EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:35 PM   #468
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by geode
fixst
That's what I was thinking, but I don't know how long his lens is.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
Old 08-24-2010, 07:07 PM   #469
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
and it wouldn't take much of a flash to fill in those shadows. Since there seems to be no one in front of Flug I'm guessing he was rather close to the action.

Do you remember the "old days" when you were limited to 1/60 for a flash use shutter speed?
I don't remember them, but I started out with their equipment.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #470
derangedhermit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilGenius
That's what I was thinking, but I don't know how long his lens is.
EXIF data says 122mm, no distance info. He uses a D700 (full frame). From looking at the picture, I'd guess 25-30 feet.

But I'm very rusty at such estimates.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:42 PM   #471
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit
EXIF data says 122mm, no distance info. He uses a D700 (full frame). From looking at the picture, I'd guess 25-30 feet.

But I'm very rusty at such estimates.
Yup, a decent flash will fill that.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:50 PM   #472
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,645
Quote:
Too much shadow.

How close where you?

pretty close. it was a picture of a friend. I hitched a ride to that race with 106, his little brother 105, and his dad, 107, so it was just a shooting for no other reason than he was passing by, but having been there in the shade I like the result.. the bikes looked cool on the trailer, 105, 106, 107.

nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:05 PM   #473
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
pretty close. it was a picture of a friend. I hitched a ride to that race with 106, his little brother 105, and his dad, 107, so it was just a shooting for no other reason than he was passing by, but having been there in the shade I like the result.. the bikes looked cool on the trailer, 105, 106, 107.
Gotcha, I dunno how much better a fill flash would make that pic though.

To get the best result someone would have to be flashing them from their front instead of almost over the shoulder like this angle.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:08 PM   #474
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Gotcha, I dunno how much better a fill flash would make that pic though.

To get the best result someone would have to be flashing them from their front instead of almost over the shoulder like this angle.
I've got an SB900, I used it few times shooting mx with good results, I think I even had it with me that day but it never came out of the bag.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:30 AM   #475
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,353
Quote:
Okay, since you're taking questions ...

What cameras should I consider when buying my first serious digital camera?

Now, my background, shot as a USCG photog many decades ago, did aviation photography too using 35mm, 6x6, and 4x5. Also some 16mm motion pic film for them. Also earned my living as a photog for abunch of years.

Since then my photography has been for personal use / fun. My $$ came from another occupation.

I love B&W, used to read the Zone System for fun, shot Tri-X and KM as my regular film loads. Pan-X or Plus-X as needed. Ektachrome when I wanted rich greens. Processed my own E-4 and E-6, Cibachrome, and B&W prints up to 20x24.

My current 35mm gear includes a pair of Canon F-1 bodies, 17mm f4, 24mm, 35mm, 50mm Macro, 85mm f1.8, 105mm f2.5, 200mm f2.8 lenses. A Nikonos III with both the above water lenses.

Available light photography to me = whatever is available, up to and including studio strobes. Exisiting light photography means no additional light sources used by the photog. I'm an exisiting light guy. Rarely use fill flash. More of the Cartier Bresson sort of guy, not so much of a Richard Avedon guy. Tri-X pushed was my normal setting and processing.

I want a digi to take on the bike, but don't want to end up with a slew of prime glass, both because it'll get damaged, and I don't want to invest at that level right now. I also camp, so the camera has to be somewhat rugged / water resistant / dust resistant. It should have a hot shoe. I also ride endurance rallies, so it needs to have a removable memory card, has to shoot 640x480 resolution, and have the capacity to have date/time imbedded in the image.

I want to be able to shoot manual settings, but I don't want to end up with some ridiculously complex camera that takes 2 hrs to program each shot.

I'm thinking I want to be able to shoot RAW as well as JPEG.

I'm not helplessly loyal to Canon, but those F-1s have been awful good to me. So has the Nikonos.

Thoughts?
All cameras will have date/time and shooting information in the image in the EXIF embedded in the file, Windows 7 and OSX can read these right away but there are programs for other OS's.

I would say no to the Rebel XS off the bat due to it A) being flimsy and B) no video.

That second part is important though since the only cameras in that price range that have video are rather flimsy.

So if you want all in one you're pretty much stuck with the G11, or another option is the LX3 or if you can find one since it is just coming out the LX4 from Panasonic, this gives you a 24 VS 28mm wide angle and seeing how you had a 24 and a 17 this could be a big feature for you.

Now if you can go without video or are willing to buy a 90 dollar little point and shoot to handle it (something I would recommend since even small DSLR's are sometimes too big) your best bet is Olympus. They have the smallest lenses, but their consumer grade lenses are also the highest quality/and offer more features like a pedal lens hood/real focus ring (on Nikon/Canon 18-55's you turn the front element itself to focus). The telephoto which in 35mm is 80-300 is about 100 dollars and smaller than the Canon 18-55 IS.

It also gives you a lot more control unlike the Canon/Nikon models which those companies hold back customizable settings so you will want the next model up.

And the body itself is small/feels a lot sturdier, and there are more direct controls than other entry level cameras so less time in menus trying to change ISO, white balance, etc..

Now if you need video the lens selection is a bit less but you could get a micro 4/3 Olympus like the EP-2 or EP-1 since they basically are E-620's with video and no mirror.

Also with AF the G11 will be the slowest IIRC then the EP-1/2 which have improved but still have a ways to go (all 3 use contrast detect AF which is slower/less accurate in low light) the traditional DSLR's use phase detect systems.

And now that I've laid out all that info:

G11 = needs to be shot at low ISO/has a narrower dynamic range.

Canon Rebel XS = crippled in features/no video/flimsy

E-620 = lots of features/no video/but small size for a real viewfinder and faster phase detect AF.

EP1/2 = decent AF speed/lots of features/video/but a smaller and more expensive lens selection.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:13 AM   #476
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,256
Quote:
I've got an SB900, I used it few times shooting mx with good results, I think I even had it with me that day but it never came out of the bag.
If you shot them in RAW, it looks like there's a good amount of shadow detail that you can push brighter. easier than whipping out a flash in 0.2 sec.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:54 AM   #477
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 37,353
Quote:
Thanx.

What do you think about a G10 vs a G11?

I looked around online, there are still G10s available NIB.

I read a slew of reports last night, if I understood things correctly the major difference between them is the G10 14 mp sensor vs the G11 10 mp sensor.

I don't care about video, so not having it is a plus to me.
The 10 MP sensor is a lot better for even ISO 400, the G10 is good at base ISO and then quickly deteriorates.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #478
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft
If you shot them in RAW, it looks like there's a good amount of shadow detail that you can push brighter. easier than whipping out a flash in 0.2 sec.

Raw files are too freaking big you'd fill up an 8 gig card in like less than 100 pics?
Old 08-25-2010, 07:21 PM   #479
derangedhermit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,947
Quote:
Raw files are too freaking big you'd fill up an 8 gig card in like less than 100 pics?
Dude, you're off to a good start:
D700 - check
SB900 - check
32GB CF - $200 (1x32 or 2X16, Lexar or Sandisk for pricing purposes)
Wide/std zoom - $1000 24-120 F/4
Tele zoom - tbd
Maybe a bigger photo bag - $150
Maybe Aperture - $167

Now you're talking.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:50 PM   #480
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by derangedhermit
32GB CF - $200 (1x32 or 2X16, Lexar or Sandisk for pricing purposes)
Wide/std zoom - $1000 24-120 F/4

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: