User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 4.93 average. Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #166
capt_enduro
tool whore

Oddometer: 191
Thanks for the feedback - I really appreciate it. It helps to know how others see the work. I picked these three because they required some small measure of hardship (i.e. adventure) to capture. All three were taken with my worst lens optically, (an 18-200 VR) racked in to 18mm.

No #1 is a 9-shot pano from Genesee, Colorado - stitched in Photoshop. The shot represents about 180 degrees of view. The blown highlights in the top middle have always bugged me, but this shot wins the most time as my screensaver award. Lots of layers and curves to salvage the sky. It was -10F outside and I had only a short time to get this shot before I had to head back to Denver to catch a flight.

No #2 is for the most part, right out of the camera. I think I tweeked the curves a bit. It is on Fossil Ridge Trail, on Mt. Diablo, California. Waited in the rain for an hour to get the shot. Finally, with the light fading I tested the water resistance of my D200. 17 second exposure.

No #3 had the most work in post. It was taken in half-moon bay, California. High wind, rain and fog all day - and another example where time was running out before I had to head to the airport. For 5 minutes the sky cleared and I was able to pull off a few shots before things closed up again. This is a composite of three images, hence the HDR look. Look close and you can see a slight miss-alignment of the waves in the picture.

Thanks again. More inspiration to keep packing the gear on each adventure.

'09 BMW F800GS
'09 Kawasaki KLX250S
'05 Yamaha TTR230
capt_enduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #167
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,063
Alas, most of my half way decent shots are more accident than intent. What could I have done to improve this one?

Hmmm, I can hear you write "curves" even before I post. OK, is this any better with respect to post processing?

marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:18 PM   #168
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_enduro
Thanks for the feedback - I really appreciate it. It helps to know how others see the work. I picked these three because they required some small measure of hardship (i.e. adventure) to capture. All three were taken with my worst lens optically, (an 18-200 VR) racked in to 18mm.

No #1 is a 9-shot pano from Genesee, Colorado - stitched in Photoshop. The shot represents about 180 degrees of view. The blown highlights in the top middle have always bugged me, but this shot wins the most time as my screensaver award. Lots of layers and curves to salvage the sky. It was -10F outside and I had only a short time to get this shot before I had to head back to Denver to catch a flight.

No #2 is for the most part, right out of the camera. I think I tweeked the curves a bit. It is on Fossil Ridge Trail, on Mt. Diablo, California. Waited in the rain for an hour to get the shot. Finally, with the light fading I tested the water resistance of my D200. 17 second exposure.

No #3 had the most work in post. It was taken in half-moon bay, California. High wind, rain and fog all day - and another example where time was running out before I had to head to the airport. For 5 minutes the sky cleared and I was able to pull off a few shots before things closed up again. This is a composite of three images, hence the HDR look. Look close and you can see a slight miss-alignment of the waves in the picture.

Thanks again. More inspiration to keep packing the gear on each adventure.

Good to know, I have a Fuji S5 Pro which is a D200 body with Fuji guts, now only if I can find the cover for the sync port. I wish those stupid things were attached like on the D300/700.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:18 AM   #169
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms
1) You need to watch out for cropping off the top of the head, also his face is lit on the sides and not the center if he turned a bit towards either side it would help, there is also a soft focus or slight motion blur, and looks like you are pushing the usable ISO limits of your camera.

2) Here too you are pushing the ISO, but I like the lighting on the guys face (but here too it looks soft in the focus) but the girl's face is mostly just noise with light on the hand, you could try and up the contrast or burn it slightly and turn her more into a silhouette which could add some nice mystery into the photo.

3) You have a slight motion blur on one of the hands, and a bit tight crop on the side. As a composition it doesn't speak to me so much in it;s composition but as a moment in your life.

4) You have a lot here, including some background, try focusing on a single element of the bike. You don't need to go extreme (I do ) but bring the viewer into an element or with your shot a landscape for the background could work.

5) I'd try some different angles but the color and idea has lots of promise, I would try to get a more dynamic "portrait" of the tree outside.
Thanks. These are unaltered images compressed by fb.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:32 AM   #170
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Old 03-02-2010, 08:50 AM   #171
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Thanks for your input! What about this one?

Old 03-02-2010, 09:56 AM   #172
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.Snyder

It's too Peachy =)
Old 03-02-2010, 10:56 AM   #173
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,093
Quote:

This made me think of

Also, critique this as well...

And for fun...

Thanks N&V this is fun...
IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
docwells7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:22 AM   #174
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:

I like the tumbleweed, I wish the area in focus was a little closer so I didn't need to go about 1/3 of the way up to get there. The big thing is I am still just looking for something to hold me to the image which is the hardest thing to try and explain what could if you could get the tumbleweed frozen mid air in sharp focus that could be a very interesting visual element.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 03-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #175
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa

The filter here is a bit strong giving it that standard "filtered with photoshop" look, I would play around more since you either want the image to be so well filtered that it pops otherwise make it more subdued to add to the initial image.

Also if you could have a only few more pixels added to the top of that image since right now the top few hairs are cropped off. You don't need much negative space up there but just clear those hairs with a few pixels to spare.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #176
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman
Alas, most of my half way decent shots are more accident than intent. What could I have done to improve this one?

Hmmm, I can hear you write "curves" even before I post. OK, is this any better with respect to post processing?

My critiques are working

You were right on the curves, basically you appoint you have at now is neutral image I would say. Now try pushing it a little bit at a time (save early and often) and see where you can bring with a little more contrast or color.

I would also take a little off the bottom since that part on the bottom left doe not add much to the composition, and you could bring it down a bit from the top to the more detailed cloud band.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #177
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwells7
This made me think of

Also, critique this as well...

And for fun...

Thanks N&V this is fun...
No problem on these 3 images I get the feeling of very sharp crops, with the first image you are angled a slight but too far down, and the left side of the road being so massive and not much on the left gives an unbalanced feeling. I would also try to give a little more room on the right of the mountain. The final bit you don't have control over but look at the clouds before you capture the image and try and line them up a little. I think this image would work better as a horizontal exposure with a little less road in the foreground yet still get the full rock outcrop.

2) This image would be a bit easier to critique at a larger size but here are the things I notice. The little bit of orange in the right side on the hill is a bit distracting, and I feel the position of the house is a bit random. Maybe if you zoomed a little and took out some of the grass which is in the shade and not too interesting visually that could help. The trade off is how far to zoom for the house VS getting as much of the scene as possible to keep that feeling of place.

3) Try zooming out a tiny bit more I feel a little crowded on the top and right side, and a tiny bit on the left with the towel coming close to the edge 1/3 down from the top but this part doesn't bother me too much.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:21 AM   #178
Tallboy
hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer: 12,387
I've been doing quite a bit of thinking about what I need to do to get better exposures. If you all would care to look at a couple shots from the same spot and give some pointers, I'd appreciate it. I am starting to come around on the importance of capturing detail in the shadows...it's hard - and it's much easier to expose them so they are without any detail/blacked out.

2. The this one needs cropped down on the top, I think - and to fit it to an 8x10 print, that's what I do and it comes out better.

3. I like the vertical composition of this one better, but the focus on the windmill is centered too much horizontally for me.

Todd Snider
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:40 PM   #179
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy
I've been doing quite a bit of thinking about what I need to do to get better exposures. If you all would care to look at a couple shots from the same spot and give some pointers, I'd appreciate it. I am starting to come around on the importance of capturing detail in the shadows...it's hard - and it's much easier to expose them so they are without any detail/blacked out.

2. The this one needs cropped down on the top, I think - and to fit it to an 8x10 print, that's what I do and it comes out better.

3. I like the vertical composition of this one better, but the focus on the windmill is centered too much horizontally for me.

This one will be a big pain, just so I can get a better idea what camera are you shooting with and is it Jpeg or RAW (the reason I ask is different sensor sizes allow for more dynamic range, as well as a difference in how they recover shadows or highlights).

I like this location a lot

Old 03-03-2010, 06:01 PM   #180
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

lol.. who put you in charge..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: