Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 4.88 average. Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #241
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft
It's definitely a unique camera to work with, especially with the lenses that were built w/ the on-lens aperture control ring. Pretty fun. It's really perfect if you have low aversion to swinging it over to full-manual. I could do with a better viewfinder though. They used that "porro prism" set-up to get the rangefinder viewfinder placement. It's noticeably "tunnel-ish" compared to the more conventional viewfinders. And it defaults to a 1/30 shutter speed in Av mode...wtf...not perfect for moving targets. Plusses & minuses. The white balance sensor is friggin amazing...I almost never take it off Auto, and when I do, the kelvin adjustment tool is a breeze.

Yep...the P&S can sometimes do a better job hitting the shutterspeeds you need for handheld shots, when you have to stop down a full-sized SLR to F/6-ish to get the foreground & background all in crisp focus.
F6 on 4/3 with a full frame camera you can lose a lot of that high ISO advantage if you need a deep DOF.

I go from 4/3 to APS-C to full frame and it is interesting to experience the strengths of each.

Side note for full frame cameras, I really want a Sony A850 for studio work, 24MP for 1,999 it would be amazing for landscapes, macro, and studio work.

And another one......you never have enough cameras

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #242
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJEEPER
Only thing I want is more!

A tiny bit more sky and some more on the edges, I really like the trees int he foreground.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 03-18-2010, 02:31 PM   #243
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just GO!
Beat me up on this one.....

I would move the bike a bit more centered since it is slightly off, and use curves to really black it out. Also I would do a bit more exposure on the clouds so you can get closer to the absolute white in them. Especially going for this shadow technique you can expose completely for the clouds, and then bring the bike down to black.

Is this 2 images? The reason I ask is the bike is really crisp and the clouds look like they are distorted from an ultra wide angle lens. If not those are some crazy clouds.

I would crop in though since you have vignetting especially in the upper right to get rid of that, and most of the interesting visual information is in the bottom half of the image, the top is just some sporadic clouds.

In just playing around with it's position on my monitor taking that little big off the left and stopping at the end of the crazy cloud really makes it stand out a lot more.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:37 PM   #244
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garand
First with the composition I would take a bit off the left where you have those bits of lightness and then you have the tree as a solid framing element. Also I would take a bit off the top, below the darker branch in the upper right of the image. There are 2 reasons for this, that harsh of a black especially with the sky grabbed my attention and it is a relatively empty section of the image so this is a distraction. Then looking purely at the mountain scene you have a lot of negative space this takes away from it.

In the foreground you did the best you could. Maybe there was a slightly better angle but the lighting on the 2 people just isn't there.

The last bit I am not sure how I feel about and that is the tree which while part of the forest still subtly stands out enough in the center to grab me especially due to that position. Now that I noticed it my eye is drawn there and then the mountain vista is secondary......it could be from looking at the image for too long but watch out for it.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:14 PM   #245
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms
Only thing I want is more!

A tiny bit more sky and some more on the edges, I really like the trees int he foreground.
Thanks, I was battling the glare a bit too, was very bright up there with full sun and snow at altitude.

Here are a few more from the same couple of days, these were all shot last week.

KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:20 PM   #246
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Thanks, I was battling the glare a bit too, was very bright up there with full sun and snow at altitude.

Here are a few more from the same couple of days, these were all shot last week.

I need to jump on a plane and get my ass there ASAP that place is a landscape goldmine.

Instead Saturday I am going to Detroit for a bit over a week...it will be interesting to see what I can get out of there.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:25 PM   #247
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I need to jump on a plane and get my ass there ASAP that place is a landscape goldmine.

Instead Saturday I am going to Detroit for a bit over a week...it will be interesting to see what I can get out of there.
Yeah, it was my first time up there. The Glacier Parkway through Banff, (snow covered right now, but driveable) is over 100 miles of insane landscape on both sides of the road, and rolls right up into Jasper Nat Park, which is just as cool.

I've been to most American national parks, and this group of parks rivals anything we have. Very lightly traveled too, at least this time of year.

Only negative I can say, is that Canada doesn't do as much to make the parks easy to navigate, i.e. pull-offs, etc. Always feel like your car is going to get hit on the shoulder when you leave it to explore.
Old 03-18-2010, 03:27 PM   #248
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Old 03-18-2010, 03:29 PM   #249
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Old 03-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #250
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Yeah, it was my first time up there. The Glacier Parkway through Banff, (snow covered right now, but driveable) is over 100 miles of insane landscape on both sides of the road, and rolls right up into Jasper Nat Park, which is just as cool.

I've been to most American national parks, and this group of parks rivals anything we have. Very lightly traveled too, at least this time of year.

Only negative I can say, is that Canada doesn't do as much to make the parks easy to navigate, i.e. pull-offs, etc. Always feel like your car is going to get hit on the shoulder when you leave it to explore.
I can't say anything beyond amazing for that landscape.

I haven't been to too many myself but my father moved down by Shenandoah National Park in VA so next month I'll be checking it out.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:53 PM   #251
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oh, and if anyone is playing the 'guess the camera' game, those were all taken with a Lumix FZ35...

Here is the glacier up in Jasper ; almost impossible to get a good shot though. Blowing snow, crazy cloud cover with bright sun shining through, but all around its ancient solid ice with 50mph straight line winds blowing over it for the refrigerator effect

Haven't really figured out how to get a stunning shot of all white and grey and blowing snow, but its a magnificent spot. Feels like you've hiked to the end of the world.

(Between the mounds on either side, the low spot is all ice)
Old 03-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #252
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Glacier Parkway, runs North and South through Banff -

Old 03-18-2010, 03:55 PM   #253
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Oh, and if anyone is playing the 'guess the camera' game, those were all taken with a Lumix FZ35...

Here is the glacier up in Jasper ; almost impossible to get a good shot though. Blowing snow, crazy cloud cover with bright sun shining through, but all around its ancient solid ice with 50mph straight line winds blowing over it for the refrigerator effect

Haven't really figured out how to get a stunning shot of all white and grey and blowing snow, but its a magnificent spot. Feels like you've hiked to the end of the world.

(Between the mounds on either side, the low spot is all ice)

You have amazing range especially in the highlights.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:22 PM   #254
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

You have amazing range especially in the highlights.
It's probably time to move on into a DSLR of some sort ; I've always just tried to stay as compact as possible for on-the-bike purposes, and that FZ35 does a pretty good job for a 12MP P&S.

I don't miss a DSLR too often, but miss the big sensor when the sun starts to go down for sure...

This is the cam I'm rolling with right now.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:27 PM   #255
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: