Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM   #1
Patrol OP
VALE 46!

Oddometer: 1,306
Prepping For The Zombie Apocolypse...What Are The Must Haves?

The title isn't exactly honest. I don't anticipate any zombie events, and I don't believe the government or any secret societies plan to turn 99% of us into slaves. More than we already are anyway.

But I do believe we will have another extended blackout or similar, and I was just reading a paper by a former Whitehouse adviser that said terrorists already have nukes. The laws of probability say some day something unpleasant is going to happen. Even the governments are running commercials now telling people to have a plan in place to look after ourselves for 3 to 7 days before the government can get its act together after an event.

My thinking is if the government says 'we'll be ready to help in 3 days' I will plan for 30.

I spoke to a fellow who makes his living advising really really wealthy people how to preserve their position and wealth if it all goes south. He says forget buying gold unless you're a multi-millionaire, stockpile cases of cheap vodka, .22 ammo, and 12 gauge.

I know a lot of people take this stuff seriously. I'm not building a bunker, but I would like to tap into the amassed expertise here.

What are the must haves?
Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM   #2
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,013
#1- Situational awareness. If something bad really happened there will be plenty of people that would be ready to take your preparations from you.

edit- great, now I sound like a doomsday nutter.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM   #3
BillsR100
Happy Paleoflatus

Oddometer: 2,744
I do believe we are very susceptible to an extended period without electricity, I watched this (below) on TV last week and it didn't help to calm my fears.
To answer your question, We (wife, 21 yr old son and I) have made no preparations, so please leave your address so we can come get yours. Thanks in advance.

BillsR100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM   #4
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 22,842
You're one of the there RCMPs or some such, right? You'll be just fine. Matter of fact, me and you and The Bruno will be taking over the ballets in the W when it all goes sideways. Mmmmmm, zombie strippers.
NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM   #5
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,980
You need to have a plan in place to live without electricity, gasoline and groceries. You need to have a store of canned foods and the ability to hunt or fish if you want to eat.

If you do have a decent supply of necessities, you need to be able to defend yourself. .22 ammo is hard to find in many places, but it will be very handy for hunting small game. Shot shells are easy to acquire, and no reason why you shouldn't have 800-1,000 on hand!

Buy seeds. Lots of seeds, and learn how to grow veggies if you don't already know. I'd also suggest water filters and the ability to catch rain water.
Old Yesterday, 04:44 PM   #6
zaTTaz
LOUD NOISES.

Oddometer: 183
We have a drum of water with some silver hanging in it to tide us over till we get things setup if anything were to happen, natural disaster or otherwise. Also a heap of tinned and dried food. The ability to hunt or fish is all good, if you live near something to hunt or fish...
If you live in a big city I'd say it's a whole other set of rules if shit hits the fan.

I think a disaster relief kit would be a good start. There will be heaps of such things scattered around the interwebs.
zaTTaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM   #7
Patrol OP
VALE 46!

Nico I've been trying to get the inmates on this side of the creek to plan a rendezvous with you guys, in Royal Oak maybe. It's really an excuse for you, me, and Bruno to plot global domination but the others need not know that. They'll be changing the Emperor's (me) oil soon enough.
Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM   #8
KiloBravo
Armchair Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol View Post
I was just reading a paper by a former Whitehouse adviser that said terrorists already have nukes.
You're in Canada, quit reading our propaganda and get your own.
KiloBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:03 PM   #9
Nytelyte
Somewhere about

Oddometer: 579
Have a plan for water, for however many days you think its plausible to be without X people you need to support.
Have a plan for shelter, for however many days you think its plausible to be without X people you need to support.
Have a plan for food, for however many days you think its plausible to be without X people you need to support.
Back that up with some medical provisions and some way to protect the above, if you think its necessary, for however long you need to do so.

And that should have it covered.

Alcohol stocks would, in that situation, likely be traded for as a currency. Better than that would probably be knowing how to do things, like building a still or growing food or making things work or reloading, etc.

Add to that be in decent enough shape to take care of yourself (sadly lacking in this day and age) and some basic medical / hunting / farming / wild edibles knowledge and you'll be better off than 90% of the populace, and none of those things would do you poorly even if nothing bad happens.
Nytelyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM   #10
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,121
Toilet paper, lots and lots of toilet paper. Matches couldn't hurt either. A little extra gas; no electricity, no gas pump.

Make sure your DS bike is in good running condition. If it all goes to shit, the roads will be solid packed. A DS can get you around.

How long you think a first world society can exist with no electricity?

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM   #11
91Eunos
zipper suited sun god

Oddometer: 696
Well according to every zombie movie and tv show I've ever seen all I need is a shitty RV and a crossbow.

Seriously though, name aside, some of the best prepping advice you'll find is over at zombiehunters.org

Not a whole lot of tolerance for asshats or trolls over there...especially in the firearms sub-forums. Refreshing.

Found them when I was laid up after my second spinal surgery and followed a link to their fiction section...got me through a month of strictly enforced bed rest, which sounds awesome until you do it. Gets real old after a few days...
91Eunos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM   #12
Patrol OP
VALE 46!

That was the adviser's point, that cases of cheap vodka would be currency.

I have a Great Lake in my yard, so my water situation is pretty good. Fishing too.
Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM   #13
dolomoto
Destroyer of Motorcycles

Oddometer: 2,492
In case of CONPLAN 8888, I reckon that alcohol and food will be used to barter (currency will be useless).

Folks who can hunt, preserve food and produce alcohol will be in the catbird seat.

All others, well, they will be customers.
Old Yesterday, 06:59 PM   #14
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,749
depends on your location. I have a high power air rifle for small game. a nice selection of 30-06 ammo. some for big game some for longer range and some for high penetration. a good shotgun and ammo for it. Shotguns can cover a wide range of hunting with different shells and it's easy to change from one shell to the other on the go.

water. good clothing. food that stays fresh with out having to be cold. a really good pare of boots that you can walk in with out hurting your feat. a really good pare of gloves.

good camo.

a good knife. and some way to start a fire. and a good portable first aid kit.

A lot of this can be kept in a bug out bag.

but again it depends on where you are located as to what you need. you're biggest worry is going to be the people that didn't plain and are starving after a few days.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM   #15
Mottorrad Brian
Everyone's n00b

Oddometer: 29
sad thing about the hunting bit is every other limp dick with a gun will be doing the same thing. a position I wouldn't want to be in, woods full of starving assholes armed to the teeth looking for there next meal... just my thoughts on this...
Mottorrad Brian is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: