Old 01-18-2011, 08:19 PM   #496
Klasjm
R100gs

Oddometer: 2,229

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
Post images for critique.
2011Southwestern Lake Winnebago, Fond Du Lac, WI

F5.6, speed 1500, iso 100, metering spot, aperture priority, exposure bias -1 ev, cropped

Klasjm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:00 PM   #497
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Old 01-19-2011, 05:33 AM   #498
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.Snyder View Post
I like this one a lot just 2 little things.

I wish the area in focus was a little closer to include the head, naturally my eye goes there first and it is just that little bit out of focus to look off. But you have amazing detail in the body so this is not a huge thing.

For the composition this part is hard but I think a little bit more to the right. The reason is right now the antenna is pretty close to the left edge not leaving much negative space feeling a bit cramped. Even though it is technically centered looking at it I feel you could do put it slightly off and since the detail of the grasshopper is all on the left side it would seem centered since the rear of the bug is pretty simple so the most detailed area would be in the front. But for this the focus would have to be moved up.

Thinking some more just moving back a tiny bit would give that breathing room at the left edge of the frame and it would make the depth of field a little bit wider so more of the grasshopper is in focus.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:57 AM   #499
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klasjm View Post

2011Southwestern Lake Winnebago, Fond Du Lac, WI

F5.6, speed 1500, iso 100, metering spot, aperture priority, exposure bias -1 ev, cropped

This is a good start, a few things to work on:

With the composition the helmet is pretty close to the top so a little more negative space would help, also having the bottom include that much ice does not add much detail so in this case I would have moved it up a little.

Could you post the original un-cropped version?

One thing I would do is crop it to the 3:2 aspect ratio instead of 4:3 that it is in now. The reason for this is I like the position of the bike over to the left of the composition but wish I could see more of the snow being picked up instead of the abrupt cut off.

With the shutter speed I would increase or decrease it/pan, the reason is right now you have almost frozen the action but the tires are still blurry. With these images you have 2 camps to go into, the first is to go with the fastest shutter possible so you freeze every bit of detail. You are pretty close there, another stop or 2 could do it. This would look amazing in the snow because while you would freeze all movement there would still be that giant rooster tail coming from the rear tire showing the movement, and freezing that motion would look great.

The other option is the slower shutter speed and to pan, here you are trying to show the movement of the bike through certain areas of the composition having motion blur while the bike itself/rider stay in focus. If he was coming right at you though this would be a good bit harder and you would have to keep it with a steady movement of the focus....which I just thought up in my head never tried but theoretically should work.

For these shots in general I would go for shutter priority so you have greater control of this.

With the exposure it is a little underexposed right now and I would avoid spot metering since so many things can come into play. Since you are at that corner what I would do is pick your shutter speed then mess with the ISO/aperture until you get the right exposure then shoot manually. Unless the sun is coming in and out of clouds it should be pretty constant and this way you will have that ideal exposure/shutter speed no matter what. Just check every 10 minutes or so to see if the light changed.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 01-19-2011, 06:07 AM   #500
Doc.Snyder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
I like this one a lot just 2 little things.

I wish the area in focus was a little closer to include the head, naturally my eye goes there first and it is just that little bit out of focus to look off. But you have amazing detail in the body so this is not a huge thing.

For the composition this part is hard but I think a little bit more to the right. The reason is right now the antenna is pretty close to the left edge not leaving much negative space feeling a bit cramped. Even though it is technically centered looking at it I feel you could do put it slightly off and since the detail of the grasshopper is all on the left side it would seem centered since the rear of the bug is pretty simple so the most detailed area would be in the front. But for this the focus would have to be moved up.

Thinking some more just moving back a tiny bit would give that breathing room at the left edge of the frame and it would make the depth of field a little bit wider so more of the grasshopper is in focus.
you're right. but it was difficult enough to get this with a point and shoot camera in the first place ;-)
Old 02-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #501
Klasjm
R100gs

raw
1/1000 second shutter
iso 100
f 5.3 kit lens
focal length 165
B&W
processed in Lightroom 4

Old 02-18-2013, 07:25 PM   #502
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,507
Quote:
Post questions about your camera or lens choices.

Post images for critique.

Give me something productive to do while laid up
so....I'm in the pits at the Dallas SX this weekend. Guy walks buy with enough money in Nikon product hanging off him to buy BMW. Like a 5 series...

he's got a D3, a D3S, and a D4. A 24-105 or there abouts, I assume F2.8, and a 300 prime F2.8 and a 200 prime F2. This boy was loaded for bear. Chatted for awhile and asked about the D4, the odd card arrangement, says he's using the Sony card because he stuck the Sony card in the CF slot and bent a pin, but he's got a 32 gig sony card which is plenty as he shoote jpeg.

really I asked, I though shooting RAW was another hill I needed to climb.

he basically said jpegs are practically as good, they've been blown up to billboard size, and RAW is for if you shoot and fuck up a lot then there is more flexibility in fixing it, or words to that effect.

in other words he doesn't shoot raw and doesn't lose sleep at night because of it..

just thought I'd throw it out there...

and throw one up from the Dallas SX.

nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #503
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
so....I'm in the pits at the Dallas SX this weekend. Guy walks buy with enough money in Nikon product hanging off him to buy BMW. Like a 5 series...

he's got a D3, a D3S, and a D4. A 24-105 or there abouts, I assume F2.8, and a 300 prime F2.8 and a 200 prime F2. This boy was loaded for bear. Chatted for awhile and asked about the D4, the odd card arrangement, says he's using the Sony card because he stuck the Sony card in the CF slot and bent a pin, but he's got a 32 gig sony card which is plenty as he shoote jpeg.

really I asked, I though shooting RAW was another hill I needed to climb.

he basically said jpegs are practically as good, they've been blown up to billboard size, and RAW is for if you shoot and fuck up a lot then there is more flexibility in fixing it, or words to that effect.

in other words he doesn't shoot raw and doesn't lose sleep at night because of it..

just thought I'd throw it out there...

and throw one up from the Dallas SX.

I think I need to see some more of this subject matter to give a proper opinion

As for RAW VS Jpeg I used to shoot lots of Jpeg for situations like motorcycle races due to card size limitations. If you do this the big thing is getting the Jpeg settings close to your ideal. But now with 32GB cards especially with the D3/4 you have more than enough room so that advantage isn't nearly as clear. And with programs like lightroom you make a base development profile and just put it on all of em. If the lighting changed for awhile you'll have that latitude to fix the exposure.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #504
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klasjm View Post

raw
1/1000 second shutter
iso 100
f 5.3 kit lens
focal length 165
B&W
processed in Lightroom 4

The vignetting is pretty strong, I'd ease it in so it's more subtle.

But you picked a hard subject with this one, the snow was exposed for middle grey so ideally you'd want that to be closer to white. But looking at the bike some parts are already close to being blown out so doing so would really do a number on it. The first question is there enough there to make the snow lighter and have it look natural still (and not something that has just been pushed a good amount) and if there is you have 2 options One is fully in lightroom where you just do a mask over the rider or background to set a different exposure. The other and what I'd do is to export 2 images into photoshop and then cut on part out leaving

I know that sounds like a good bit of work but think of it this way, back in the day you'd have to do a print, cut out the rider, attach that cut out to a thin wire (which you hope doesn't show much, otherwise that's even more work), expose the print for the rider, then move that stick back and forth slightly to slightly feather in the dodging.

As for the composition the rider is pretty centered and I don't know if static is the right word here but it could get some more movement to it. If you did it landscape instead of portrait and put the rider all the way to the right you could get a lot of that tail really showing the movement. Now if the tail isn't long enough feel free to crop it down like it looks like you've done here.

I feel this is a good starting point, if you could camp yourself out on a corner like that and just experiment with different compositions that would be ideal. I haven't shot ice racing before but the idea I gave with the tail of snow going up looks great but also is a standard go to. If you just mess around you might find that doing X could look really cool and have a totally unique image.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #505
Kaanan
Knee deep in snow.

Oddometer: 588
Kaanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #506
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,833
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:02 AM   #507
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaanan View Post
I'll do a write up later (gotta start prepping for a shoot so I don't have the time I'd like to spend on it) but a quick technical question, how long was that exposure

Also that metering was pretty damn good, a little longer and if you could ignore the star streaks it would look like daytime. But it hit the snow for middle grey, not ideal but it's what the metering system looks for. Was this an auto or manual exposure? And what camera?

Old 02-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #508
Flood
F5lood.

Oddometer: 10,161
OK that's sweet. It's the bloody red of the lighthouse that does it for me. And the fact that there's still detail in the the lighthouse fire.

RallyRAIDio on Twitter
RallyRAIDio on Facebook
Flood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #509
Klasjm
R100gs

Quote:
As for the composition the rider is pretty centered and I don't know if static is the right word here but it could get some more movement to it. If you did it landscape instead of portrait and put the rider all the way to the right you could get a lot of that tail really showing the movement. Now if the tail isn't long enough feel free to crop it down like it looks like you've done here.

This zoomed and cropped photo was shot a few seconds before the Black and White photo.
I am very careful were I set up, as the tire spikes are scary.

Thanks for your comments.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:40 PM   #510
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

No problem, oh and Klasjm and Kaanan would it be OK if I try out some crops of your images and post the results? Looking at these images I see some compositions that I think you might like.

NikonsAndVStroms screwed with this post 02-20-2013 at 10:52 PM

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: