler like my friends. Off to the interest to study up...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: