Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 32 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 07:29 PM   #376
FLYING EYEBALL
out of step

Oddometer: 10,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
I saw the pic on a 27 inch IMac in Best Buy with that sweet HD monitor and to be honest, it wasn't blown out.

I'll own one of those in the very near future.

I looked at an imac a couple weeks ago with the 30" monitor...bout made a mess in my pants.

One of those sweet little macbook pros would be sweet out at the Track.

I like this set-up.

my photos http://jskustoms.smugmug.com/

save yourself some $ with my smuggy discount code qvMaWy1bTFU7c
FLYING EYEBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:06 PM   #377
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,538
Quote:
thanks!

ISO = 1000
F18
Shutter 250

I'm convinced ISO is the key to getting good results.
ISO 1000 on a D700 might as well be 100 for most other cameras I'll be doing photos of a Polo match with mine tomorrow, should be interesting.

Back to the image, I am surprised about the F18 part in that the rider is so clear but the back end of the bike and boots are blurry maybe the focus point was well in front of the rider, about all I can think of at that small of an aperture.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:25 PM   #378
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms
ISO 1000 on a D700 might as well be 100 for most other cameras I'll be doing photos of a Polo match with mine tomorrow, should be interesting.

Back to the image, I am surprised about the F18 part in that the rider is so clear but the back end of the bike and boots are blurry maybe the focus point was well in front of the rider, about all I can think of at that small of an aperture.
I never claimed I knew what I was doing.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:29 PM   #379
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
No worries, which AF setting do you use?

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 08-13-2010, 08:35 AM   #380
thomasona
older than he looks

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
NikonsandVStroms said it already, but ISO 1000 on a D700 is no problem at all. I use a 5DMkII at work and regularly shoot in the ISO 2500 range without even thinking about it. Full frame sensors are wonderful. Flying Eyeball has a point, though, that most lenses are at their sharpest in the f/8-f/11 range.

It's all just armchair coaching at this point, though -- it's a killer shot. You obviously have an eye and know enough about the technical aspects of photography to get a good image.
thomasona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 12:52 PM   #381
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasona
NikonsandVStroms said it already, but ISO 1000 on a D700 is no problem at all. I use a 5DMkII at work and regularly shoot in the ISO 2500 range without even thinking about it. Full frame sensors are wonderful. Flying Eyeball has a point, though, that most lenses are at their sharpest in the f/8-f/11 range.

It's all just armchair coaching at this point, though -- it's a killer shot. You obviously have an eye and know enough about the technical aspects of photography to get a good image.
Holicrap...look at the friggin dynamic range the D700 has to play with in
RAW.

jeez...that's like off the chart!
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:01 PM   #382
Mav
Something witty...

Oddometer: 3,709
I don't think I posted this one yet:

Hi res here

-------------------------
All the gear.. no idea!
Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:43 PM   #383
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft
Holicrap...look at the friggin dynamic range the D700 has to play with in
RAW.

jeez...that's like off the chart!
Check out the D3x/Fuji S5 Pro

Old 08-13-2010, 09:48 PM   #384
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:

the fuji has an awesome range... ;-)
Old 08-13-2010, 11:16 PM   #385
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,713
With the dynamic range of sensor tech being what it is and is becoming, I can see where ISO along with F stops and shutter speed will be set not by what a light meter says but by what the photographer needs for the shot. And of course it would be 'ideal' if they were controlled by voice.

For instance say 'I need high shutter speed and a depth of field from here to there' and the ISO would accommodate those settings based upon available light. Of course there will be limits to how far you could stretch the available light to meet those needs but in daylight with a suitably high ISO, shutter speed and depth of field won't be held hostage anywhere like they are now.

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 08:14 AM   #386
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjen
With the dynamic range of sensor tech being what it is and is becoming, I can see where ISO along with F stops and shutter speed will be set not by what a light meter says but by what the photographer needs for the shot. And of course it would be 'ideal' if they were controlled by voice.

For instance say 'I need high shutter speed and a depth of field from here to there' and the ISO would accommodate those settings based upon available light. Of course there will be limits to how far you could stretch the available light to meet those needs but in daylight with a suitably high ISO, shutter speed and depth of field won't be held hostage anywhere like they are now.

JJ
That's come about (except the voice part), and I have to say, I like the feature. The newer bodies have the "auto ISO" option. It allows you to set the "too noisy" limit, and then sets ISO as needed under the limit. You can, of course, choose your shutterspeed/aperture combinations within that envelope right up to the point where there is no alternative. A bit of thinking is needed to deduce how best to use the range that you have available. When I'm in shutter priority, I like to switch it over to auto ISO as well.
Old 08-14-2010, 08:36 AM   #387
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

That fuji is just nuts. NUTS! And it's been around forever! Looks like a really unique sensor. APS-c sized CCD is odd enough. Dual-diode photosites? who does that? Seriously unique approach. I always loved Fuji's CCD sensor technology in their f30 p&s. Years ago, I had wondered how CCD would fair in larger sizes. I guess I have my answer. weather-sealed Nikon body...very cool.

People seem to ding it for its strong AA filter. Since I'm almost always downsampling full-size images, I don't think strong AA filters would particularly bother me. Then again...it's only an effective 6mp image. Even for me, that's cuttin' it close.

DriveShaft screwed with this post 08-14-2010 at 08:53 AM
Old 08-14-2010, 08:53 AM   #388
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft

That fuji is just nuts. NUTS! And it's been around forever! Looks like a really unique sensor. APS-c sized CCD is odd enough. Dual-diode photosites? who does that? Seriously unique approach. I always loved Fuji's CCD sensor technology in their f30 p&s. Years ago, I had wondered how CCD would fair in larger sizes. I guess I have my answer. weather-sealed Nikon body...very cool.

People seem to ding it for its strong AA filter. Since I'm practically never using full size images, I don't think strong AA filters would particularly bother me. Then again...it's only an effective 6mp image. Even for me, that's cuttin' it close.

I have made 16x20 print no problem and damn it is one sexy camera:

And switching from the D700 to the S5 is great since their controls are almost identical.

B&W's from the Fuji are amazing, and while the D700 can do them it takes A LOT more work:

But doing landscape work or portraits I'll usually have both around my neck which gets some interesting looks

Old 08-14-2010, 08:57 AM   #389
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav
I don't think I posted this one yet:

Hi res here
I would move the composition over the the right and down a little so you don't cut off the sign as harshly, and you cut out the sky which can draw the viewers eye since it is bright compared to most of the composition. Also I might make the background a darker.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:00 AM   #390
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Random note: damn polo games are hard to shoot all the action is beyond a football field away many times, and you need really good AF on the lens. I thought of the set up needed and a D300 with a 70-200 F2.8 and a teleconverter would do it....but considering the people playing have 7 horses each about as much as a farkled out GS or more that isn't too much money in the eyes of that game

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: