Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 34 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 09:40 PM   #481
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
Raw files are too freaking big you'd fill up an 8 gig card in like less than 100 pics?
Tell me about it. I only record RAW if I know I intend to recover highlights/lowlights, or if someone's paying me. That's rare.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:28 PM   #482
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,117
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #483
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 38,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug
Raw files are too freaking big you'd fill up an 8 gig card in like less than 100 pics?
I think it is close to 300, they have lossless compression as an option.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:53 PM   #484
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft
Tell me about it. I only record RAW if I know I intend to recover highlights/lowlights, or if someone's paying me. That's rare.
I do if it is a serious shot with Nikon, the sensor itself is great but the processing of both Canon and Nikon sucks next to Fuji and Olympus.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 01-04-2011, 06:34 PM   #485
Klasjm
R100gs

Oddometer: 2,245
Cool2 .................................................. ...........critique

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Post images for critique.

Would like some critique on my ice riding photos with my new to me, old school DSLR Nikon D200. Most shots are ISO 100, metering spot, many shots at F10, shutter 1/500exposure -1.0, Sharpness high, Saturation enhanced,
or 1/320 F8 exposure =/- 0 Shot in Programed, but Custom and Shooting modes set for sports.

It was getting cold . . . many shots were taken laying on the ice

I am going out this weekend and would like some hints to settings and ideas for the weekend. I am not sure if it will be sunny or cloudy, so various ideas would be appreciated.

Here are two riders coming into and leaving a turn.

Slideshow below:

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="800" height="800" id="ssidx">

Klasjm screwed with this post 01-20-2011 at 07:53 PM
Klasjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:38 PM   #486
RobbieO
Banned

Oddometer: 8,161
Has anyone tried the Gary Fong colapsible light diffuser?
I saw one over the Christmas holidays, and after seeing the results, IMMEDIATELY bought one.....

Look for the shadows on the back wall (Everything was shot on auto, with the flash set on TTL -1/3 stop)

Point and shoot!

Shouldn't the shadow of his salute be on his face????

RobbieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:08 PM   #487
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,251
I have one. I prefer to bounce off a low ceiling with something like the rogue flashbender (mini review) to bounce some light forward when using on camera flash. I use the Gary Fong thing when there's nothing to bounce the light. I don't use it more often as the light tends to be pretty flat. Also, don't know if it makes any difference but I use it with the dome down, not up.

And a note to self: do not hold camera by the speedlite attached to the hot-shoe. The speedlite hot-shoe mount just might be made of plastic and break under the weight of the camera.

The camera is actually OK (I was sitting down when it let go). The speedlite will cost at least $114 to fix.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #488
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klasjm View Post

Would like some critique on my ice riding photos with my new to me, old school DSLR Nikon D200. Most shots are ISO 100, metering spot, many shots at F10, shutter 1/500exposure -1.0, Sharpness high, Saturation enhanced,
or 1/320 F8 exposure =/- 0 Shot in Programed, but Custom and Shooting modes set for sports.

It was getting cold . . . many shots were taken laying on the ice

I am going out this weekend and would like some hints to settings and ideas for the weekend. I am not sure if it will be sunny or cloudy, so various ideas would be appreciated.

Here are two riders coming into and leaving a turn.

Slideshow below:

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="800" height="800" id="ssidx">

The big thing about the photos you chose to put up that I noticed was a ton of negative space:

This is going a bit too far but I am guessing that the big reason for it is to show the ice. My suggestion would be to shoot it horizontally still but off to a side (using the grid in the D200 would help for these compositions) and then crop after the fact to something closer to 4:5 instead of the 2:3 it is captured at.

Shooting wise the big thing I would work on is panning, and instead of using the spot metering since if you are at 1 corner it will be pretty similar lighting just do a few test shots to get the right exposure in manual mode at a chosen shutter speed. Now start with a faster one and slowly work your way down adjusting the aperture or ISO to keep the exposure the same (for every click slower give it one higher aperture or lower ISO) and do a quick test shot just to be sure. And do a bunch per shutter speed, think of the next time as a learning experience and if you get a good shot it is just a bonus.

Then you can play around with having the bike in different parts of the frame and see which compositions you like the best.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:38 PM   #489
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
I have one. I prefer to bounce off a low ceiling with something like the rogue flashbender (mini review) to bounce some light forward when using on camera flash. I use the Gary Fong thing when there's nothing to bounce the light. I don't use it more often as the light tends to be pretty flat. Also, don't know if it makes any difference but I use it with the dome down, not up.

And a note to self: do not hold camera by the speedlite attached to the hot-shoe. The speedlite hot-shoe mount just might be made of plastic and break under the weight of the camera.

The camera is actually OK (I was sitting down when it let go). The speedlite will cost at least $114 to fix.
I'm still using note cards bent in all sorts of ways but when I can really get to using a flash again with the weight a nice diffuser is on my list and that seems to have a good effect to it.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:28 PM   #490
AerialCameras
Awkward Boner

Oddometer: 1,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
I'm still using note cards bent in all sorts of ways but when I can really get to using a flash again with the weight a nice diffuser is on my list and that seems to have a good effect to it.
I just picked up a tokina 11-16 and shot this Saturday with no flash. Would a diffuser help with the shadows and not vingnette? My thought was to make this work maybe use a slave flash down low.

I ain't had no fun in London since the Hammersmith Palais
AerialCameras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:10 PM   #491
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,916
Quote:
Originally Posted by AerialFilm1 View Post
My thought was to make this work maybe use a slave flash down low.
That, or flip the camera upside down.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #492
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
I just picked up a tokina 11-16 and shot this Saturday with no flash. Would a diffuser help with the shadows and not vingnette? My thought was to make this work maybe use a slave flash down low.

A diffuser and weak fill flash could help since outside the cockpit is so bright to bring out the interior a bit, but if the vignetting is due to the lens you should shoot with a smaller aperture since there would always be a drop off to the corners. The weaker the better, one thing you don't want to happen is a reflection on those glass instrument panels from your flash, no matter where you have the slave flash you will be fighting this.

Also I'd get some sort of level because being slightly off with a ultra wide angle will create distortions which can't really be fixed in post processing.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:08 PM   #493
EvilGenius
1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer: 20,319
Quote:

Want.

"Never bring a Nerf gun to a shovel fight." - My Brother
EvilGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #494
LongWays
Skiing up a hill...

Oddometer: 5,181
Quote:
I just picked up a tokina 11-16...

Just got one of those too

Took a second panicky look at the owner's manual when the AF wasn't AF-ing... moving the clutch forward and backwards actually means in and out
Old 01-05-2011, 07:35 PM   #495
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,719
Quote:

Ok so I just gotta ask, what is that? My guess is a blimp or dirigible of some sort.

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590

johnjen screwed with this post 01-05-2011 at 07:52 PM
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: