Old 05-08-2014, 12:38 PM   #1636
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrod View Post
Nikons,

Another scan from 600mm Pentax 645

There is something magical about old headstones.

Flyrod
It just needs something....sorry not the most helpful critique I know, just it looks like a cool headstone but the composition isn't getting to the same level as the subject.

Maybe try a different angle? Or move back and get the whole thing including some of the ground. Only seeing the top of the headstone might be part of what's feeling off about the composition.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:33 PM   #1637
flyrod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
Nikons

Just a cool headstone and messing with the 600mm. I have taken enough
of your time and others will bore of this.

When I print the figure I will be critical of the cropping. The water image
is fine for the web and same applies, when printed, I will look at carefully
and be sure my repair is invisible.

I appreciate the input and will try and be more critical of composition in the future. My wife is far better in photoshop than I and much more critical. Images will have to pass her scrutiny before printing.

Thanks again,

Flyrod
flyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #1638
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Just a cool headstone and messing with the 600mm. I have taken enough
of your time and others will bore of this.

When I print the figure I will be critical of the cropping. The water image
is fine for the web and same applies, when printed, I will look at carefully
and be sure my repair is invisible.

I appreciate the input and will try and be more critical of composition in the future. My wife is far better in photoshop than I and much more critical. Images will have to pass her scrutiny before printing.

Thanks again,

Flyrod
No problem, always feel free to post more.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 05-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #1639
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,049
From my chaperon trip to DC with my daughter's 5th grade class. Realize I was limited in positioning myself as I showed up just as the changing of the guard started. There's not much I can do about the curved carpet. I checked the horizon/steps to see if they were straight and they are. I just think the carpet was a bit askew. I think I may have over processed it a bit, but what do you think about the composition?

IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
docwells7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:28 PM   #1640
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Was this with the 300 2.8 or a zoom? As a shot it's pretty solid, focus is on, exposure is a bit high but if you have it in RAW it's easy to fix that up.

The one thing I'd want to try to see is what are in the areas cropped off, what would moving the rider to the left/right do. So what I'd do to experiment sometime when you don't need every bit of resolution is to zoom out a bit and play around. You can take the shots so now the challenge is to make the shot your own/stand out.

Edit: Are these for web or to be printed? And if so to what size? I'm just wondering because keeping the focus on and perfect composition with action is a hard thing to do even for those with tons of practice so giving a bit of breathing room to crop later on could help. I've learned to do it to some degree with my action shots which has helped a good bit. I still air towards trying to compose it right in the viewfinder but occasionally remember to pull back and it helps especially with shots that you see which are perfect except they just cut this side a little too close etc. usually they're still good shots but just not the perfect one you want.
it was with the 300 prime. Shooting with it's a close to exercise as I'll get.

I cropped it a little, still playing with the new Windows 8.1 machine. The photo program in it is nice, just doesn't have a sharpness tweaker like IPhoto. But I'm glad I made the move back to PC I'm not a fan of appla as much as I loved the IMac. I just have to get off my ass and install Lightroom it's still in the box going on a week.

People print pictures?

I just cropped it as it needed it but I still have the original. I like the shot as I was focused on the blue garbed rider as I know him. Interesting to see what the prime did at close range almost wide open as I recall. Looking forward to using it more, I'm thinking the 70-200 zoom is going to gather dust this year.

Can you explain again what happens when I put a FX lens on a DX camera, what would I effectively have with the 70-200 on a Nikon 7100?

Your continued feedback is very much appreciated. Thanks!
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #1641
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
it was with the 300 prime. Shooting with it's a close to exercise as I'll get.

I cropped it a little, still playing with the new Windows 8.1 machine. The photo program in it is nice, just doesn't have a sharpness tweaker like IPhoto. But I'm glad I made the move back to PC I'm not a fan of appla as much as I loved the IMac. I just have to get off my ass and install Lightroom it's still in the box going on a week.

People print pictures?

I just cropped it as it needed it but I still have the original. I like the shot as I was focused on the blue garbed rider as I know him. Interesting to see what the prime did at close range almost wide open as I recall. Looking forward to using it more, I'm thinking the 70-200 zoom is going to gather dust this year.

Can you explain again what happens when I put a FX lens on a DX camera, what would I effectively have with the 70-200 on a Nikon 7100?

Your continued feedback is very much appreciated. Thanks!
It'll be a 105-300 on DX, the downside is the D7100 has a small buffer so if you're shooting RAW you'll only get about 5ish shots per burst before it slows down. But the AF does cover more of the frame than the D700/D4.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #1642
Adelphos
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
I loved my D7100 while I had it. Never once had a problem with the buffer. Even shooting sports. Just be deliberate about it and don't spray and pray. Less photos to throw out later that way ha
Adelphos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:28 PM   #1643
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwells7 View Post
From my chaperon trip to DC with my daughter's 5th grade class. Realize I was limited in positioning myself as I showed up just as the changing of the guard started. There's not much I can do about the curved carpet. I checked the horizon/steps to see if they were straight and they are. I just think the carpet was a bit askew. I think I may have over processed it a bit, but what do you think about the composition?

Composition wise the big thing is just giving a little more space for the elements in it. The rug comes awfully close to the bottom edge of the frame so a little bit more would help. As would a small amount more on the left side.

The other thing to possibly do is get lower as you have a pretty standard perspective here, getting close to the ground could look cool.... though I'm not sure I'd want to be contorting myself in front of the tomb of the unknown soldier. If it was drier and you could just sit down that would be a good way to do it.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:36 PM   #1644
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwells7 View Post

Barrel distortion? The seam in the concrete above the far edge of the mat appears to bow downward as well, although not to the extent of the near edge.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:37 PM   #1645
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexLeroy View Post
Barrel distortion? The seam in the concrete above the far edge of the mat appears to bow downward as well, although not to the extent of the near edge.
Good eye, it's an easy fix in lightroom but you'll lose even more of that edge.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:56 AM   #1646
scootac
Just a Traveler

Oddometer: 2,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post

Help me understand why there is not too much negative space in this photo. Close to half (if not more) is sky, and not very dramatic.
Just trying to learn.....

'81 R100RT, '04 ST 1300, '02 DR 650
scootac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:30 AM   #1647
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootac View Post
Help me understand why there is not too much negative space in this photo. Close to half (if not more) is sky, and not very dramatic.
Just trying to learn.....
For my work it's not so much negative space because I have a running theme of clouds through a lot of it:

(One of the more dramatic examples)

Though you're right in that it would have been stronger being closer to street level, it was taken from my hotel (I think 3rd floor) in Tel Aviv so angling it down would just create distortion so that wasn't an option. Sometimes you're just stuck with what you've got and need to make the strongest image possible.

Since the highest bit up top didn't have much to it I took it down to an 8x10 (I try to keep my work in 3:2 4:3 or 4:5/8:10):

Old 05-09-2014, 08:55 AM   #1648
flyrod
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
People print pictures

Nachtflug,

Some of us still print pictures. My wife and I do and used to do a lot more.

One of the first photo printers is an Epson 1270 that is quite old and still
in use.

then went to an Epson 2200 that is still used for test prints, mostly from scans

Then went to Epson 2400 that my wife uses a lot still

Then to Epson 4880 for roll paper & canvas

Then to Epson 7600 - 24" for roll paper and canvas

All are still in use weekly. They allow us to do things like this,
Collage for my Dads passing 2 years ago, I made 50 copies for friends and
family

Small print from Italy with shop made spalted ash frame I made in my shop

And this 20 x 30 Quake lake in Montana print

My wife did a lot of macro work. Nielsen aluminum frames, archival matte
that we cut on our large mat cutter. She has sold many images as have I.

More

We do our own canvas wraps, I make the stretcher frames in the shop.
They are very expensive to sub out so we do it ourselves.

Doing our own prints allows us to print the way we want. It has been a
sometimes frustrating experience but much less expensive and we enjoy
the process. It is like watching a print come to life in a tray in the darkroom, just the modern version. The only prints we sub out are on metal or a medium we are not familiar with. I will print my own till the day
I die.

Best regards to all,

Flyrod
flyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:21 AM   #1649
thumperpilot
Thumper Pilot

Oddometer: 5,288
Quote:
Nachtflug,

Some of us still print pictures. My wife and I do and used to do a lot more.

One of the first photo printers is an Epson 1270 that is quite old and still
in use.

then went to an Epson 2200 that is still used for test prints, mostly from scans

Then went to Epson 2400 that my wife uses a lot still

Then to Epson 7600 - 24" for roll paper and canvas

All are still in use weekly. They allow us to do things like this,
Collage for my Dads passing 2 years ago, I made 50 copies for friends and
family

Small print from Italy with shop made spalted ash frame I made in my shop

And this 20 x 30 Quake lake in Montana print

My wife did a lot of macro work. Nielsen aluminum frames, archival matte
that we cut on our large mat cutter. She has sold many images as have I.

More

We do our own canvas wraps, I make the stretcher frames in the shop.
They are very expensive to sub out so we do it ourselves.

Doing our own prints allows us to print the way we want. It has been a
sometimes frustrating experience but much less expensive and we enjoy
the process. It is like watching a print come to life in a tray in the darkroom, just the modern version. The only prints we sub out are on metal or a medium we are not familiar with. I will print my own till the day
I die.

Best regards to all,

Flyrod

http://va16.smugmug.com/

thumperpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:36 AM   #1650
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:

I've got a love/hate relationship with that beast (edit: just noticed yours is the 4880, we had the 4800 IIRC), I've made hundreds of prints with it and they're great BUT leave it idle for a month and you've got an hour of cleaning. If it's left idle all summer

Just seeing that brings back some painful memories of deadlines and clogged nozzles.

Have you had issues? And how's the 7600 worked out for you? If I got one I'd be getting one of their smaller models (probably closer to the 4800 in size) I'm wary of getting a printer myself since I wouldn't use it too often and the cleaning/wasted ink cleaning it took to get the one at the school working.

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 05-09-2014 at 09:48 AM

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: