User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 09:58 AM   #16
Tallboy
hiding in the tallgrass

Oddometer: 12,385
How about a few looks at a place I like to practice on? Willing to take any hints for improved composition/exposure.

1)

2) More recent shot - different time of the year, sun was more in the SW (photo taken - road is a North/South road, facing North)

3) Last months full moon - playing around with off camera flash. 5sec @ f/4

Like I said - this is a place close by I like to experiment around with.

Todd Snider
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:04 AM   #17
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav
I'll play...

Critique

First the technical aspects, it looks like you have 3 different light sources, florescent I am guessing on the foreground structure, incandescent for the town, and the background is natural. Each has a different temperature making the different "colors" of the light look very busy. This is a very difficult situation to make work.

Also I don't know if it was your Jpeg compression or the high ISO but their is a good bit of noise, so if it is that way in the original file set the ISO lower manually and a tripod or bracing yourself might be needed.

As for the composition it looks slightly tilted clockwise (if you have a grid you can turn on that helps a lot). And you have this interesting structure on the bottom but it's placement and the amount shown don't bring it to the forefront. I think if you tilted the camera down to just ave the structure and town it could create a stronger image. It would make stronger elements for the viewers eye to catch.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #18
snoid
100% Okie

Oddometer: 28,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy

love the last one. need to move back and get more sky in... sky is the strong part of the image. also... don't get chintzy with the flash pops. carry a piece of black foam core with you(bigger the better), walk the scene giving the barn multiple pops(keep your distance from the flash to barn equal to even out the exposure), hide the flash from the camera's eye with the piece of foam core each time you pop the barn.
snoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:11 AM   #19
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
How about a few looks at a place I like to practice on? Willing to take any hints for improved composition/exposure.

1)

2) More recent shot - different time of the year, sun was more in the SW (photo taken - road is a North/South road, facing North)

3) Last months full moon - playing around with off camera flash. 5sec @ f/4

I really like the location, the first thing is I would try a little bit longer focal length and move back a little for a similar composition. The reason for this is the distortion caused is reaching a little bit too extreme.

For the compositions I like the 3rd on the best by far, the 1st is alright but here the wide angle distortion takes away a bit more than the others, and the middle one looks more like a standard photo. It looks like you are trying all sorts of angles which is great and keep at it. Get on the ground if you have to but once you find it I see a possibly strong series if you can mark where you take the photo and take the photo during all times of the day/year. It would create one much like the different water lily paintings by Monet.

Finally I like the last image if you could keep that light highlight but go to one extreme or the other, bring it down and light the background more, or black out the rest.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 02-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #20
Tallboy
hiding in the tallgrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoid
love the last one. need to move back and get more sky in... sky is the strong part of the image. also... don't get chintzy with the flash pops. carry a piece of black foam core with you(bigger the better), walk the scene giving the barn multiple pops(keep your distance from the flash to barn equal to even out the exposure), hide the flash from the camera's eye with the piece of foam core each time you pop the barn.
this was really my first experience with off camera flash, but it was limited to my SB-400 tethered by a TTL cord, so I was limited to about a 4' radius. I've since gotten an SB-600, so I'll be able to fire by button on the flash and use my D300s in commander mode. I'm also awaiting the delivery of a set of radio triggers. I'd like to put a flash or two inside the building to fire and light up the door and spaces in the boards. Again...experimenting.

Thanks for the ideas to try!

Todd Snider
Old 02-25-2010, 10:13 AM   #21
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
better comp than the first, still lacking any strong subject to draw the eye in. washed out on the right. try same scene under different lighting conditions. eg; a stormy sky could make either of these photos much better.
I agree, when looking at the image my eye is jumping between the small details with no steady place to look.

You want to guide the viewers eye around and have that detail that keeps them in the image.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:15 AM   #22
snoid
100% Okie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms
I think if you tilted the camera down to just ave the structure and town it could create a stronger image. It would make stronger elements for the viewers eye to catch.
i agree. moving the perspective down slightly would put the horizon resting at the lower edge of the upper third and create stronger leading lines/framing by the glass and hard structural elements at the bottom of the frame.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #23
Tallboy
hiding in the tallgrass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms
I really like the location, the first thing is I would try a little bit longer focal length and move back a little for a similar composition. The reason for this is the distortion caused is reaching a little bit too extreme.

For the compositions I like the 3rd on the best by far, the 1st is alright but here the wide angle distortion takes away a bit more than the others, and the middle one looks more like a standard photo. It looks like you are trying all sorts of angles which is great and keep at it. Get on the ground if you have to but once you find it I see a possibly strong series if you can mark where you take the photo and take the photo during all times of the day/year. It would create one much like the different water lily paintings by Monet.

Finally I like the last image if you could keep that light highlight but go to one extreme or the other, bring it down and light the background more, or black out the rest.
I like the idea of calenderizing this place...while it is still there. I caught wind that another local photog (wildlife) was going to buy it from the owner to use the wood for framing.

The first was shot with my 10-20mm ultrawide lens...it was new to me and I was pretty fascinated with the new lower zoom range.

Will try and move back and use a longer focal length - if I understand correctly - this will flatten the image essentially?

Todd Snider
Old 02-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #24
snoid
100% Okie

Quote:
this was really my first experience with off camera flash, but it was limited to my SB-400 tethered by a TTL cord, so I was limited to about a 4' radius. I've since gotten an SB-600, so I'll be able to fire by button on the flash and use my D300s in commander mode. I'm also awaiting the delivery of a set of radio triggers. I'd like to put a flash or two inside the building to fire and light up the door and spaces in the boards. Again...experimenting.

Thanks for the ideas to try!
it's great to have a shot nearby to play and experiment with... you can really learn a lot that way. you'll get it... don't give up.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #25
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 2,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257bob

Is this Maine, near Schoodic Penninsula?
Old 02-25-2010, 10:19 AM   #26
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 257bob
Try to avoid the horizon right in the middle.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:23 AM   #27
snoid
100% Okie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr
Try to avoid the horizon right in the middle.
yup... crop to just above the top of the lighthouse for a better pic.

the rule of thirds really does work magic for landscapes. i'm not saying you must use it all the time and there are instances when it must be tossed but for people without a natural sense of composition, i strongly suggest you use it.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:28 AM   #28
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
I like the idea of calenderizing this place...while it is still there. I caught wind that another local photog (wildlife) was going to buy it from the owner to use the wood for framing.

The first was shot with my 10-20mm ultrawide lens...it was new to me and I was pretty fascinated with the new lower zoom range.

Will try and move back and use a longer focal length - if I understand correctly - this will flatten the image essentially?
Yup, as you go wider the distortion grows more and more. I went through the same phase though when I got my 9-18 Olympus lens (18-36mm in 35mm).

Old 02-25-2010, 10:28 AM   #29
fyrfytr
B.U.F.F.

Quote:
yup... crop to just above the top of the lighthouse for a better pic.

the rule of thirds really does work magic for landscapes. i'm not saying you must use it all the time and there are instances when it must be tossed but for people without a natural sense of composition, i strongly suggest you use it.
For Instance...

I have posted this before in TE's thread, but it's one of my best photos, IMHO. Note the sky is about a third, the mountains and beach are about a third, and the foreground is about a third. The fence in the foreground helps to draw the viewer into the image as well. YMMV. The road on the right does detract a bit.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:35 AM   #30
snoid
100% Okie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrfytr
For Instance...

I have posted this before in TE's thread, but it's one of my best photos, IMHO. Note the sky is about a third, the mountains and beach are about a third, and the foreground is about a third. The fence in the foreground helps to draw the viewer into the image as well. YMMV. The road on the right does detract a bit.
good example. and a perfect illustration why we photogs should all drive a cherry picker. if you could've hoisted yerself another 15 feet in the air, the road surface winding around the mountains in the distance would've opened up to the camera, and created a most incredible leading line to pull the viewer's eye through the entire scene. the road on the right would suddenly be a needed element in the photo as a place for the eye to begin its journey.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: