Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 03:10 PM   #271
capt_enduro
tool whore

Oddometer: 190
Been a while, so I'll throw two more into the mix:

Took me two weeks to train that dragonfly to land on my finger (he liked the antenna on my truck). When he did, I tore off as many shots with the 105mm micro as I could before he got tired of being a model.

'09 BMW F800GS
'09 Kawasaki KLX250S
'05 Yamaha TTR230
capt_enduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #272
Bubba Satori
Finding my way home

Oddometer: 42,086
Critique.

Bubba Satori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:46 PM   #273
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms
Some quick thoughts on each:

I would move the camera up a littler here, have less of the out of focus foreground and give a little breathing room for the top of the image where you have a key element bumped up against the absoluter edge.
Definitely a good idea. I shot a bunch of different compositions on those flowers, but they were moving around in that basin from the breeze, & I ended up liking the arrangement on this shot the best, even though the handle hangs off the side. I think I do want to crop out some of that fuzzy foreground. The DoF is definitely pretty tight on these lil cameras.

Quote:
I try to avoid this "looking down" at a scene, if you move the camera down and leveled off you would have them, less empty water in the foreground, and than the full landscape in the background,
I remember composing that one & thinking "well, I could have 2/3rds of the image be sky, or 2/3rds be water...the sky was boring...so I chose water; there's a certain "thickness" to the water that I liked. Couldn't get lower...on a boat. I wish I put them on the left side of the frame.

Quote:
This shot was zoomed in a little too far as you start cropping out the subject, in a situation like this I would either go for a vertical composition and get the face/arm pulling, or keep it horizontal and zoom out a little....possible a bit more to give context to his work.
I took that shot w/o looking at either the man or the camera. :) I just didn't want to draw attention to myself.

Quote:
I like the idea here but you have the issue that you can't properly expose for the sky and subject, a fill flash would be perfect but might not be appropriate in this situation.
Yeah, I would've been happy just w/ a silhouette of the monk, or the slightest hint of saffron in the darkness. I might try playing w/ the contrast on that.

Quote:
The thing that gets my eye for this is I want it to be a largely geometric image but the building is slightly off center, I see you were going for the fence posts, just having them staggered like that takes away from the abstract shape/perfect example of perspective my mind is seeing from the building.
I can't remember why it's off center. I think I was kicking it a little off center just for the hell of it.

There's so much pattern cloning done on that image it's ridiculous. They had huge blue tarps over a big chunk of that building around the scaffolding. I kept wondering why they didn't use brown colored tarps? :)

Quote:
You are slightly off axis, rotate to level, and bring out the sky some more, this would also have been a great place for a panoramic by the looks of this 1 frame.
I have about 20 pictures of the washington monument from last weekend, and I can safely say for sure that I can't hold a camera level if my life depended on it. Absolutely *none* of my pictures actually kept the building vertical.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:57 AM   #274
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 34,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft
Definitely a good idea. I shot a bunch of different compositions on those flowers, but they were moving around in that basin from the breeze, & I ended up liking the arrangement on this shot the best, even though the handle hangs off the side. I think I do want to crop out some of that fuzzy foreground. The DoF is definitely pretty tight on these lil cameras.

I remember composing that one & thinking "well, I could have 2/3rds of the image be sky, or 2/3rds be water...the sky was boring...so I chose water; there's a certain "thickness" to the water that I liked. Couldn't get lower...on a boat. I wish I put them on the left side of the frame.

I took that shot w/o looking at either the man or the camera. :) I just didn't want to draw attention to myself.

Yeah, I would've been happy just w/ a silhouette of the monk, or the slightest hint of saffron in the darkness. I might try playing w/ the contrast on that.

I can't remember why it's off center. I think I was kicking it a little off center just for the hell of it.

There's so much pattern cloning done on that image it's ridiculous. They had huge blue tarps over a big chunk of that building around the scaffolding. I kept wondering why they didn't use brown colored tarps? :)

I have about 20 pictures of the washington monument from last weekend, and I can safely say for sure that I can't hold a camera level if my life depended on it. Absolutely *none* of my pictures actually kept the building vertical.
What kind of camera is it? Some DSLR's have grids for the viewfinders, and P&S's can have them overlay while you compose the image.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:01 AM   #275
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
What kind of camera is it? Some DSLR's have grids for the viewfinders, and P&S's can have them overlay while you compose the image.
I think it was a G7 for most of those shots. It definitely shows a grid. And my e-p1 even has a fancy schmancy level. I guess you have to pay attention to them for them to work. How friggin' inconvenient.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #276
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,254
KSJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #277
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Old 08-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #278
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Old 08-02-2010, 11:16 AM   #279
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Old 08-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #280
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Old 08-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #281
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Old 08-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #282
KSJEEPER
Beastly Adventurer

Old 08-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #283
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_enduro
Been a while, so I'll throw two more into the mix:

Took me two weeks to train that dragonfly to land on my finger (he liked the antenna on my truck). When he did, I tore off as many shots with the 105mm micro as I could before he got tired of being a model.

That's gotta be the closest shot I've ever seen of one of those little monsters.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:00 AM   #284
garrett the nerd
Sprocket Protector

Oddometer: 866
resized, but otheriwse straight out of a borrowed point and shoot. I was impressed with myself
Old 08-03-2010, 12:07 PM   #285
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 34,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft
That's gotta be the closest shot I've ever seen of one of those little monsters.
You just need to move in very slowly:

And the guy resting on my friends hand:

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: